• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

nursery rd/villa st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. as i have quite a large collection of photos of nursery rd/villa st i think i should start a new thread like all the pics are under one roof. it also saves confusion. as some of you know i have put a few under the thread nursery road newagents. i am now going to ask keith if he can remove them from there if possable and put them under this thread. here are the new ones. i hope. wales.

the crown pub. and the 4 corners of villa st/nursery road. on the corners are the cafe. fruit shop. post office and the crown pub

a better look at the post office. and a shot looking toward the 4 corners. the white van is outside the cafe. the shop a bit further up from the van is where we used to buy our jubblies. remember them?

this is last for now. its hunters vale(just off the bottom end of villa st) as far as i know it was when after heavy rains hockley brook which was next to it came over and flooded out houses etc. like i said i am hoping to have the others pics on the nursery road newagents thread transfered over to here. hope you enjoy them. best wishes wales.

a better look at the post office. and a shot looking toward the 4 corners. the white van is outside the cafe. the shop a bit further up from the van is where we used to buy our jubblies. remember them?

Wales - was the post office on the corner of Nursery Road and Hunters Vale?

no keith. hunters vale was at the bottom end of villa street. the post off was on the corner of nursery road and villa st. if you look at pic 4 it shows the 4 corners. wales.

no keith. hunters vale was at the bottom end of villa street. the post off was on the corner of nursery road and villa st. if you look at pic 4 it shows the 4 corners. wales.

Age, we forget more each day? Thanks Wales. I had a school mate who lived in Hunters Vale his nickname was Coxie

my dad was born in hunters vale 1939. then war damage took over and they moved just round the corner to num 50 villa st in the maisonettes thats still there. his house was right next to the brook. he still goes down there to take a look and of course pay a visit the the queens head pub.

wales, map shows part of Nursery Raod, Mission halls and location of the Vine Inn in Villa Street

ray. you are an angel. that just the sort of map i needed. im having so much trouble finding a pic of the vine pub i was beginning to doubt it ever existed. i can now pinpoint my house. going up from nursery road on the right was numb 98 the veg shop. so if i count up from there to num 118 theres my house. thanks ever so much. wales.

wales, pleased to have helped a little.

I had no doubt it existed as one mate lived in Villa Street (Tony Thomson?) and Dennis Carter lived at the bottom of the Groves in Nursery Road ( in picture), both asked me to go amd see what it was like, I can’t remember if I ever did though. My mind tells me we had a challenge from someone in there to see who could drink the fastest x number of pints that was circa early 60’s.

When I bump into Dennis I will ask him if he as a photo, a long shot, but worth asking.

Ray

hi ray i would be grateful if you could ask around. you never know. i dont know how old your friends would be but i dont recall the names. i will ask my bro and dad. dad sort of knew everybody. he played darts for the vine and sports argus. the vine is where he taught me to play. even though a girl of about 13 or 14 prob shouldnt have been in a pub in those days. we were usually only allowed in the gardens. dad may have cleaned your windows for all we know. he had a large round and did most of the pubs in the area. (spending more time cleaning the insides) ha ha. i do have a pic somewhere of his ladders propped up against the swan pub on the corner of villa st/farm st. as usual dad was nowhere to be seen. just his ladder and bucket. thanks again. wales.

hi all. i am postin a pic of the inside of the vine inn villa street under the pubs thread. wales

hi ray and all. just found that pic of the swan corner of villa street/farm st. if you look to the right you will see dads short ladder propped against the wall and his bucket is round the corner. the guy walking past is not dad. give you one guess where he was. ha ha

Hi wales, I was born in Defford Place, then moved into the bottom of Anglesey St when about 14 so as mates and I were round the same age we would have been drinking around there among other places up to circa 1964 (not saying what age we started to drink (big grin), but if you caused no trouble you normally got away with it)

From my age you can see why the Nursery Rd etc pictures are not only very good but also relevant to my time around there (1945 – 64). Not long after I left there I moved to a back to back in Wharf St which was off Park Road

The Swan is where the No 8 turned into Farm Street going towards Hockley if my memory serves me correct?. Don’t blame your dad having a refreshing drink after cleaning all those windows.

Ray

hi ray. glad you enjoyed the pics. yes you are right about the no 8 bus. i think i may have just a couple more pics to put on here. will look tomorrow and post them. all the best wales.

Hi Ray

Thanks for the piccies it was lovely to see all those houses again. Was the White Swan the pub down the bottom of Farm Street - I seem to recall it had a small courtyard outside? Have you any pictures of George Baines, the bakers, on the corner of Farm Street and Hunters Road, and the house above it?

Harborne

hi harborne. glad you like the pics i posted. yes the white swan was on the corner of farm st/villa st. diagogally accross from farm st infants and juniors. i will have a look for geo baines the bakers. it must have been not far from the queens head pub which is still there. wales.

hi harborne. been surfing around as they say. ive found a reference to geo baines bakery in finch road handsworth. there is a pic to go with it but im not sure if its of finch road or farm st/hunters road as it does not say. it is on a corner so it may be the one you are looking for. anyway here it is. have a look and let me know. wales. ps quality is not very good

I think this must be the Finch Road one, Wales. The Hunters Road/Farm Street had the doorway on the corner and of course both roads were quite long and fully built up, as I recall. There was an advert painted on the building across the road for 'Dulux' and 'Dulite' paints. I think that was the corner of Soho Rd but not sure. Thanks Wales.

Harborne

hi harborne. i thought it may be that one. dont worry ive got you down in me little black book of pictures to find.

Wondered why Nursery road was named such. Was it because it ran by the tree and shrub nursery that was at the Soho road in the 1800s

hi all..after admiring so much what john knight can do with a normal black and white pic he very kindly offered to do a little something with some of my pics of nursery road....i think they are great and will be printing them off and framing them...thanks again john i do appreciate it....hope you all like them....

the 1st one is a map of the area.

lyn

Back