• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street Post Offices until 1873

BrumMack

master brummie
A detailed (albeit lengthy) account of the need for the new P.O. on Paradise Street/Hill Street in September 1873, just as the new building was about to open for business. The description of the old New Street P.O (at #61 New Street ?) sounds dire. So no wonder a better P.O. was demanded.

The P.O. at the junction of Paradise St/Hill St can only have been in use as the GPO for 17 years before the GPO in Ells photo # 4 was built and P.O. operations were moved across the road (Hill St) to that 1890 building.

Viv.
Two points: :)
1) The previous central Post Office prior to the one opened in 1873 on the corner of Hill Street and Paradise Street was located in the building that was once Wilday's New Royal Hotel next door to the Theatre Royal. This was just across the road from the Bennett's Hill junction with New Street, which is where the two previous central Post Offices were located.

2) The attachment, which dates from 1877 shows the three central Post Offices prior to the first Paradise Street one (this is a public domain document held by Birmingham Museums Trust).

Attachments

• Birmingham Central Three Birmingham Post Offices 1877 1996V148.114 BMAG PD.jpg
    Birmingham Central Three Birmingham Post Offices 1877 1996V148.114 BMAG PD.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
Thank you Richard that’s a great addition to this thread. I think the second and third buildings depicted in the drawing are new information which I don’t think has been mentioned before. It certainly helps to make sense of the reference to the New Street Office in the September 1877 newspaper article below. I couldn’t relate the description of the interior with Post Office #1 in the drawing.

EF4F04B3-9AF2-4FDB-B9E8-F87D1200FB0C.jpeg

It’s surprising (and slightly confusing) as to how many central Post Offices there have been. But the drawing provides the missing links. Viv.

Last edited:
The third building in Richard’s image post #1 when it was the New Royal Hotel (was located near to present-day Ethel Street). It was originally a private residence built by Joseph Green in 1774 and called Portugal House. It was extended by Wilday in 1830. Viv.

738879A9-2142-423D-A462-3557155E8D16.jpeg

The reference written on this Wilday’s trade card “New Street ... near to Post Office” must refer to the second image in the drawing of the post office in Richard’s post #1 ie before it moved into Wilday’s hotel building. Viv.

C1451AAD-14DB-430F-B8BA-E8D7D8FAFFA6.jpeg

In the 1830s there was a post office on Bennett’s Hill according to this extract from the Birmingham Gazette dated 14/8/1930. Viv.

F4D2F640-D8C8-40D8-AA22-EAC93799D304.jpeg
Source: Birmingham Newspaper Archive

it seems to have been on the corner with new St. as shown on the Piggott Smith c1824 map.

map c1824 showing post office bennetts hill.jpg

It seems to be different to that drawn by Samuel Lines

Post Office by samuel lines.jpg

Oh of course Mike it must be connected with one we’ve discussed before on New Street. Maybe it was extended up Bennett’s Hill ? But see what you mean about it not tying in with Lines’ drawing.

Shall move posts to the New Street PO thread. Thanks. Viv.

Last edited:
Bill Dargue suggests that Bennett’s Hill (as a Street) was laid out c1820. So was the Lines’ drawing before this date ? The Lines drawing also has a handwritten note saying, I think, “opening to Bennett’s Hill”. Perhaps at that time it was just a hill and you accessed it through an opening not man-made road. Viv.

Yes, it all fits, though still a bit surprised that the Post Office was described as being on Bennetts Hill, when it had been on New St and described as on New St, ,before Bennetts Hill was constructed

Lines painted this image in 1821. It’s from the mappingbirmingham.blogspot link here http://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.com/2013/01/samuel-lines-from-dome-of-st-philips.html

Helpfully it labels the various buildings. Label ‘C’ is the Post Office, with label “D” showing the coach yard behind it. Sometime around this time, Bennett’s Hill as a Street would be laid. Viv.

View attachment 160759View attachment 160760
gosh i wonder what the people back then would may of the view today

lyn

Reading the extract in post #5 again it says “in Bennett’s-hill”. I wonder if this meant the area of Bennett’s Hill rather than the road ? According to point ‘H’ in post #9, all the green area around Bennett’s Hill House was known as Bennetts-hill. So that might explain the use of “in Bennett’s-Hill”.

Viv.

Thank you Richard that’s a great addition to this thread. I think the second and third buildings depicted in the drawing are new information which I don’t think has been mentioned before. It certainly helps to make sense of the reference to the New Street Office in the September 1877 newspaper article below. I couldn’t relate the description of the interior with Post Office #1 in the drawing.

View attachment 160718

It’s surprising (and slightly confusing) as to how many central Post Offices there have been. But the drawing provides the missing links. Viv.
I am trying to clarify the timeline and have looked at these sources:
1) Thomas Harman's 'Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham', 1885?
2) Samuel Lines landscape painting of Birmingham from the viewpoint of St Phillips Cathedra Dome, 1821 posted by Vivienne14 in post No.9 above
3) RK Dent's 'Old & New Birmingham', 1880 and 'Making of Birmingham', 1894
4) The drawing with the three Post Offices in my post at No.1 post above
5) The New Street frontage view and Pigott's map of 1824 posted by 'mikejee' in post No.6 above
6) Kelly's Directory of Birmingham for 1845, 1850, 1855, 1867, 1872, 1872.

According to Harman (p250), there was a post office opened in 1783 and this was believed to be the Bennett's Hill site on New Street.
Dent 1894, describing the appearance of the town in 1800 describes the Post Office on New Street at Bennett's Hill as a plain two-storey house (p.240). Harman (p250) provides further detail, stating the site included a 'rickyard' with accommodation for mail-coaches and stabling for horses. This is consistent with the Samuel Lines landscape and the frontage view. That is both of those artworks were created before Bennett's Hill was cut.

At some point after 1800 Bennett's Hill - the Street - was cut. Now from the Samuel Lines landscape painting this had not occurred by 1821 but, the Piggott Smith map indicates it had been completed by 1824.
However, this does not necessarily mean that the Post Office building shown in the middle of the three Post Office drawings was built immediately. Both Harman and Dent mention that when the street was laid out the Post Office was 'slightly altered' to 'give a covered approach to the letterbox window' (Harman, p250) through the construction of a 'Penthouse' on the gable end of the building (Dent, 1894, p355). Further Dent, mentions a change to mail-coaches and horses being provided by the hotels. This presumably because the 'rickyard' and stables had to go to accommodate Bennett's Hill, the Street.

So when was the Post Office building in the middle drawing constructed? Dent,1894 (p450), in his retrospective of changes in Birmingham between 1825 and 1850 mentions that the 'old world village post office of the early years of the century had given way to a building of more official appearance in the corner of New Street and Bennett’s Hill, with a porch supported on Doric columns'. Further in his description of Birmingham in 1832, Dent (1880, p429) refers to the Post Office as a ‘a new and rather imposing structure … at the western corner of Bennett’s Hill.’ This would appear to be a possible description of the Post Office in the middle drawing. That would put the construction of that building to be between 1825 and 1832.

The next major change for the New Street / Bennett's Street Post Office was the move to the old 'New Royal Hotel' premises across the street at Nos 92-3 New Street. This occurred on 19th October 1842 and the central Post Office remained at this site until 1873 when it moved into the then new Paradise Street building opposite the Town Hall.

Postscript: the building vacated by the Post Office in 1842, continued in existence under the name of 'Post Office Buildings' with non-Post Office occupiers, until sometime between 1855 and 1867 (Kelly's Directories), when it would appear to have been demolished.
The New Street 'New Royal Hotel' premises was demolished when the Post Office moved out c.1873.

Last edited:
it seems to have been on the corner with new St. as shown on the Piggott Smith c1824 map.

View attachment 160756

It seems to be different to that drawn by Samuel Lines

View attachment 160758
Just on dating this excellent map. It shows the Society of Arts Building. According to Roy Thornton's 'Lost Buildings of Birmingham' that building was opened in 1829. So it would appear the map dates to no earlier than then.

Last edited:
The Bir8ingham Archives date map as 1824, 1825 (from National Archive index)
That prompted me to do some more digging. The map could well be 1824/5. According to RK Dent, 'Making of Birmingham,' 1894, the Society of Arts purchased the Panorama building on New Street in 1822. This could be what is shown on the map. They then later commissioned a purpose built replacement which opened in 1829.

Back