• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Naval casualties in WW1 ??

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Hi,
I have just discovered a relative who died in WW1 on HMS "Ardent" when the ship was attacked in 1916, so I know a small amount about him (he was 26) & his name is on the Navy memorial in Chatham, Kent. Does anyone know of a site that might give me details of his signing up papers etc ? I really would like to learn more about him if at all possible.

Many thanks, Margaret.

Hi Margaret: Can you supply his name and naval rank, if you happen to know it, please. That would help find more info.

His name was JOHN GODDARD Stoker 1st class. No SS/107369. I have the info from the 1911 census/plus the Naval memorial in Chatham, but I would like to know where & when he signed up if this info is available online somewhere.
Thanks Margaret.

Hello Jennyann & Dave...many thanks for the info ..I think I will certainly be buying the info from the National Archives. Thank you again for your help.
Margaret.

Hello Jennyann, it was so easy to access the NA site & pay for & receive the download for John Goddard, so now I know all the ships he was on.... plus his height/weight etc & even a description of his tattoo !! Many, many thanks for your help which I have appreciated greatly.
Margaret.

You are so very welcome, Margaret. I know what it is like to find such information. I had very little info on my Uncle William who died in WW1 Years ago, via the Internet, there wasn't much information available regarding military records but the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site was way ahead with their information which is amazing as it covers more than one war. When the printed certificate for my Uncle came through my printer I couldn't believe it and later on finding all his service records was amazing also. To know that these men who gave their lives were remembered in this way was more than overwhelming. I hope you have seen John's certificate.

Hello again Jennyann,
sadly I cannot open the pdf file to see John's certificate on the CWG site.....any ideas for me on how to open it please ????
Margaret.

Hello again Jennyann,
sadly I cannot open the pdf file to see John's certificate on the CWG site.....any ideas for me on how to open it please ????
Margaret.
HI skylark I had the same problem using IE however when I used google chrome it worked I,ve no idea why though Michael

Back