• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nursery Road lozells

Patricia watson

Brummie babby
I saw a photo of our house, which was built over the Villa St post office run by Mr and Mrs Reeves, and next door to Singl etons where they made packing crates. I can't find the photo but if anyone has this picture, I really would appreciate it being posted again.The name plate is also visible.

hi patricia and welcome to the forum..i lived in villa st from 58 to 72 and have many photos of nursery road before demo...when were you living above the post office...is this the photo you want you are welcome to save it the date of the photo is 1964

lyn

villa st post office.JPG

hi patricia and welcome to the forum..i lived in villa st from 58 to 72 and have many photos of nursery road before demo...when were you living above the post office...is this the photo you want you are welcome to save it the date of the photo is 1964

lyn

View attachment 129224
Thank you lyn. I am so pleased that I can send my brother a copy.He is now 86 and went to Kegs Aston along with Mike and Peter, but has lived abroad for 60 years!
Did you know Ann Sirr? She lived just below the general store with the wide frontage.Thanks again!

Sorry, forgot your question in my excitement.
We lived over the post office from 1947, I got married from there in 1963 and my parents moved to Edgbaston shortly after. My husband John and I went to see the house while on a visit in 2004......stunned at how that whole corner is flattened with everything else still there!
It is said never go back. How true!

glad that is the correct photo patricia....so you and i were only living a couple of mins away from each other when you got married..what a small world...almost all of nursery road on both sides had been demolished and rebuilt on by the 1980s and of course the same with villa street...yes i know they say dont look back but to be honest i go down the old end quite often for a walk around with my camera as there is still enough of it left to bring back so many happy memories and that is something they cant take away from us:) the name sirr rings bells but i cant be certain..

have you seen any other photos of nursery road before demo?? if not i will happily post you a few...nice to talk to someone else from the old end

lyn

Last edited:
I would love to see more pictures of Nursery Road particularly as it is all gone.
I appreciate your time, and as you said, it's a small world getting smaller all the time!
Have a great day.

ok give me a few mins i will sort a few choice ones that i hope you remember...the one of the four corners of villa st and nursery road is one of my favourites as on the corners we have the cafe..berts veg shop..the post office and the crown pub

lyn

images i grew up with mort..i have a few more but having problems resizing..will try again later i am totally convinced that the lady standing at the no 8 bus stop in pic 1 is our mom and my brother

lyn

alan no not caused by bombing...i believe there was a gas explosion the building was used by a company that made artificial limbs...i do have another shot of it as a complete building taken in the 50s will post it once i sort out the resizing problem i have

My dad worked for the council housing department in the early 60’s. He worked from James Street Depot but also talked about Depot X, as he and his workmates called it.

It was a small lean too shed adjacent to a house in Nursery Road. The shed had a fireplace connected to the adjacent house and there was a workbench and a few other bits and bobs in there. He said it was a small maintenance compound from the days of the Barber Trust who owned a few houses in this area.

Does anyone else have any recollection of this?

My dad worked for the council housing department in the early 60’s. He worked from James Street Depot but also talked about Depot X, as he and his workmates called it.

It was a small lean too shed adjacent to a house in Nursery Road. The shed had a fireplace connected to the adjacent house and there was a workbench and a few other bits and bobs in there. He said it was a small maintenance compound from the days of the Barber Trust who owned a few houses in this area.

Does anyone else have any recollection of this?

hi mort could it have been the building in my last but one photo...taken in 1950 and called the atlas works then but could have been used by the council later on? looking at the walls of what was once a house to the left of atlas works there would have been an old fireplace i think....just an idea mort as i lived down there from 58 to 72 and at the min cant think of anywhere else but i will ask a mate from the old end who is a tad older than i am and probably has a better memory lol

lyn

Great photo’s Lyn, I enjoy seeing new photos I haven’t seen before. At the bottom of the road is that the Carnegie building and all the Jewellery buildings (Samuels). My sister worked down there.

hi jackie..carnegie is out of shot on the right...the building you see is part of h samuel showing the roof of a building behind it...still there today here is todays view

hi mort could it have been the building in my last but one photo...taken in 1950 and called the atlas works then but could have been used by the council later on? looking at the walls of what was once a house to the left of atlas works there would have been an old fireplace i think....just an idea mort as i lived down there from 58 to 72 and at the min cant think of anywhere else but i will ask a mate from the old end who is a tad older than i am and probably has a better memory lol

lyn

Thanks Lyn, I recall it may have been near the corner of Nursery Road and Carpenters Road

lyn

View attachment 129224
Small world this is, when bored at lunchtime in the office I read various forums, and first thing in the office I call BHF up and browse alerts and the new forum entries. The only reason that I look at Lozells, Winson Green and Ladywood is because of the years when Dad was the political agent for the Conservatives in that Parliamentary Constituency and Victor Yates was the MP, but this post office was one which when I was out with Dad we visited and he spent long hours talking to the staff in there, brought back a lot of memories. The one shop and name I cannot remember is his very close friend who ran a shop in the constituency and drove a prewar Rover, the name was I am sure Jeff, but I cannot remember if that was his first name or a corruption of his last name and while a lot of the pictures remind me of the hours I spent delivering political literature in the area, none of the shop pictures stand out.

Bob

hi jackie..carnegie is out of shot on the right...the building you see is part of h samuel showing the roof of a building behind it...still there today here is todays view

Hi Lyn, it’s changed since I last saw it. Use to pass that way on the no.8 on my way to work.

viv i know someone who still lives in church st been there almost 80 years...on the left by the telegraph pole used to be oneils scrap yard which backed onto my back garden from villa st...

lyn

Hello Astoness,
Do you have any photos of the old Salvation Army Church on Nursery Road? I was born in 1951 at home in Nursery Grove which was directly opposite to the church. We left there in 1956 to live in Castle Bromwich, what a change that was. Nursery Grove was demolished ? when and doesn't appear on any maps I can find. I went to Anglesey Street primary school until we moved. I can almost remember the journey from home to the school. Any photos that you may have would be great to see. Thanks

hi mercury and welcome to the forum lovely to meet someone else from the old end :) ...i lived in villa st off nursery road from 1958 to 1972...have you seen all of the old photos i have posted of nursery road on this thread ? the one on post 8 pic 3 is of nursery grove your place of birth..our dad being the local window clearner cleaned all of the groves windows but of course this would have been after your family moved..demolished late 60s early 70s...the sally army is still standing..i do have a couple of older photos of it but i am quite busy today but will put them on asap...actually if you use the search box and ut in salvation army nursery road i think we have a thread for it with old photos ...

lyn

Last edited:
hi mercury and welcome to the forum lovely to meet someone else from the old end :) ...i lived in villa st off nursery road from 1958 to 1972...have you seen all of the old photos i have posted of nursery road on this thread ? the one on post 8 pic 3 is of nursery grove your place of birth..our dad being the local window clearner cleaned all of the groves windows but of course this would have been after your family moved..demolished late 60s early 70s...the sally army is still standing..i do have a couple of older photos of it but i am quite busy today but will put them on asap...actually if you use the search box and ut in salvation army nursery road i think we have a thread for it with old photos ...

lyn
Sorry to chase! if you find any more photos, please show them! :)

Back