• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

nursery rd/villa st

villa street

Villa20St_.jpg

villa st 1970..i was still living here when these 2 pics were taken..
this one is taken looking down from wills st towards nursery road..the factory on the right is southall and smiths and the gap next to it was where the villa tavern once stood..the white building on the left is copes pearl button factory..

villast21970-1.jpg

close up of the little green shop you can see on the previous pic

Villa_Street_28229-1.jpg

Last edited:
villa st..early 1900s looking up from nursery road..this is the pic that started me off over four years ago collecting old pics of brum...kindly send to me by phil..my house is 11 up from the right hand corner..

villa20street20220large.jpg

taken yesterday from the same spot as the previous pic looking up from nursery road..villa st is again undergoing yet another change...the lovely grassed area at the top of the street is all but gone to make way for more houses...the one good thing about this is at least the street and its name will remain..
work being carried out in the distance..

VILLASTREET011.jpg

Last edited:
for those of you who know the area the building on the top left is the angel pub as was..corner of wills st and george st..

VILLASTREET007.jpg

Didn't know Nora Battie lived in your street Lyn.

lol john...i think that pic is just wonderful..such a typical sight in those days...that lady was there well before i moved into the street in 58 and i think she was still there when we moved out in 72...shes looking at whoever took that pic and looks like shes going to clock him one with the broom...

lyn

hi!
love these pics. thanks for sharing them :)
my great great grandad william steeles lived on villa street in 1910 so it was nice to look at the pics to see what it looked like.
i noticed it says 9 LIME PLACE VILLA STREET. If anyone knows i would love to know what the 9 lime place means how come it doesnt just say 9 villa street?

hello grandaughter82 i would imagine that no 9 lime place villa st was a little row of houses that you had to access from the main street....i am sure ive seen lime place marked out on a map somewhere but can cant it at the min..

if our map expert mike spots this post hopefully he can help you..

lyn

Lyn gives a good description of what "places" were. I cannot find a Lime place listed on the electoral roll or in a directory. This would be because each of these places, or terraces, or whatever, also were called Courts, and each was given a number. Whether the address is listed as a court or a place seems to depend on nothing in particular, and could differ over time and on whether you were looking at a map or the electoral roll. Sometimes, because of changes and extensions of roads, at different times more than one court has been given the same number
Having got over that explanation, I can say that in 1912 the electoral roll showed William Steele as being at 9 court 2 villa st. This seems is between nos 39 and 41 villa st, next to and almost combined with court 3, and it is not clear exactly where the boundary was. But would guess that court 2 is that in red, and court 3 in blue. It should be noted that there is also another court 2, but that is at a different position in the street.
I hope my explanation has not thoroughly confused you. If it has just say that it is one of the houses in red, probably one farthest from villa st

map_c_1913_showing_courts_2_and_3_villa_st.jpg

This is great thankyou so much.
So keen to learn more about the road and see photos. Roads and houses on villa street seemed very confusing lol. Were the houses very small ? Many bedrooms? If I went to the library would I get to see photos of what they looked like on the inside?

This is great thankyou so much.
So keen to learn more about the road and see photos. Roads and houses on villa street seemed very confusing lol. Were the houses very small ? Many bedrooms? If I went to the library would I get to see photos of what they looked like on the inside?

i lived in villa st from 58 to 72 and to be honest the houses came in all different shapes and sizes..there was nothing regimental...the central library is now completely closed to the public because the new one opens this year but not until sept...its doubtful that you would find any pics of the inside of the houses but its worth asking...

lyn

edit.jpg mikegee this is the certificate i found with the lime place address. is this the same place as the 9 court 2 villa street you found on the electrol roll as you mentioned you couldnt find lime place on the electrol roll? :)

What i meant to say, but perhaps did not explain very well was that i could not find it called Lime Place. I did find your relation two years later at no 9 court 2, and I am pretty certain that the two are the same (marked on the map previously).

Hi I lived in Burbury St and was wondering can you tell me the name of the church that was on Nursery Rd before Newtown was built. And any other buildings my mind has gone blank. Thank you.

Patrick.

Hi I lived in Burbury St and was wondering can you tell me the name of the church that was on Nursery Rd before Newtown was built. And any other buildings my mind has gone blank. Thank you.

Patrick.

hello patrick and welcome...if you go to post 61 on this thread there are 2 pics of st silas mission hall that was on the corner of nursery road and wellesley st...do you mean this one ??

lyn

Back