• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

No More Buses In Corparation St

horsencart

master brummie
From June or July of this year there the buses will no longer hold sway in Corporation St and the reason for this is work is to start on the tramway when they stop the buses going into Corporation St this will be the first time since..., I am certain that this will be the first time ever? they have stopped the buses running in Corporation St in the past had buses running every way but sideways, although a few driver have tried,

Work on making the new arrangement I E moving sewers and putting in a new roadway, have started, from Moor St the roadworks will in time continue up to the Old Square?, so all those that catch the 37 or 16 to the Markets you have been told,

It is with some irony I note that the work on the tramway is to start in June or July as we all know the trams finished in the 4 JULY 1953

Ah, so that's what they wanted Witton Depot back for!

Actually this is the first thing I have heard about Brum going back to trams - has anyone got a link to the proposed routes please?

Maurice :calm:

Thanks for the link, Jennyann, so really an extension of the light railway from Snow Hill to New Street? I thought you were going to get a proper tram system for a minute! :smug: An extension to the Airport would make a lot more sense, but I can't see that even getting thought about in the current economic climate and the outlook is not good.

Maurice :calm:

Should make for complete chaos on the buses then, let alone for the passengers as you can bet the inspctos (if they still exist) won't be round when they are needed lol!
Our bus from tamworth comes into town onto the top of Corporation Street before swinging into Bull Street where it stops outside the old Grays building, will give Arriva the chance to stop it, eaving our side of Tamworth with no direct link to Brum :( - bad news for us if there is another meet at the Bull lol!
Sue

I note that one of the service vehicles preparing the roadway at Moor St has a registration that end with CVP (come back B.C.T. all is forgiven)

another sign of the times, lets hope the cost price dos't quadruple as in other towns, although I was in Dublin last year and was most impressed, if they join airport, exibition centre, and main town should be exciting.

I will have to make sure and get over for plenty of photos before the changes take place.

Yes Paul the Dublin system is good, I was sceptical at first but last year they opened a branch within 30 mins walk from my house and some days I do use it and have been won over. There are two main unconnected lines, one is built on the trackbed of a former railway line but the other is completely new and has branches off it at both ends. Some buses were re-located as a result and some bus services were also withdrawn. Virtually no buildings were demolished to make way for the tramway. There is no link to Dublin airport and won't be for the forseeable future given the financial state we are in over here!

I note that when I looked the other day Six trees were cut down to make way for the tram I suspect the final tall will be more

They were mature trees and in good condition there were two? in Bull Street (now gone) and there was a tree every 50 feet? or so there were two trees at the junction of Corparation St and New St I suspect that they may now have gone, they were the lungs of the city center

How long have the trees been there I cannot remember a blade of grass in Corporation St.Dek

Back