• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Police Force

chocks2

master brummie
The other day I witnessed a minor incedent on the Warwickshire/West Mid's border. The police arrived in less than 2 minutes which was excellent but after getting the traffic moving they told me that they couldn't take my witness statement because they were from the West Midlands force and the incedent had taken place just over the border in Warwickshire. I was told to sit in my cab and wait for the Warwickshire force who were on their way. 40 min's later they arrived and by the time they had taken my statement my delay time had amounted to 1hr 15min's. On the same evening I watched a programme on TV about anti-social behavior and the Home Secretary claimed that he was concerned about the different ways each force is dealing with the problem. Now all in all I would say that the police do an excellent job but after these incidents I wonder if it would be a better option in a country as geographicaly small as England for us to have a National Police Force rather than regional forces. What do you think?

I used to regularly take witness statements in accidents for a neighboring force. It is not for the first time I ask what exactly are the duties of our Police officers.There does seem to be a lot of buck passing.Perhaps Jack Straw has a point in some cases.

It seems to me the changes required would be,a change at the top.
I have every respect for those at the sharp end,however,the bosses are so often,a waste of space.
Lions lead by donkeys,springs to mind.

The police forces are supposed to work together and there are no jurisdiction boundaries as there are in say America. November 2008 I was in London watching a fireworks display on the Thames and the crowds were being policed by City of London Police officers although we were in the Metropolitan Police area.

A few years ago when we had the serial killer in Ipswich who killed five women (I forget his name) the Suffolk force called on the other police forces for help and I remember one news report when they said thet the suspect's home was being guarded by the Ministry of Defence Police.

The motorways round our area are policed by a joint operation. The Serious and Organised Crime Agency is a joint operation.

So there was no excuse for the actions of the police officers mentioned in the first post

Hello, I have never able to understand why we have 43 different police areas in this country each with
a Chief Constable and three or four assistants, some of them rate a salery of around £100,000 a year!
Two compare like with like you can not quote America where a lot of police officers are elected.Every
time there is talk of change they all close ranks and nothing ever happens.When I started on the Post Office
in 1953 every town had a Head Postmaster and at least three Asst;s, Birmingham had four at one time, the
smaller towns had Postmasters,In 1992, we were told, it is no longer a Postal Service, we are now known
as The Postal Business, and completely did away with layers and layers of Managers, Starting at the top
which is unusual. I would be interested to know how other people feel about this, Bernard

The other day I witnessed a minor incedent on the Warwickshire/West Mid's border. The police arrived in less than 2 minutes which was excellent but after getting the traffic moving they told me that they couldn't take my witness statement because they were from the West Midlands force and the incedent had taken place just over the border in Warwickshire. I was told to sit in my cab and wait for the Warwickshire force who were on their way. 40 min's later they arrived and by the time they had taken my statement my delay time had amounted to 1hr 15min's. On the same evening I watched a programme on TV about anti-social behavior and the Home Secretary claimed that he was concerned about the different ways each force is dealing with the problem. Now all in all I would say that the police do an excellent job but after these incidents I wonder if it would be a better option in a country as geographicaly small as England for us to have a National Police Force rather than regional forces. What do you think?

You should have told them that they could contact you at home as you were not waiting. It's not the bobbies fault, they are being led by Senior Officers who are too Political and are more interested in Knighthoods and other awards. The sooner they get away from Politics the better.

Thanks for all the comments. I get the idea that some of you think I'm having a pop at the police. I'm not, I honestly think they do a grand job but based on examples given I think that if we had a national force things may work a little quicker and a lot better. I think Bernards analogy of the post office says it all. Now I don't know if the post office is more efficient now than it was in the 1950's, only Bernard can answer that but I suspect it is so maybe the same would apply to the police.

There was a report a few years ago that recomended the abolition of the ranks of Chief Inspector, Chief Superintendant and (I think) Deputy Chief Constable. But as Bernard said the police just closed ranks and the proposal failed. With Deputies and Assistant Chief Constables, I count 9 ranks in the police and there are even more in the Metropolitan Police with Commanders and Deputy Commanders above the Chief Superintendants. However the new Chief Constable of the West Midlands has reduced the number of Operational Command Units so that is going some way to streamlining our local force. It is not all that many years ago that there were separate forces for Birmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Dudley and Coventry here in the West Midlands. If you had an accident at the junction of Hagley Road West and Harborne Road in Warley three separate policemen would have to turn up to see who had to take charge as this was where three police forces met.

Hello again, its difficult to say if culling of management has made it better, the Post Office has been thru many
changes over the years, it has been used as a political football,it was still part of the Civil Service when I started, my first weeks pay was£5.19d for a 48 week, I had been getting £6.10d in the army, so it was drop
in pay. In 1995 when I retired I was on £149,50. per week, basic pay now for a Postman £300 per week
During the whole of the 1990s both BT and Royal Mail had a contribution holiday from the pension funds, because the funds were awash with cash owing the high stock market, now both have big "Black Hole" in
both funds.My own opinion is that Chief Constables build a little Empire of their own which is why they dont
want a National Force, ie; less power. take care now + keep warm Bernard

Problem with a National Police Force is that we mighty get someone like Sir Ian Blair, former Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police in charge, who critizised the West Midlands Police for not shooting the suspect in the failed bombing of the London Underground and we know what happened at Stockwell.

As long as the Masonic Lodges do not lose their control of the policing and judicial system. That would be the end of the world as we know it!

My son's just passed his assement and will be at Bournville Police Station as CHIEF Inspector from March.
I think our police are wonderful, but then - I would wouldn't I?

Congratulations to your son, Charlie,he must have worked very hard for that,and got there on merit.

Charlie he obviously has his mothers brain to have got to this position :rolleyes: Seriously though I am thrilled for you and the family.:)

Thanks Ray and Wendy. He HAS worked very hard to get where he is now, and is looking forward to the new challenge.
If he had his mother's brain Wend., he'd still be doing his training!!!

Back