• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

National Defence Medal.

barrie

master brummie
The idea of a National Defence Medal, for all those who have served in the armed forces from 1945 onwards, has been knocking about for a long time now, I believe there was even a petition about it to No 10. I am in two minds over whether it is a good idea or not.

What do others think?

The national service medal is not official, if you want one you have to pay for it.
Myself I object to this, I feel that all N/S men should be presented with one.

No doubt some will disagree with me but I think we are going over the top now with medals like the Americans to the extent they become valueless. Campange medals for those serving in the war by all means but not peace time, I was in the RAF for 8 years, most of it served abroad, I was presented with the Singapore medal with clasp 'Malaya', why ? I never went to Malaya, was at RAF Seletar in Singapore for 15 months in married quarters with my Wife, just shows how safe it was. I thought this an insult to the troops actually fighting terrorists in Malaya. Just my opinion. Eric

National SERVICE MEDAL is issued

Have to disagree with that statement Serviceman. The National Service Medal has to be bought from a private supplier, the Veterans Badge is issued by The Veterans Agency, there is no official medal for National Service.

Will have concede you may be correct on this, but did you ever apply for same. Some of our comrades did not receive medals for 50 years after their time. One gentleman who lived in my town had served in a conflict in 1940's and never knew about a medal for it until I showed him mine, he applied and was over the moon when he received his. This was only two years,60 years later

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to disagree with that statement Serviceman. The National Service Medal has to be bought from a private supplier, the Veterans Badge is issued by The Veterans Agency, there is no official medal for National Service.

Thank you for that Barrie, that is a very clear explanation.

From the Gov't website:

Types of medals

The term ‘official’ describes any medal authorised by the Queen, or her predecessors. Only these medals are allowed to be worn on a service uniform.
Commemorative medals are those which have been produced by organisations or private medal companies to commemorate particular branches of service or areas of operations.
These are not issued by the MOD Medal Office and may be purchased from the private medal company that produces them or from a reputable medal dealer.
The Royal British Legion or other veterans associations may also be able to offer you further advice should you wish to purchase commemorative medals which cover your time or areas of service.
Examples of popular commemorative medals are:

• National Service Medal
  • Allied Ex-Prisoners of War Medal
  • Dunkirk Medal
  • British Forces Germany Medal

https://www.gov.uk/the-ministry-of-defence-medal-office

My uncle who went through the second world war in the RAF, he told me he couldn't be bothered to stand and queue for his medals. He just wanted to get home, so never had them. I helped him to get them later on in his 80's. After his death, I gave them to my cousin who has the family name..good move they are now displayed in a cabinet in his dinning room!

I can't help but wonder if Serviceman is thinking of the GSM, (General Service Medal) which at one time could have bars for Malaya, Aden, N Ireland etc. mounted on its ribbon.
Saved the government a few bob, that one !

Back