• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nursery at Tyburn

kazhutt11

Brummie babby
This is a long shot but I am looking for information on a nursery that was at Tyburn, it is marked on an old map and I vaguely remember the cottages being at the end of Humberstone Road Pye Hayes when I was a child, my Mom and her family lived on Humberstone Road for a number of years. I think a McDonalds is now located on top of the old nursery or very close to it? The Hill family lived in the cottages and I am wondering if they worked at or ran the nursery marked on the map, James and Hannah Hill nee Sanders lived there, there were nine children my great grandmother Florence being number 8, she had a child out of wedlock then married Lyndon Fritz Barnabus Lett and subsequently had a few children of their own. They eventually lived at 1070 Chester Road just up the road from the cottages, long gone now when the area was redeveloped by they were nearly opposite The Baggot Pub. Where can I find out about the nursery on the map, I have attached a picture. These maps are all kept by https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.0&lat=52.52119&lon=-1.80108&layers=6&b=1 National library of Scotland and are free to access?
Thanks for reading my lengthy post.
Kind regards
Karen

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-28 140915.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-28 140915.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
You should note that the mao you show is dated c1902, so long before any family you remember

My great grandmother Florence was living there when she had her child and family in 1897, the map I believe covers 1888-1913, that's what it says when I look at it and of course I would not know them as I wasn't born until the 60's and Florence died in the 50's.I have a vague memory of some cottages as a child of the 70's visiting my Nan in Humberstone Road, my branch of the Lett lived there from the 1940's until Nan past in the 1990's. I cannot remember the cottages being knocked down but it may be my family had nothing to do with the nursery at all and I am off on a tangent, but that is family history for you.

I see James is listed as a labourer/general labourer on the censuses. So from that, I don't think he would have ran the nursery. As a labourer I doubt his work was permanent at any one place so there is a possibility that he may have worked there (if it was there at that time) but proving that is probably impossible.

Last edited:
I see James is listed as a labourer/general labourer on the censuses. So from that, I don't think he would have ran the nursery. As a labourer I doubt his work was permanent at any one place so there is a possibility that he may have worked there (if it was there at that time) but proving that is probably impossible.
Thanks for the reply. James was born in Theberton Suffolk, I presume he moved for work purposes, I very much doubt too he owned the nursery, he may never have had anything to do with the place either, but family say that the Hill family lived in the cottages just outside of Humberstone Road, when looking at the map, which the time frame isn't to bad on and having looked at an older version of a map the nursery is still there. James died in 1902. His wife was from Castle Bromwich, I don't have much info on them as yet.
Again, thanks for your input.

Kind regards
Karen

My great grandmother Florence was living there when she had her child and family in 1897, the map I believe covers 1888-1913, that's what it says when I look at it and of course I would not know them as I wasn't born until the 60's and Florence died in the 50's.I have a vague memory of some cottages as a child of the 70's visiting my Nan in Humberstone Road, my branch of the Lett lived there from the 1940's until Nan past in the 1990's. I cannot remember the cottages being knocked down but it may be my family had nothing to do with the nursery at all and I am off on a tangent, but that is family history for you.
The nursery is not marked on the 1887 map but, as Mike says, is on the 1902 edition (published 1905).
1666978041223.png
1666978115768.png

James is also described as a labourer on his marriage cert to Hannah in 1858

Hello to you. I am probably way off the mark and this bit of info is totally irrelevant but we lived right on the top of Gunter Road where it met Chester Road from 1955 to 1970. My older brother had a mate who lived right in the patch you are describing. His name might mean something. His name was PETER HILL. I know he went to Gunter Road School and possibly Paget Road Seniors. Peter was also a good mate of Steven Smith who's family ran Jones Newsagents opposite where you are talking about. My best mate lived at 1098 Chester Road so he was definitely a neighbour of the family you are talking about. (I also had friends who lived in the Issac Langley big house that was literally opposite the spot that you think may have been the nursery site. It is now one of the roads into GKN (Hardy Spicer's back then).
As I said all that is probably no use to you but somehow I feel it's just nice to reminisce (or ramble on). Good luck in you quest.
Best wishes,
GT.

Hi, I don't remember the nursery you mention but my grandmother was Florence who lived at 1070 Chester road. I used to stay there in the 1950's when her daughter Gladys lived at the house. i also remember uncle Graham and aunt Ada who lived at no 30 Humberstone road. My dad was Stanley Lett

Hello to you. I am probably way off the mark and this bit of info is totally irrelevant but we lived right on the top of Gunter Road where it met Chester Road from 1955 to 1970. My older brother had a mate who lived right in the patch you are describing. His name might mean something. His name was PETER HILL. I know he went to Gunter Road School and possibly Paget Road Seniors. Peter was also a good mate of Steven Smith who's family ran Jones Newsagents opposite where you are talking about. My best mate lived at 1098 Chester Road so he was definitely a neighbour of the family you are talking about. (I also had friends who lived in the Issac Langley big house that was literally opposite the spot that you think may have been the nursery site. It is now one of the roads into GKN (Hardy Spicer's back then).
As I said all that is probably no use to you but somehow I feel it's just nice to reminisce (or ramble on). Good luck in you quest.
Best wishes,
GT.
Thank you for replying, the family name was Hill!!!! What a small world.

Hi, I don't remember the nursery you mention but my grandmother was Florence who lived at 1070 Chester road. I used to stay there in the 1950's when her daughter Gladys lived at the house. i also remember uncle Graham and aunt Ada who lived at no 30 Humberstone road. My dad was Stanley Lett
Hello, we are distantly related I believe, my mother is Sandra Graham and Ada's child!!!!! I have pictures of your family I believe given to me my another branch. Small world and nice to connect with you.

Back