• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

my printer wont work with new laptop

Patty

master brummie
I bought a new laptop Toshiba C650D and have a Lexmark 5200 series all in one printer, the printer is 5yrs old.
When the man that does my laptop for me went to connect the printer he tried and couldn't get it to work, he said it was not compatable with the laptop,. Before I go out to buy a new one I wonder if anyone has any views on this as a lot of my friend have said all there printers went on their computers ok and theirs were older than mine.

Your C650D has windows 7 operating system - what did your previous one have? According to the Lexmark website, it should work with the windows Vista drivers.
Have you got the CD that came with the printer?
See this installation guide. According to them, it will work - so keep trying!

Lloyd I used to have XP which I was used to, now it has windows 7 which I cant get my hat round everything. I have just found the disc what i cant understand is the guy I always use to look after me and got me this new one has tried and he said it was not compatable, he didn't try to sell me a new printer so I cant understand why he cant do it. I have just got Lexmark phone number might give them a ring too

Hi Patti,

what is the model number for your printer? I will find a new driver for you which you will need to intall before your printer will work with Windows 7.
Humph

You can also run Windows 7 in compatibilty mode to run old programs - something I only discovered after buying a new updated photo program:( Also take a look at this here. Or might be better for you - Lexmark Driver updates Here

Humph it says Lexmark 5200X All in one series I have just been and had a look underneath and there are no more numbers there, and Bernie it is uploading the photo's and how they are displayed ect that I cant get to grips with it is all so different I suppose it will sink in in time I am just sending for a book from amazon that a member recommend so it might make it easier

Patti,

The Vista drivers should work with Windows 7 so it seems. Follow the procedure:-

Disconnect your printer USB.
Uninstall the driver you already have on your laptop.
Restart your laptop.
Once the laptop is on again connect your printer USB. It will want to know where your driver is located so put in the Vista Driver disc and allow the wizard to find it. It should then work???
This is information, I got from a Lexmark site.

Humph

I forgot to say, Switch on the printer after you have reconnected the printer USB.

Thanks it all seems too complecated for me so I will wait till my friend comes and show her this post and let her do it. I am a bit nervous to mess it up so thanks I am sure it will work. I know this sounds thick but I dont know what you mean about uninstall the driver?????? dont even know what that is si it's shows you how thick I am

Patty,
I hope you get it sorted out soon - aren't the members on here lovely that they help with computer problems :)

Don't worry about Windows 7 - I changed to it a while ago and it does take some getting used to, but once you find your way round it is very good.

Polly :)

Hi Patti,
Sorry if I have confused you. If you can't figure it out when your friend arrives, let me know and I can telephone you and talk you through it,as long as you have the software disc that came with your printer still.

Otherwise, good luck.
Humph

Thank a million I do have the disc so if you want to IM me your number save you paying I will call you, you do realise what a novice I am so you could end up with a headache lol

I have just remembered that when I had my laptop and tried to connect my printer (which was about 2 years old) to it, the disc the printer came with was not up to date enough for Windows 7 so my daughter found and downloaded a 'patch' for it.

Hello Patty, I posted about a similar thing when I had my new windows 7 for christmas. A friend who does mine for me said he had to sort of tell the computer a few lies because my printer just would not work. When I want to carry out any sort of printer task now, I get a message telling me the computer does not recognise the printer but it all works o/k.

Humph it says Lexmark 5200X All in one series I have just been and had a look underneath and there are no more numbers there, and Bernie it is uploading the photo's and how they are displayed ect that I cant get to grips with it is all so different I suppose it will sink in in time I am just sending for a book from amazon that a member recommend so it might make it easier
Hi i had awlful problems at first, when Virgin updated their systems, now I find it much better than the
old way, Namoi was here last week before going to Oxford, she is mustard on the photos, ever so quick!
Ever had the feeling that were born too soon? I always think what Micheal Mates said about a certain
watch"Dont let the "B--------ger get you down, just keep taking the tablets, Have a nice day now Bernie

I have just remembered that when I had my laptop and tried to connect my printer (which was about 2 years old) to it, the disc the printer came with was not up to date enough for Windows 7 so my daughter found and downloaded a 'patch' for it.

hey Polly, used up all those Kleenx yet??? Bernie (little bit off thread sorry)

Last edited:
Patty, how nice to see you posting here again. Just like the old days, eh?
Are you sure your printer is a 2500X and not an X2500 as I can find a Win7 driver for the latter HERE. View attachment 56790

Following Humph's comprehensive instructions I'm certain you're up to doing it yourself. You've done far more complicated things in the past.
Gee-it-a-goo, ower Wench.
Ordinateur07.gif

I wish I could print those instuctions out. I will give it a go to get the printer going. I have been over to Istanbul the last few weeks so didn't get time on the new laptop till now so you will be getting lods of questions I am sure, got to keep you all on your toes

Hi Patty, I have windows vista & when I first pluged my Lexmark P707 in my laptop which is a sony vaio it looked for drivers on its own had no problems.
HOPE YOU GET UP AND RUNNING SOON.
Keith

Patty, I think you will see I've edited my post so you might like to take another look.

I'm not familiar with windows 7 but I believe on recent laptops there's a sticker that gives you the information. If not you could try right clicking My Computer, selecting Properties and see if it tell you there. Another way is to download and run this little program that should tell you: https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download Anyway, from what I understand, most 32 bit programs will run on a 64 bit system but not the other way round.

Humph 3 has done a brilliant job talking me through sorting the printer out and I am pleased to say it is all sorted and up and running, so a big big thank you. I still have a few teething issues with this 7 and might get my old version put back on, I will give it a week or two to see if I can master it though, thanks for all your help Patty

There, I knew you could do it. Well done both of you.
clap.gif

I do feel, unless you find Win 7 impossible to work with, it'll be better to stay with it. That way you'll be way ahead of those of us who will have to upgrade in the future.

I am just going to have another look around it, I have gone away fron it for a couple of hours so lets see lol

Well done Hump3 :thumbsup:
I am glad you have got your printer sorted out Patty :) I think you will get used to windows 7 :)

There, I knew you could do it. Well done both of you.
clap.gif

I do feel, unless you find Win 7 impossible to work with, it'll be better to stay with it. That way you'll be way ahead of those of us who will have to upgrade in the future.
Yes Oisin I've had no trouble yet:)

Iv'e got a couple more things sorted it's just getting a hang of the folders and photo's now

Patty Now that we have got you sorted are you going to vanish again that friend of yours Jean keeps vanishing:redface:

You even got Oisin out of semi-retirement:D

Last edited:
Back