• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells Park Road

Fred
Hope you are back on line soon. It's great to hear your stories. You are a true gent, not many about these days I am afraid.
James

also i looked after my wife who had Parkinsons and Dementia for about three years before she had to go in a home and she died there
three years later 1n 2009 and that is why I am back in Brum to bring her ashes home so she could be united with her parents in Witton
Cemetary.I do not mind telling people this story because you count your blessings in life and we where very fortunate to have 54 years together in my next reply i will quote you about changes in your life that happen for a reason till then many thanks and just call me fred

A top Australian Rules Football Coach recited this to his players 10 words,20 letters think about it and it possibly be a message to some of our footballers here in the U.K.=I quote.:If it is to be it is up to me.

throwing bread or any food on the fire was frowned on by my gran, "she said it was feeding the devil"

Pete & Mort,

I think most people of our age or older will confirm that throwing any sort of food on the fire, especially bread, was deemed to be wicked. I can remember very little about Nechells as I was an Aston / Sparkhill / Kings Heath kid, but I had an aunt who lived in Cattells Grove for a few years before moving to Stirchley and we used to visit them occasionally.

Maurice

hello. 1949 i was born in cattells grove and movd in 1960 when our roof fell in .nechells park rd was a great shopping place.
me phil and ernie had a laugh about what we got up tp back then. bless him.i looked last year when i went to a funeral,in yardley.wow i got lost.

“Seated at a table between girders reinforcing the roof of an air-raid shelter in Nechells, some 80 children, unmindful of air raids or the shrieking of sirens, donned their paper hats yesterday and accepted the invitation of Rev N C.
Parsons to tuck in. People who have made use of the shelter-which is under
Nechells Methodist Hall, in Nechells Park Road contributed towards the cost of the treat, a didn’t the youngsters enjoy it!”
(Birmingham Gazette December 1940)

IMG_7418.jpeg

Back