• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nursery Road lozells

hi patricia and welcome to the forum..i lived in villa st from 58 to 72 and have many photos of nursery road before demo...when were you living above the post office...is this the photo you want you are welcome to save it the date of the photo is 1964

lyn

View attachment 129224
Small world this is, when bored at lunchtime in the office I read various forums, and first thing in the office I call BHF up and browse alerts and the new forum entries. The only reason that I look at Lozells, Winson Green and Ladywood is because of the years when Dad was the political agent for the Conservatives in that Parliamentary Constituency and Victor Yates was the MP, but this post office was one which when I was out with Dad we visited and he spent long hours talking to the staff in there, brought back a lot of memories. The one shop and name I cannot remember is his very close friend who ran a shop in the constituency and drove a prewar Rover, the name was I am sure Jeff, but I cannot remember if that was his first name or a corruption of his last name and while a lot of the pictures remind me of the hours I spent delivering political literature in the area, none of the shop pictures stand out.

Bob

hi jackie..carnegie is out of shot on the right...the building you see is part of h samuel showing the roof of a building behind it...still there today here is todays view

Hi Lyn, it’s changed since I last saw it. Use to pass that way on the no.8 on my way to work.

viv i know someone who still lives in church st been there almost 80 years...on the left by the telegraph pole used to be oneils scrap yard which backed onto my back garden from villa st...

lyn

Hello Astoness,
Do you have any photos of the old Salvation Army Church on Nursery Road? I was born in 1951 at home in Nursery Grove which was directly opposite to the church. We left there in 1956 to live in Castle Bromwich, what a change that was. Nursery Grove was demolished ? when and doesn't appear on any maps I can find. I went to Anglesey Street primary school until we moved. I can almost remember the journey from home to the school. Any photos that you may have would be great to see. Thanks

hi mercury and welcome to the forum lovely to meet someone else from the old end :) ...i lived in villa st off nursery road from 1958 to 1972...have you seen all of the old photos i have posted of nursery road on this thread ? the one on post 8 pic 3 is of nursery grove your place of birth..our dad being the local window clearner cleaned all of the groves windows but of course this would have been after your family moved..demolished late 60s early 70s...the sally army is still standing..i do have a couple of older photos of it but i am quite busy today but will put them on asap...actually if you use the search box and ut in salvation army nursery road i think we have a thread for it with old photos ...

lyn

Last edited:
hi mercury and welcome to the forum lovely to meet someone else from the old end :) ...i lived in villa st off nursery road from 1958 to 1972...have you seen all of the old photos i have posted of nursery road on this thread ? the one on post 8 pic 3 is of nursery grove your place of birth..our dad being the local window clearner cleaned all of the groves windows but of course this would have been after your family moved..demolished late 60s early 70s...the sally army is still standing..i do have a couple of older photos of it but i am quite busy today but will put them on asap...actually if you use the search box and ut in salvation army nursery road i think we have a thread for it with old photos ...

lyn
Sorry to chase! if you find any more photos, please show them! :)

Back