• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NewStreet Aston

nos 33 to 53 new st...aston

bookpics023.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lyn
Great photo i have not seen this one before. Thanks for sharing it with us.

regards Stars

hi stars...pics of this street are few are far between i think....ps wish i had that lampost in me back garden lol

lyn

Hi Lyn.
I put the photo in a program and and zoomed in i see the shop says either danes or dares General Stores, the sign is blocking it, perhaps one of our members will know,
either that or could you ask who ever took the photo to pop back in the morning and take it again without the post. Thanks again.
Regards Stars

should be able to do a kellys look up on that shop to determine the correct number of it....will go and see if it says dares or danes..if mike sees this post he maybe alble to help with the kellys...

The original post #1 image was captioned in a book as New John Street and this thread has since been edited. All posts relating to NJS/NJSW have been moved to a separate thread about New John Street & New John Street West here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/new-john-street-west-new-john-street.1267/

The block of flats in my pic #1 is still there...

the caption in the book says new john st when really it is as john said of new st aston....

thanks john for noticing the error...

lyn

Hello, this is my first ever post on this very nice forum, so please be kind.
The shop is indeed 53 New Street and this is the shop of Hilda Dawes, she was a beautiful lady, very smart.
The shop was a wonderful place, big jars of things like you would find in a Chemist, she used to give me Liquorice Root for chewing in School

Welcome Paul. Great to get confirmation about the New St (Aston) shop. And nice to hear your memories of the shop.

Yes, it's a nice forum ! I hope you'll enjoy exploring Brum history with us. Viv.

Hello Paul,
Welcome to the Forum. Anything you an tell us about the Birmingham of yesteryear is very welcome. We used to use the root you describe but called it India Root. I have not heard of it for years so suspect that you are not in the first flush of youth
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)
The shop is indeed 53 New Street and this is the shop of Hilda Dawes, she was a beautiful lady, very smart.
The shop was a wonderful place, big jars of things like you would find in a Chemist, she used to give me Liquorice Root for chewing in School

Hello Paul,
Welcome to the Forum. Anything you an tell us about the Birmingham of yesteryear is very welcome. We used to use the root you describe but called it India Root. I have not heard of it for years so suspect that you are not in the first flush of youth
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)
Born 1956, so a mere baby , I have seen lots of pictures in the forum, a few I do have information about, I was very well know in Alma Street, working in my Nans shop, and selling cigarettes in twos in triangular paper bags, and looking after her "strap book"

Hi Chris and Paul. Liquorice root seems to be making a comeback as I notice all these new (old fashioned) sweet shops are stocking it. Think it's an acquired taste though. Viv.

Do feel free to add any comments to threads. We have lots of interested (or maybe nosey like me) members who'd love to hear more ! Viv.

Welcome Paul! Just across the street from the shop lived an ex girlfriend of mine called Sheila Bromwich, not sure of the spelling...it was a very short lived relationship. If you were born in '56, as you say, you were just a "babby", so I don't expect you to know her but New St had other attractions at the "bottom end" like the Globe Cinema and the arcade that we called the Bingo.
Dave A

bookpics023.jpg
Mrs Dawes was a widow. A truly lovely lady. The shop was an herbalists I remember the root liquorice. She also sold herbal cigarettes. Cheaper than Woodbines or Park Drive but a bit like smoking dried grass.She was "a bit posh" having an inside toilet,bathroom with a shower and obviously HOT and cold running water. When I was about 14 during the School summer holidays I helped her paint the outside front of the shop and was paid. A bottle green. I originally lived at number 35,my grannies house (2cnd from the right) and we later moved to !/33 {behind the 1st on the right).

overtons bookies new st aston

img557.jpg
I remember Overtons when betting was illegal. A man stood around the front step taking the bets. There was no signage. In the summer at night they left the radio on. It was set on a horse racing channel. People would stand outside listening to the races and results.I remember one day playing marbles in the gutter. Every few yards I found a sixpence and put it in my trouserpocket and now searching for sipences. I pick my last one turned and there was a policeman He "what you going" I replied "nothing I just found this sixpence". He told me to go home and let me keep the sixpence and the others he knew nothing about. I suspect an Overtons customer had won some money and had hole in his pocket.

bookpics023.jpg
Thevan belong to the man that lived at the house with the bow curtains. He converted it to a camper. Cutting out the windows etc. He did all the work on the side of the road....no garages to rent locally with a power supply. He was married and I think his name was Johnny

hello danny welcome to the forum...thanks for your memories of new street...enjoy as there is a lot of brum history on here and if you have any photos of the st we would love to see them....thanks

lyn

bookpics023.jpg
The four hoses on the right were " back to backs". There would have been another four below them but they had been bombed in the war and the site was "a bomb peck". The house that were behind them on the far side of the remained intact and occupied. The air raid shelters were fully intact for those houses destroyed and those that remained. The house that backed onto the 3rd and 4th houses form the right were derelict having been bombed but not totally demolished

hello danny welcome to the forum...thanks for your memories of new street...enjoy as there is a lot of brum history on here and if you have any photos of the st we would love to see them....thanks

lyn
Sadly I don`t. I was looking for photos and came across this site. Delighted to find that photo.Bought back memories

Sadly I don`t. I was looking for photos and came across this site. Delighted to find that photo.Bought back memories
I'm from Paddington St like Lyn...however, I do have some memories of New St. Wasn't the Globe Cinema at one end and across the road from the Globe was an arcade we called the Bingo? I also have memories of a girl I dated a couple of times that lived at the upper end near Alma St. She lived up a large entry, something like the one in the photo. Her name was Sheila Bromidge (spelling) it would have been in the early 50's
Dave A

The photo Lyn posted on #1 is one I haven't seen before. I too remember buying those liquorice sticks (we called them "Spanish Sticks"). Apologies if this photo is somewhere else on the Birmingham History website. There is another photo showing Mrs Herbert's shop on the corner of Whitehead Street, but I think that's on the Alma St thread. I must add that this photo always saddens me, so many memories of that area.
New St Alma St Demolition 1968 copy.jpg

sorry folks i accidently messed up the last thread..i only wanted to delete one post and the whole thread went:rolleyes: so am starting another one for these photos...could i ask mike and rob to repost their kellys findings for the outdoor...thank you

lyn

Aston - New Street No 18-19 - 16-7-1959.jpgNew Street Aston 11-4-1960.jpgNew Street Aston Evangelical Church 7-12-1956.jpg

Attachments

• New Street No 17 Aston 30-12-1960.jpg
    New Street No 17 Aston 30-12-1960.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
You naughty girl!
I thought I was going crazy. I knew I had seen these pics, but early this morning and not at 11.04 when I was not at home. :laughing:

Back