• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nansen Road School

wendyP

master brummie
Just found this site. Has anyone got any photos or memories of Nansen Road girls School from the 50's. Would love to see/hear them.

I know I have asked before, but no one answered. Did anyone go to Nansen Road Girls School, Alum Rock in late 50's. Would love to hear from you.

This is the British History online entry for Nansen Road Schools. Viv.

image.jpeg

Source: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7/pp501-548#p440

And this is from the National Archives:

"Nansen Road Girls County Secondary School originated as the Senior Girls Department of Nansen Road Council School. It became a separate school in 1945. The school closed in 1967 when most of the pupils were transferred to Naseby School."

Thank you Vivienne 14. Why it wasn't in the list of schools . I don't know ! Had a very happy time there. The Head mistress was Miss Evans Rose a bit like the queen mother in appearance and Miss Linforth was a great teacher.

I went to Nansen school in the 70s when it was a mixed junior and infant school. There don't seem to be any old photos of the school. I too these a few years ago...

P1060129a.jpg P1060130a.jpg P1060131a.jpg P1060132a.jpg

Thank you MWS for posting those photos. As I was there in the 50s it was well before your time. We occupied the top floor of the main building. I think it was younger children on the ground floor. It was senior girls only and our play ground was to the back of the building. The only single story building I remember was the art room where we used powder paints. Also I think the science room was at the back. Never very good at those two subjects. I just know I loved my time there such good and interesting teachers who looked like teachers and stood no nonsense in those days. Discipline at a lot of schools these days seems to be non existent.

Former pupils may know this, but the school was named after Fridjof Nansen, the Norwegian explorer, scientist and Nobel Prize winner. Viv.

Thank you Vivienne 14. Why it wasn't in the list of schools . I don't know ! Had a very happy time there. The Head mistress was Miss Evans Rose a bit like the queen mother in appearance and Miss Linforth was a great teacher.
I found an old school report of my mum's recently and that was the head that was named on her report too.

My mum went to Nansen road school in the early 50's and I was wondering if anyone knew her or had any photos from that era.She was in form 2.1.a in July 1952

Thanks for happy memories. I left Nansen Road school in 1952 at age 15. Miss Linforth was my mentor. Took me under her wing when my mom died in 1949. Wonderful school then

My mum went to Nansen road school in the early 50's and I was wondering if anyone knew her or had any photos from that era.She was in form 2.1.a in July 1952
l went to Nansen Rd, 1954-1959 in top forms, 1.1,2.1 etc. I remember the teachers, Miss Linforth, Mrs Bollen, Miss Price, Miss Watson and so on. My name is Janet Chittleborough.Love to hear from anyone.

if anyone has any class photos of this school we would love to see them

thanks

lyn

Hi wendyp just found this site. Maybe your still on it. I went to Nansen Road girls school when Miss Evans Rose was the headmistress. I still can remember her telling us to use our vote.

Just found this site. Has anyone got any photos or memories of Nansen Road girls School from the 50's. Would love to see/hear them.
Just found this site myself. I went to the junior school. I was in a class run by a Miss Bunker. Then I think it was Miss Hammond, she really helped me along with my reading, which I have loved ever since. Then came Mr. Moor, I wasn't in his class long as 4 other girls and myself were put up into Mr Sheen's class. I didn't like him at all. He frightened me. If you got answers wrong for a second day you had a ruler over your Nuckles, not like today at all.
Trying to remember head teachers name, but it will probably pop up in a couple of hours.

Just found this site myself. I went to the junior school. I was in a class run by a Miss Bunker. Then I think it was Miss Hammond, she really helped me along with my reading, which I have loved ever since. Then came Mr. Moor, I wasn't in his class long as 4 other girls and myself were put up into Mr Sheen's class. I didn't like him at all. He frightened me. If you got answers wrong for a second day you had a ruler over your Nuckles, not like today at all.
Trying to remember head teachers name, but it will probably pop up in a couple of hours.
Went up the stairs to the senior school when I was 11. First class Miss Mason who was lovely. Then came Mr Anderson I think it was.we had Miss Booth who we all also loved. Then Miss Piggot who was our pre fifth teacher .. we had Miss Preston who was firm but good. We could have left by now but wanted to stay for 5th form. We also had Miss Thomas who taught us typing and shorthand . Miss Linforth was Head Mistress.

Hi. I was in the junior school until '63. Miss Bunker took us for country dancing and 'encouraged' us, with the odd thump in the back, to keep in step as we went past her. Mr Sheen was a bit scary too, but my favourite teacher was Miss Wilde. I was in her class for the two years before I left to go to secondary school. I seem to remember that some of the teachers were Welsh and taught us how to pronounce a few place names from there properly.

Hi. I was in the junior school until '63. Miss Bunker took us for country dancing and 'encouraged' us, with the odd thump in the back, to keep in step as we went past her. Mr Sheen was a bit scary too, but my favourite teacher was Miss Wilde. I was in her class for the two years before I left to go to secondary school. I seem to remember that some of the teachers were Welsh and taught us how to pronounce a few place names from there properly.
I do seem to remember the name Miss Wilde but I can't put any facts to the name.
Mr Sheen was definitely Welsh. We went into his class in about the January. He had had the rest of the class for nearly 2 years. I found that difficult.
Which secondry school did you go on to?

I do seem to remember the name Miss Wilde but I can't put any facts to the name.
Mr Sheen was definitely Welsh. We went into his class in about the January. He had had the rest of the class for nearly 2 years. I found that difficult.
Which secondry school did you go on to?
I went to Marsh Hill Boy's together with one other boy from my class. Others I knew went to Saltley Grammar and Mosely Art School. Some of my closest friends went to Washwood Heath Secondary, and I managed to keep in touch with them through our secondary school years.

I went to Marsh Hill Boy's together with one other boy from my class. Others I knew went to Saltley Grammar and Mosely Art School. Some of my closest friends went to Washwood Heath Secondary, and I managed to keep in touch with them through our secondary school years.
My friends to split up and went to various schools. Unfortunately we didn't keep in touch, but I did have one friend who also went to Washwood Heath Secondry School.
She seemed to like it well enough.
Of course we used to walk to school then, not many cars about to do things like the school run..Wherever you went it was Shankses pony.
I do remember the school trip that was a special one, where we could pay weekly. We had a brilliant time.

My friends to split up and went to various schools. Unfortunately we didn't keep in touch, but I did have one friend who also went to Washwood Heath Secondry School.
She seemed to like it well enough.
Of course we used to walk to school then, not many cars about to do things like the school run..Wherever you went it was Shankses pony.
I do remember the school trip that was a special one, where we could pay weekly. We had a brilliant time.
I remember a trip to the zoo, and that I was almost sick with excitement as I walked to school. We had a long walk to and from school as we were then living by the Gate Saltley, having moved there from near the school. I used to go home for lunch so the walks kept us fit. Mind you, I often used to walk home to the Gate from Marsh Hill which was a good few miles away. When the smogs came down I used to walk faster than the few buses that were still running.

Went to nansen in the 90s/early 00s..remember the headteacher, Mr Hughes and reception teacher, Mrs Stallard. Good memories. It's completely changed now.

Back