• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street City Centre Birmingham

Awnings were very common, all over the country, pre the 1960's when so much of the past - often very useful things - were considered non"U", (who remembers that expression? ;) )and got rid of. Usually nothing of real value replaced these things.
Blinds and awnings not only, as recorded in Viviennes post, kept the shop/stores cool, protected merchandise on display but more over - and very important for the shop or store - allowed window shoppers to view the displays and not have sunshine and heat beating down upon them. Conversely they achieved another form of protection in wet weather.

But awnings also made it more difficult, and costly to do a quick makeover of the shop with a new fancy fascia, as they often had a name on them and would be more expensive to replace. I think this might hav ehad some bearing on their disappearance

Vivienne,great pictures.Reminded me of 1955 when I started work in Bham Centre.How I hated the Council for knocking down lovely old buildings and building Concrete Monstrositys like Rackhams

But awnings also made it more difficult, and costly to do a quick makeover of the shop with a new fancy fascia, as they often had a name on them and would be more expensive to replace. I think this might hav ehad some bearing on their disappearance
There was also the fact that prior to WW2 most people, particularly women, were not scantily dressed. Protection from weather, of whatever type, was welcome.

From the many photos like these on the Forum, awnings also gave, in some instances, the opportunity to advertise who and where they were. In a street like New Street, with many multi-storey buildings lining both sides, this must have been another consideration for shop owners. Their name was visible from above. Viv.

With time on my hands this afternoon, ie too hot to move, I decided to spend some time looking at New Street changes. What a delight to find the old Austen Reed building still standing - the building
behind the first tree. It seems to have lost it’s ‘modern’ (1930s/40s ?) street level exterior and returned to the original design. Nice to be able to say quite a few early buildings along this section of New Street seem to have survived. Viv.

51CB557F-B057-4338-845F-BDD8EBBE373C.jpeg

Attachments

• FC29ED80-DF84-45FB-B05A-61465144FFBC.jpeg
    FC29ED80-DF84-45FB-B05A-61465144FFBC.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 54
  • D55D5362-AB49-4493-BEE0-1113A2AE6DE1.jpeg
    D55D5362-AB49-4493-BEE0-1113A2AE6DE1.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 49
I get the feeling that the photo with most traffic (DF8) is post WW2 ad late 50's, early 60's. Many cars familiar, I believe the large car on the left might be an Armstrong-Siddeley. Also the balconied building is new, was it a bomb damage site, rebuilt? The hotel has been modified and seems to have lost is lovely ornate awning. Maybe the clientele has changed and the richer former patrons go elsewhere?
The second photo (AB4) I suggest is pre WW2, late 1930's or maybe early 40's. The buses suggest it to me. The Austin Reed cladding would be in line with the art deco trend, which did look nice. But it is pleasing to see it revert to something like its original appearance and is quite harmonious with its neighbour. I wonder if the neighbour had had a face lift, since removed?

I get the feeling that the photo with most traffic (DF8) is post WW2 ad late 50's, early 60's. Many cars familiar, I believe the large car on the left might be an Armstrong-Siddeley. Also the balconied building is new, was it a bomb damage site, rebuilt? The hotel has been modified and seems to have lost is lovely ornate awning. Maybe the clientele has changed and the richer former patrons go elsewhere?
The second photo (AB4) I suggest is pre WW2, late 1930's or maybe early 40's. The buses suggest it to me. The Austin Reed cladding would be in line with the art deco trend, which did look nice. But it is pleasing to see it revert to something like its original appearance and is quite harmonious with its neighbour. I wonder if the neighbour had had a face lift, since removed?
Agree with you on the car regist LOX puts it early fifties think the rest of the vehicles place the date early to mid fifties, the Ford Consul was built 1951 to 1962 in this shape, the only way to date it properly might be from the white building.
Bob

Does anyone know / can find out when Dale Forty moved into 80-84 New Street (corner with Pinfold Street) and also when they vacated the property? Many thanks.

Why was the American flag flying on the left-hand side ? The image looks to date at about 1910/20. Viv.

936373D6-1C50-492A-91D4-CC58ACB76734.jpeg

And close up ....
41496D08-5BA3-4EC7-AFEA-7F8B72E1EAD1.jpeg

I don't think it's the American flag Viv but not sure, shame about the fold in the upper corner.
It has the right number of stripes and tonally they are in the right order.
Birmingham used to have a consular office for the USA but I don't know where it was situated. If the photo was taken on a 4th July then any company with US connections might fly the flag.

The clothing doesn't look like summer wear to me, so I don’t think it is 4 July. Think the Consulate is more likely. Thanks. Viv.

It is reputed to be the largest German Christmas market outside Germany and Austria. Personally I think the goods are overpriced having seen Christmas markets in Germany.

Overpriced and a lot of tat, though probably less tat than some of the small English Christmas Markets. at least they haven't (I hope) filled in the tram lines with asphalt this year

It's like this, this year. Paved and with tracks. In Victoria Square leaving Pinfold Street.

Overpriced beer and bratwurst, and stupid trinkets, load of rubbish, watched them putting it up, all Germans with different coloured hard hats, ie. small chocolate lollipop £7.

Overpriced beer and bratwurst, and stupid trinkets, load of rubbish, watched them putting it up, all Germans with different coloured hard hats, ie. small chocolate lollipop £7.
There was a programme on last year that said alot of the stalls buy there German named products from aldi and sell them on their STALLS!!! No doubt at triple the cost they have bought them for.

Last edited:
My sister is usually in Germany at this time of year and buys Stollen for me at a fraction of the price that it is sold in the German Market in Birmingham. Unfortunately she has not been this year. Will have to look out in Aldi.

My sister is usually in Germany at this time of year and buys Stollen for me at a fraction of the price that it is sold in the German Market in Birmingham. Unfortunately she has not been this year. Will have to look out in Aldi.

I went once in the early days , never again umpteen stalls selling the same stuff at over the top prices

during the past few years ive been once in the day and once at night...nice atmosphere but i would not put myself out to visit again

Last edited:
Think Independents are complaining on Twitter about the BFCM. I only get the photos. Wouldn't buy anything there. Also it's quite early this year.

hi ell at least parts of the city centre that looks like a ghost town will have a tad more life to it for a few weeks...back to normal though after christmas...shame...oh thats what i meant to ask you...do you know if they are using st philips churchyard to erect some of the market stalls as they did last year ? thanks ell

lyn

I think it was the craft fair that was in St Philip's Church yard last year. I walked through the church yard this evening and there were no sign of any stalls being built. However remember that the German market has started 2 weeks early this year so there would still be time for the craft market.

Back