• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells Park Road

james the third. have a look at nechells park road shops there are some pics.
my mom worked at the white hart pub as a cleaner. do you remember hansons junk yard,and shop op cattells grove?

james. hansons were friends,we kept in touch for years after they closed. ex wd stuff i had loads.
great times

Hi All,If you want to see photos of Nechells and Nechells Park Rd go along to the Heartlands Historical Society,Melvina Rd Nechells every Monday from 10-a,m till 1-oo.p.m.

No Yardley,James but I was actually born in Rocky Lane and worked for a time at Hughes Paper shop right on the number eight bus stop.Educated at Cromwell St.and then went to Charles Arthur Street Secondary Modern till I was 15,many thanks for your interest,

No,James,I left charles Arthur Street in 1949,I lived four doors up from the outdoor moved to Rupert Street 1950,then left there for Abbey Rd,Erdington,I did go back and helped to build the block of flats where the Royal Exchange pub was and I believe that they are still standing

Centurion
You mentioned Hughes, what a great shop that was I think I bought just about everything from there from 2/6 sheath knives, bow and arrows, gnat air pistol 19/6 , packets of stamps. I could go on and on, but the best story was I was sent out to buy the News of the World for my Dad. I was reading it on way home and walked into a lamp. When I got home with paper I had great big bruise on my forehead.

Centurion.
We moved from St Clements Rd to Rupert Street, that how I ended up at Cromwell Street school. We moved into the new flats
James

Was Mr.Colley at Gharles Arthur Street when you were there,other teavhers Miss Smallman .Miss Beavers and Mrs Hinchcliffe

Hello again Centurion.
Yes Mr Collie was still there and still there when I left. Thinking back he was a nice old boy. The kids today would have ate him alive. In the time I was there he set up a library, it was his pride and joy. I had him for technical drawing. He used to go to night school then teach us what he had been doing the following week.
James.
Please keep in touch you have bought back lots of happy memories.

James

If you take a look at this thread which is being renovated at the moment you will find many references to, and photos of Nechells Park Rd.

Phil

Hi James it also brought back happy memories for me,I joined Lozells Harriers in the early fifties and stayed with them for ten years i won Warwickshire and Midland Championship medals
also represented Warickshire at running and race walking \nd also walked for the Midlands with Ken Mathews who won the 1964 Olympic Gold Medal,went to Australia where I won State Championships and at the age of 67 i became the oldest man on debut in the World to walk 100 miles in less than a day,Carried the Queens Baton at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games in 2008,27 years staff coach for the Australian Soccer Federation,stayed in Oz for 50 years and now i am back in Brum

Mr Colley was at Charles Arthur Street School regarding Hughes Paper shop at that time 52-53 there was two Hughes paper shops one by the number 8 bus stop and one very close to the Beehive pub,all the best John

Centurion.
I took early retirement at 61 and started running. I thought I was doing well at the age of 65 till I read your blog. I run most days doing around 7.5 miles in 1 hour, and I cycle most places.
I forgot about that shop Hughes opened near Beehive.
James

centurion, just go's to show,I had an old photo of the football team with a teacher marked as Mr Colley,since found out it was Mr Donkersley.
I was at the Hughes by the bus stop in Rocky Lane,the Beehive was my dads local.

Hi John and James how about pushing our memories a little bit harder and let others know how really Nechells was in the past,i for one would say it had hard working people and mostmof them respected each other virtually every street or road was a little community especially when sickness laid them low they helped out.One case and this is true my father won about £500
on the Football Pools in about 1936,the first thing he done there where four houses in the yard and it had one tap out in the yard so he paid to have a tap brought into every house,then he
took the neighbours on a Charabanc trip to Blackpool,i ask you would you see that today ,in that two up and two down house they had eleven children and irrespective the front room of the house was only for visitors and the point is we managed.Think about it and let us know your story,Fred

hi fred i do hope you dont mind me butting in on the NPR thread as i was born in aston and grew up in villa st hockley from the age of 5. but topics like this always get me going....what a lovely story about your dads generosity and no i just cant see that happening today..how well i remember the sense of community spirit and kindness when i was growing up...things like our mom sending me up the road with unwanted baby clothes for mrs jones who was having her 7th and then getting them back the next year for our moms 5th lol..and all the kids in the street collecting wood for bonfire night and dumping it in our back garden as it was one of the largest..mom would do baked spuds.chestnuts and oranges for everyone who came and the neighbours would chip in with pop and sweets...and although some folk didnt have much they would willingly give half of that to help a neighbour out..back doors being left open for folk to pop in and out for a cuppa..i know the world is much different now but how sad that we have lost such a lot of the old ways...

lyn

Last edited:
Fred
How right you are. I could safely walk from my aunts in St Clements Road to my flat in Rupert Street any time day or night. The people around in those days were hard working good and honest and always ready to help each other. I remember the snug in the Prince of Wales and the older ladies (our age) everyone bought them half a pint. On more than one occasion I had the job of giving them a lift home.
James

Your story James reminded me of Xmas 2010 i had just left my brothers about 11=45 p.m.Xmas Eve when I spotted a figure in the distance lurching from side to side on reaching the fi she never shouted or made a fussgure it was a woman who was not only drunk but a little the worst for wear,on reaching her I asked if she was alright but I could see she had breathing problems,she replied that she wanted to get to the local church for Xmas Mass so i took her by the arm and walked to the church with her and on the way there she was saying to me that she had been going to this church for the last Twenty odd years,when we arrived at the church she asked me if i would take her inside which I did and a few of the people there acknowledged her.Now while she was with me she never shouted or made a fuss i accompanied to the Altar for the blessing and on the way back one of the ushers came up and told us both to leave the church in no uncertain terms.Being a special time of the year I did not create a fuss but the woman had to get home as it was a freezing night so I walked about the half mile to her home and made sure she was safely locked inside.On returning home I e-mailed this story to the Birmingham Mail and it
gained me letter of the week and this was printed possibly around January 2011 ,unfortunatley the lady died in August of 2011,but i was glad that i helped her,I am no christian in the sense of the world but as a
youngster we learned the christian principles

Fred
Like you Fred I don't think of myself as a Christian. But I could never walk past anyone in trouble. I could no more throw litter in the road. My father once saw me throw a piece of bread on our open fire, you would have thought I had done a murder. Now I hate to see food wasted. Do you ever stop to think that maybe some of those morning assemblies rubbed off on us.
James

my apologies to everybody at this present time I am having trouble with my computer but hope to have it remedied by later today,thank you for your indulgence,Fred

Back