• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

NewSt Station 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just received this message from Cross Country Trains
Allow extra time at Birmingham New Street station
From Friday 21 November 2014, Network Rail will be implementing crowd control measures at Birmingham New Street station on Friday evenings and at weekends to prevent overcrowding on the platforms over the festive season. The measures will also be in place on Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 December.
During this time, you may be asked to wait a short while on the station concourse to allow platforms to clear during busy times.
If you're travelling from Birmingham New Street, or changing trains there, please allow extra time to catch your train.

It is as I thought would happen, There is no extra capacity on the platforms. All this work is so that they can hold the passengers on the concourse. We are still going to get overcrowding on the platforms meaning that they have to close access to the trains if there are too many passengers.

I'm heading through New Street at the weekend! (after heading from Moor Street to New Street to get my connecting XC train).

There's about half an hour or more between my trains (based on the timetable I've checked).

When I went to Gloucester in August, it was a bit busy!

Hope it isn't too crowded!

It wasn't too bad. Although on Saturday morning it seemed a bit crowded on the concourse. Coming back today at lunchtime wasn't as crowded.

Some photos

We got a taxi (instead of a local train to Moor Street), and got dropped off at the new taxi drop off point

Grand Central is coming in 10 months

Shiny surface seen from our train (raining at the time)

Seen today under the Bullring / St Martin's Queensway

I had no idea there was a 'local train' connecting New St to Moor St - which route does that take? I wonder if the new tram extension goes to Moor St?

Mike.

You misunderstand - we planned to get a train from Hall Green to Moor Street (but after all those signal problems we got a taxi here instead).

That link would be walking between the two stations! (it is impossible to get a train from New St to Moor St).

Although the New St trains go under Moor St.

New St is now well sign posted for your walk to connecting trains to Moor St (Snow Hill lines).

Probably my final 2014 photos of the redevelopment.

St Martin's Queensway / Smallbrook Queensway facade coming along!

Christmas surprise from Virgin Trains - Traindeer (had already heard about this Pendolino online)

The view down on Dudley Street as seen from the bridge on Smallbrook Queensway

More from the left of John Lewis

Doesn't appear to have been any external progress to the car park in more than a year!

And it might be called Grand Central Car Park when it does open!

Some recent photos

Station Street

Dudley Street

St Martin's Queensway

Pavement works - near the Bullring

Near TK Maxx - site of a new square

Overhead cables and under the Moor Street linkbridge

Some more photos. Last of January 2015.

Navigation Street view

Hill Street footbridge

Hill St / Station St eye (under it)

Down Station St

Station St / Dudley St view

The bubble roof as seen from Corporation Street

Viewed from Swallow Street

General station views from Swallow Street - looks like the ramp to the car park is staying!

New danger signs that have been installed on Swallow Street and Brunel Street (on the high walls)

Some photos from platform 4A / 5A

New paving

Attempted to take the exposed ceiling at concourse level

Meanwhile one of the paths near St Martin's Queensway is finished

Structure around the car park has gone up, ready for the shiny panels!

As seen from Brunel Street and Swallow Street

very good pictures well taken, but I am sorry from my prospective, it still looks a complete dogs breakfast, a shambles, and still dingy and dark.

Photo update

Hill Street

Station Street

Outside The Crown pub (closed)

Up on St Martin's Queensway - saw a First Midland Red bus rout 144 turning to head to Worcester. Near the Bullring link bridge

Moor Street link bridge now covered over

And one in front of the main station facade

It looks like the choice of lots of reflective cladding is an attempt to brighten the areas around the station. I remember Station Street as a very dark area. No character, the back end, forgotten etc, etc. Stephenson Street had also become darker and very enclosed as a result of the concrete used to surround the station. I do hope the finished project will be worth the investment, but there are aspects of it that hark back to the 1960s concrete nightmare. We'll just have to wait and see. Viv.

The concrete will be hidden under all the shinny cladding, and the supporting structures.

On Station Street is a couple of Chinese places.

And the opposite side of Stephenson Street is much nicer now.

Was loads of people leaving the station and walking past the Midland Metro Works on Stephenson Street and Stephenson Place.

Photos on the Birmingham Post of the completed demolition below the new atrium

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/bu...ty/pictures-new-street-station-atrium-8721907

Been to Wolverhampton today. Changed from the Snow Hill lines at Smethwick Galton Bridge in the morning.

But returned via Birmingham New Street in the afternoon.

Some photos from the new look platform 1 (the 1A end)

A look at platform 2

New sign

View towards the Bullring

Under the Moor Street linkbridge

Towards platform 4 and beyond

Another 1

New escalator - it wasn't turned on, so I walked up them!

Top of the escalator.

Escalator safety sign - digital / animated

Disruption next month on the West Coast Mainline (delayed due to the landslide between Leamington Spa and Banbury)

The last time I saw the Station it reminded me of a half-eaten Christmas turkey wrapped in cooking foil! Onlookers were also rather bemused as to the purpose of the cladding, and the cost of the "cover-up".
I find all those wavy lines quite unsettling, and I feel unsteady. I'm just a stick-in the-mud I suppose.
The photos are very good though ellbrown, thank you.
rosie.

Thanks Rosie.

Gives a good first impression to tourists / visitors to the city, instead of the old concrete version we've had for the last almost 50 years!

Will encourage more people to go up / down Hill Street and Station Street. Is already busier around there with more people than ever (heading to Victoria Square or to the Chinese Quarter etc).

Few minor photos from the Bullring link

Paving near the Bullring side is all finished (I think).

They are still constructing the new square over what was the void.

Thanks Rosie.

Will encourage more people to go up / down Hill Street and Station Street. Is already busier around there with more people than ever (heading to Victoria Square or to the Chinese Quarter etc).

Hi Ell. I think the point you make about encouraging people to use Hill St etc is an important one. Remember this side of the City Centre as being empty a lot of the time. If it's extends business out that way, it must be for the good. Hopefully it bodes well for the future of the new Paradise development.

Re. Your photos. For people like me who haven't lived in B'Ham for a very long time it's interesting to see how it's developing. Thankfully some churches are still standing in your photos to help me get my bearings! Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back