• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Northfield Road Harborne

Laura-Jen

master brummie
Afternoon all,

I have spent the past few months trying to find 141 Northfield Road Harborne, my grandfather was born at this address in 1930 so would love to trace it. I live locally and there doesn’t appear to be in existence anymore. I have looked at old maps and the buildings along the road on both sides don’t really appear to have changed in the last 80 years. I have found the property on the 1911 census but not where on the road it is. What I can’t find is if the road has ever been renumbered, possibly after 1930. I have counted up to 105 before Tibbats Close, I have emailed the almshouses which are relatively knew but occupy the site of previous buildings but had no response. The golf course has been there for over 100 years and cannot find any trace on maps of buildings between the almshouses and Quinton Road.
Does anyone have any resources regards possibly renumbering?

Thanks
Laura

I don't know the answer but on a 1916 map (best scale I could find) there is a group of properties on the side of the golf course just past the almshouses. They are still visible on a 1938 map ( not such a good scale). In the 1915 Kelly's 141 is listed between Tibbetts Lane and "lane to Selly Oak". (Not all houses are listed but it places it in the area of the houses on the map if I have read thing correctly.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-8_19-30-44.png
    upload_2018-3-8_19-30-44.png
    225 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
In the Kelly's it puts the Almshouses and then lists a carpenter at 141. Just had a thought I will try and check the e roll in a bit.

On the e roll the numbering jumps from 105 (you know where that is as it is still there I think) to 133 and then odd numbers up to 141. This means you can work out which house of the group on the map it was likely to have been.

Back