• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

One can envision this report describing a Hogarth picture

Like_a_verbal_hogarth.jpg

I suppose this was the precursor of the Sunday tram ride to the Lickeys.
Complaints from an indignant minister.
This must have been a sight to see.

precursor_of_the_tram.jpg

complaints_from_a_minister.jpg

love_letter_mania.jpg

Coincidence that the watchman was named Howell, as was the owner of the house. Just as well the women weren't decked out in crinolines. The Globe insurance co. must have been a widespread business, had an ancestor who was a Globe agent in the very early 1800s but up in Cheshire. Until now thought it was just a small, northern company. Viv.

Viv
It looks like the Globe had only recently had an agent in Birmingham. I can find no adverts for the globe in the Birmingham Post before this other than the one below, three weeks before, though there are references to claims on it. Presumably these policies were negotiated with agents outside the city.

Globe_insurance_7_3_1864.jpg

Thanks Mike that's quite likely. I think the Globe and Lloyds had a bit of a ding dong over covering marine insurance way before the 1860s but can't remember the exact details. So maybe up until the mid-1800s Lloyds exerted some influence over which insurance companies could/could not operate out of Birmingham. Just speculating, not 100% sure about the details, will have to go and look it up. Viv.

Parade to commemorate the (first) anniversary of the formation of the volunteer fire brigade

anniversary_of_volunteer_fire_brigade.jpg

I don't think that was the Temple St fire station Viv. This was where the entrance to the Trocadero is now. See the cutting below, which i have put on previously but think was lost

Trocadero_cutting_1979~0.jpg

Sounds a bit of anarchy exists in birm ingham police. A sergeant accuses an officer of drunkenness, when no one seems to think he was very drunk, and a fight ensues. The sergeant admits to having had 3 pints, he can't remember where, but does remember he only paid for one himself.

insubordinate_policeman.jpg

Further confirmation of the position of the old post office confirming post 1355 & 1356
According to this "Insanity is not to be considered an illness". Sounds like one of the made-up clauses insurance companies use today.

Old_post_office~0.jpg

insanity_not_an_illness.jpg

Opening of new dining hall in Cambridge St , adding to the two that were already provided to give the less well off working man a good meal - don't know about the women.

opening_of_new_dining_hall.jpg

Love it..N.B.Ladies are expected to attend. Ha Ha. Lovely list of such well known names though, great gems thanks Mike.

Ladies are Expected to attend reminds me of what I think is a classic line in one of the Sharpe's Riffles TV series. At a mess dinner Sharpe, objecting to some of the language used, commented "There are ladies present so I hope that there are gentlemen present also."

No April Fools pranks in the B'ham Post then? Did newspapers do that in the 1860s? Maybe they'll report on pranks tomorrow? Viv.

Could be useful, as long as you remembered it was in your pocket and did not trap yourself in it.

pickpocket_trap.jpg

The publicans must have thought someone was taking the mickey when they saw "beersellers would rejoice in an opportunity to secure to themselves the blessing of sunday rest". Bit like saying today that politicians would rejoice at having the opportunity to rest their vocal chords by means of a gag.

New church proposed for sparkbrook. Presumably Christchurch, which was certainly an imposing building

The altercation must have been interesting to spectators.

temperance_try-on.jpg

Proposed_new_church_at_Sparkbrook.jpg

pelican_versus_swan.jpg

The result of the dispute mentioned a fortnight ago regarding Blackroot pool , Sutton Coldfield.

letting_of_Blackroot_pool.jpg

There must have been a lot of items for the sale to take 4 days. Do you know if anything happened in 1864 to cause this sale?

Miss Wolferstan occupied the castle in 1844, as a tenant, and the tenant in 1865 is listed as William Edward Wood, according to an archeological survey by wessex Archeology
(https://minisites.tamworth.gov.uk/pdf/Archaeology report 9-11-09.pdf). However a timeline by the friends of Tamworth castle states that Miss Wolferstan dies in 1869, and Mr Wood then becomes tenant. That is all I can find. Maybe Miss Wolferstan left the castle in 1864.

I think they must have out the wrong date on the timeline Mike because I was just looking to see if I could find anything happening at the castle in 1864 and found that Miss Wolferstan died in 1862.
This is from the Birmingham Daily Post 3rd January 1862
wolferstan_January_32C_1862.JPG

Garibaldi, the Italian nationalist who seems to have become the pin-up of the Victorians, male & female, is to visit Birmingham.
One sometimes gets the impression that people at this time enjoyed hangings as a spectacle, and they were to continue till 1868, but from this cutting it appears that public revulsion to the practice had already spread.
Awful conditions and an awful result, but, even without the unfortunate result , the thought of sleeping, and other things, in a crinoline seem pretty difficult.

Garibaldi_to_visit_Birmingham.jpg

dislike_of_hanging.jpg

sleeping_and_death_in_a_crinoline.jpg

Back