• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newcomers to BHF - a place to introduce yourself

Johnfromstaffs

Johnfromstaffs
Born, along with my two brothers (both now gone) on the same day in 1948 in a nursing home called St. Chad’s in Harborne.
Dad from Smethwick, Mum from Stafford, RAF to blame for that.
Grown up outside the city, and an adopted Staffy since 1950.
The family seems now to be everywhere except Birmingham.

Cheers all.
jfs

hello john and welcome to the forum and of course you can stay :) hope you find the forum of interest..small tip is use the search box top right of the page to find what you are looking for ie (type in st chads nursing home harborne) something may turn up and we may have a dedicated thread for it...any problems please let us know

lyn

Born, along with my two brothers (both now gone) on the same day in 1948 in a nursing home called St. Chad’s in Harborne.

Cheers all.
jfs
welcome. we hope you will stay.

Thanks for your welcomes.
Although I left Quinton for the rural delights of Staffs about 70 years ago, my family remained in Smethwick until relatively recently so I hope I may have something to offer.
At the very least I may learn something, which is always good.

Cheers
John

Cheers all.
jfs
I'm a yam-yam and they put up with me .... just, so you're expanding the Staffs presence!

Hello, I am new to this forum. I was born in Dudley Road hospital in 1945, and lived at 12, Springthorpe Road, Pype Hayes, with my parents and maternal grandparents, from birth until I married in 1978. I went to Paget Road Junior School, 1949-1957, then Saltley Grammar School, 1957-64. Then I went on to Exeter University to study Mathematics, and later Wolverhampton Polytechnic to study Economics. I worked in the Borough Treasurer's Dept., Sutton Coldfield, 1965-69, the the Treasurer's Dept. of the Aldridge-Brownhills Urban District Council, 1969-1970. At local government reorganisation I moved to the City Treasurer's Dept., Birmingham, where I worked from 1970 till 1980. In 1980 I moved, together with my Nebraska-born wife, Susan, to San Francisco, where I worked in a succession of jobs over the next 30 years, the most notable being the Chief Financial Officer of a department of the State of California, then the Chief Financial Officer of an international High Voltage Electrical Manufacturer. I retired in 2011, and now live in Redlands, Southern California, with my eldest daughter, Katherine, and her husband.
I have two children; Katherine, born San Francisco 1983, and Josephine, born San Francisco 1987. Both have their bachelors and masters degrees.
My hobbies are railways, model railways, genealogy, building and playing mediaeval string instruments, stereoscopic (3D) photographs, linguistics, recording my own music.

Welcome Alan.
I am sure you will find something of interest to you in our various sections.
We have sections in Schools for both Paget road and Saltley grammar.

One especially for you, Alan!

GWR "Lady of Legend" entering Bewdley Station this morning, hauling the Severn Valley Railway rake of gleaming chocolate and cream GWR coaches. Looked magnificent in the sunshine.

(A new-build - or sort of - having its first experience of three or four weeks of extended running....)

ChrisIMG_1718.jpg

Welcome Alan.
I am sure you will find something of interest to you in our various sections.
We have sections in Schools for both Paget road and Saltley grammar.
On Facebook, I'm the Administrator of the Saltley Grammar School Alumni group.
Anyone who went there should check it out.

One especially for you, Alan!

GWR "Lady of Legend" entering Bewdley Station this morning, hauling the Severn Valley Railway rake of gleaming chocolate and cream GWR coaches. Looked magnificent in the sunshine.

(A new-build - or sort of - having its first experience of three or four weeks of extended running....)

ChrisView attachment 156374
I've been following the new build project since its inception. This is the first photograph I've seen of it on a train.

Hello I'm sure you the members on this forum , thought me ignorant for not introducing my self , My name is McGill , you can and I prefer to be called Mac if that's ok with you it's ok with me I've lived in Ladywood Aston Great Barr etc , cheers let's get on with it

Welcome to the Forum Mac. I don't ever remember introducing myself and I joined Mar 2009, it never crossed my mind ! I was born in Aston, then moved to Sheldon, Shirley, back to Aston, Erdington and now Chelmsley Wood. Eric

Hello I'm sure you the members on this forum , thought me ignorant for not introducing my self , My name is McGill , you can and I prefer to be called Mac if that's ok with you it's ok with me I've lived in Ladywood Aston Great Barr etc , cheers let's get on with it
Welcome Mac! Many Astonites on the Forum and very good place, glad your here!

Hi there my name is Sue and I live in the northeast of England. Researching our family tree and it turns out we have strong Dudley roots Am I in the right place? My great grandfather William Vickers son of Paul Vickers and Elizabeth Crawford moved north
Just connected with descendants of his brother John Vickers still living in the area but from what I can see huge family presence in the area and we know next to nothing about them or the history. Looking to verify or debunk family tales
Anyway wanted to hello

Back