• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

NORMA QUIBELL...CYCLO GEAR POTTERS HILL ASTON

Quibell

proper brummie kid
My mother worked before / during / and after WW2 for the Cyclo gear company in Aston.
She was Norma Quibell and lived in Handsworth.
Mom is on the left of this picture ; can anyone identify the young lady on the right.

Forum instructions for uploading photos see below .... :)
If you can, copy them and print the instructions so you can read them as you attach your photo.

My mother worked before / during / and after WW2 for the Cyclo gear company in Aston.
She was Norma Quibell and lived in Handsworth.
Mom is on the left of this picture ; can anyone identify the young lady on the right.
Seems photo not included. I'll have to see what I've done wrong. Sorry
Quibell
You have not posted a picture
Thank you.... Picture is attaching, than being g cancelled. I must be doing something wrong. I'll need to work on it. Sorry .

Now I can't see a picture either, but I going to have a guess.
Could it possibly be Eileen Sheridan?
eileen sheridan2.JPG

Seems photo not included. I'll have to see what I've done wrong. Sorry

Thank you.... Picture is attaching, than being g cancelled. I must be doing something wrong. I'll need to work on it. Sorry .
It is probably too large. It can be reduced using "paint".

This is the photo Quibell has kindly sent me privately

My mother Norma Quibell (left in the photo) worked in the Cyclo Gear company before, during and after the war, as a shorthand typist, and Louis Camllis was my God Father.
This picture shows my mother walking I think through Canon Hill Park.
It would be really interesting to identify the lady on the right of the photo.

pictureC3.jpg

Rob. Closer examination of picture and it doesn't look like Eileen. Also, I reckon picture taken just pre WW2. I can always be proved wrong .

Quibell - Let's see what others think, if my theory is wrong we have to work on looking for someone who remembers your mother at the Cyclo Gear company in Potters Hill, Aston, before, during & after the war.
Eileen Sheridan's (nee Shaw) first race was in 1945 (she would have been nearly 22 then).
I thought the lady in the photo may have been wearing a circular (cycling club badge?) in the
large photo like the one on the photo to the right or is it a button? - RobT

3picsT.jpg

Last edited:
Ah Bob. Didn't notice the badge. Well spotted. It would be great if someone who was connected to Cyclo Gear, or Louis Camillis, could throw some light on this. Again, thanks for your help.

Quibell - You mentioned Louis Camillis was your God Father, I found this document
Louis Camillis doc.jpg

There is also mention of Cyclo Gear in another thread on here

Finally perhaps a mod could add "Looking for Norma Quibell's Friend & Link with Cyclo Gear" to the title of this thread. Instead of just 'Help'

hello quibell....dont know if this is any good to you..you may already have it..a photo of cyclo gear potters hill with workers outside....is that a lady kneeling down?...could it be your mom?...the date is 1951 which is within the time frame that your mom worked there i believe

lyn

Aston Potters Hill  Cyclo Gear Co. 1951 .jpg

hello quibell....dont know if this is any good to you..you may already have it..a photo of cyclo gear potters hill with workers outside....is that a lady kneeling down?...could it be your mom?...the date is 1951 which is within the time frame that your mom worked there i believe

lyn

View attachment 144224
thanks Lyn. Difficult to identify the individual kneeling at the front, but it could be Mom. Thanks for the input.

Graham, You say your mother was a Shorthand Typist at Cyclo Gear, do you know how many office staff worked there?
Were there many Shorthand Typists? Whereabouts in Handsworth had you & your mother lived? Did Louis Camillis ever visit your mother's house? Sorry to ask questions but it may bring out some interesting replies from other members.
Regards, RobT

Graham, You say your mother was a Shorthand Typist at Cyclo Gear, do you know how many office staff worked there?
Were there many Shorthand Typists? Whereabouts in Handsworth had you & your mother lived? Did Louis Camillis ever visit your mother's house? Sorry to ask questions but it may bring out some interesting replies from other members.
Regards, RobT
Hello, I am Louis De Camillis´s granddaughter. My son came across this forum as we are currently researching the family history, and asked me if I knew anything. My mother, Jeannette, Louis daughter might have some information.
We have a large archive of photos from the Cyclo years. I will take a look to see if there are any further photos as well.
kind wishes
Jackie

Rob. Closer examination of picture and it doesn't look like Eileen. Also, I reckon picture taken just pre WW2. I can always be proved wrong .

Hello, I am Louis De Camillis´s granddaughter. My son came across this forum as we are currently researching the family history, and asked me if I knew anything. My mother, Jeannette, Louis daughter might have some information.
We have a large archive of photos from the Cyclo years. I will take a look to see if there are any further photos as well.
kind wishes
Jackie

kind wishes
Jackie
Really great to hear from you Jackie. I have no idea how many typists / Secretary s were in the Cyclo Gear company, but there couldn't have been that many. I have almost no memory of Louis for reasons I would explain in an email if I could get your address. Mom worked there I believe immediately after WW2 and Louis became great friends with my parents, Pat and Norma, who your mother may well remember. We lived in Windermere Road, Handsworth, then latter out in Wall Heath, by Kingswinford, but the move was long after Mom left Cyclo Gear. Please send your email address !

Really great to hear from you Jackie. I have no idea how many typists / Secretary s were in the Cyclo Gear company, but there couldn't have been that many. I have almost no memory of Louis for reasons I would explain in an email if I could get your address. Mom worked there I believe immediately after WW2 and Louis became great friends with my parents, Pat and Norma, who your mother may well remember. We lived in Windermere Road, Handsworth, then latter out in Wall Heath, by Kingswinford, but the move was long after Mom left Cyclo Gear. Please send your email address !

Last edited:

lyn

View attachment 144224
A view I've not seen for years. This is Victoria Road near the junction of Whitehead Rd and was the view opposite from where I lived 1959-1967.

Back