• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Two Fires in Birmingham

Fire_in_angelina_st.jpg
Fire_in_Skinner_Lane.jpg

Tipton slasher assaulted - brave man to do it.

Tipton_slasher_assaulted.jpg

Mike,

Thank you for these excerpts from the newspaper 100 years ago. What fascinates me is that they report what happened in every detail. Todays papers just tend to give the bare facts and the rest of the paper is full of articles some of which are of interest but most are rubbish.

Old Boy

I agree with you concerning reports of incidents. The same is true of council and court reports, though I suspect the average reader today would glaze over at the thought of nearly a page of closely written type on one trial, especially if on 4 days a week the paper was only 4 pages long ( 8 pages on Mondays & Thursdays), and of that about half was advertisments, classified or other.

Lyn,

I see that you have thanked Mike for his post at 2104. Do you intend to go there next weekend to see if these nefarious actions are still taking place?

Chris Beresford

Lyn,

I see that you have thanked Mike for his post at 2104. Do you intend to go there next weekend to see if these nefarious actions are still taking place?

Chris Beresford

absolutely not chris...dont think me heart could take it if they were ha ha..

lyn

No gerrymandering there then, of course this was a time when deference and obeying ones superiours, was expected and demanded, most employment was run on quasi military lines, as was society.Paul

It is a long time since I did history at school so I don't remember what the franchise was in 1865 but I expect that it was still property based.

It was not until 1918 that all men over 21 and some women were given the right to vote.

Hi mike and old boy
Regarding your comments on the news papers reporting of such acts of criminal activvy and how in thou,s days the press printed every detail of the aspects of
Crimes committed
Yes I agree mike a lot of people today just climpse through it, I myself do read every print of story,s what ever the case may be
Whether it be true is another matter, but never nor less they are quite detailed may I had
Most papers had a little extra to the story or get it right and that depends of the people reporting it
Last week I was in our local paper for rescuring. A child of three years old and his mother by pulling them out
After the car went out of control for speeding around our bend after it as just been resurfacing of chipping
It landed down a sub way and was hanging over and crushed car the car was was truly rammed almost upside down
I was the only one around in the early hours of the morning the car was steaming and the bonnet was smoking heavvyly
I had a job to get them out but I had to fight to get them out and dragging them out and to safety eventually a nurse was passing
And she came down to me and she attended to to them she kept the mother talking and I myself with the child whom was badly hurt
The lady had broken ribbs ,broken ankle and damage to her pelvis,
A day or two later the press printed the story they got a picture of the car danger long down over the sub way from an ambulance driver
Whom taken the picture of the car and forwarded to a news paper
Whom as you say put what they thought of there version, this was coming from a free paper that goes around the area and districts of Bromsgrove and word
But our own paper the word news do what yourself and old boy said in those days they give you word for word and descriptions of colour and alsorts
It readership is not really a high volume but they do print accurately to the finest detail
So accurately if Mrs X cat had kittens today they would print the ex act time of arrival and colour and how many to the dot
That's how they are precise in printing there story's out here in word
That's why its the only newspaper that print accurately today compared to all the other national new papers do today
I found your story very interesting indeed thank you mike and old boy for your threads
Best wishes Alan,,Astonian,,,,,

Colonel and Chief Constable of Staffordshire

I think up until the Second World War, Chief Constables were often ex Army officers rather than career police officers.

Accident in north tunnel at New St station causes unnecessary panic. This is just first half of report which is rather long.

Railway_accident_in_north_tunnel_part.jpg

Just a reminder that John Henry Chamberlain was not related to the Chamberlain family of civic renown but he was the architect of many buildings within the city including work for the Chamberlain family.

Last edited:
With the interest in old buildings do you know where in Grange Road this rather grand sounding house was to be found? Maps/old picture etc. I have a vague recollection of an upmarket property near to where Grange Road merged with Green Lane

It was on the corner with Coventry road. as seen on the map c 1889, grange house in red. At this time it was a big house, and presumably the grounds were aas big in 1965, though the house might have been smaller

map_c_1889_showing_grange_House_on_corner_of_Grange_road_and_coventry_road.jpg

Did not realise pipes were made in Birmingham, but there were obviously several makers. Not sure if they are clay pipes, but probably so

pipemakers_of_area.jpg

Actually "very", expensive for the day, so not surprising that archaeologists, tend to find pipes worn to a nub, blackened by tobacco, as these were used and used, until worn out.Paul

My Dad had a long clay pipe which he called a "Churchwarden". He broke it but mended it with some brass tubing! I don't remember him using it as he preferred his "Falcon" and a cherrywood one.
rosie.

My husband still smokes his Churchwarden pipe which he bought in Solihull about five years ago.
many years ago my aunt worked at Singleton & Cole and they made many types of pipes and all the men in the family were given s pipe at Christmas.

From the report it sounds as if dogfighting, though frowned upon for causing a disturbance, was not considered illegal

dog_fighting.jpg

Dog fighting, bear baiting, and bull baiting were officially outlawed in England by the Humane Act of 1835.[2] The official ban on all fights, however, actually served to promote dog fighting in England.[9] Since a small amount of space was required for the pit where a dog fight took place, as compared to the ring needed for bull or bear baiting, authorities had a difficult time enforcing the ban on dog fighting.[9]

Accident at the ballet at Holders Music Hall (never associated a music hall with ballet, but they were trying to make them selves respectable at the time) which caused some consternation

accident_at_ballet_at_holders_music_hall.jpg

Fire in Coleshill St

fire_in_coleshill_st.jpg

An apparent message from the grave - though he does not say how we may communicate with him to satisfy his request to contact him

letter_from_the_grave.jpg

I heard sometime ago that Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery are regularly asked to authenticate David Cox pictures and there are many that are not genuine.

Back