• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Munition Factories during the Great War

Re: Muntion Factories during the Great War

Does anyone have a good quality copy of the photos of the Kings visit to Lion Works july 23rd 1915? i have one on the steps in front of the main entrance but there will be many more.
I would appreciate a scan or digital copy for my collection. Can anyone help?
many thanks
ac

Many of the pen manufacturers were involved in munitions manufacture in WW1, such as 5-round .303 charger clips for rifles and machine gun belt clips. Does anyone have any information about munitions work at Brandauer in New John Street West?

John

We should also remember those who lost their lives helping the war effort.

This is a transcription taken from the memorials of St Mary's Whittall St. The church was demolished in the 1920's. In 1927 the coffins were removed to Witton cemetery. The coffins from eastern section of the cemetery were removed in 1952 and reinterred at Warstone Lane cemetery.
In memory of persons killed by an explosion at the percussion cap manufacturers of messers Pursall, Phillips and Son Whittall street Birmingham on 27 September 1859.
Martha Grocock age 31 years
Maria Earp age 29 years
Fanny Dollman age 31 years
Eliza King age 25 years
Charlott Cotterill age 24 years
Rabecca Walton age 20 years
Harriet Robinson age 18 years
Harriet Bourne age 16 years
Dinah Pell age 15 years
Mary Reynolds age 14 years
Elizabeth Johnson age 12 years
Julia Grant age 11 years
Emily Munns aged 11 years
The above are interred in a vault beneath this monument. Also Mary Cantrill age 14 interred in St Paul church yard. Humphrey Wood age 28 interred St Bartholamew's church yard. Winifred Casey aged 19 and Catherine Clarke aged 24 interred in the Roman Catholic cemetery.​

Thanks for that reminder, Wendy.

Percussion cap manufacturing was undertaken by several companies in central Birmingham. There were I believe a number of accidents over the years but the one at Pursalls was the last straw and it was obvious that such dangerous operations in densely populated urban areas could not continue. This catastrophe led the proprietor to apply for permission to set up a factory in the hamlet of Witton and this business came into the ownership of George Kynoch, an employee since about 1856. The Kynoch works of course became a huge munitions manufacturer for the next century under the the Kynoch name and later ICI and eventually IMI.

A bit of its history here: https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/KOtherInformationKynochV2A.htm

Chris

Facinating piece on the history of Kynock's my aunt Gwen Marston worked there I would love to know excatly what she did. She was a tall powerful lady she must have been 6ft. My brother said in the 60's she was in charge of the power house. I know she worked there through the second world war.

img238.jpg
I have posted on this thread because the piece of paper was with a few BSA bits It was in two pieces but I have managed to get it back to a readable condition.

I believe Cromwell may have posted part of this booklet some years ago, but as the early images have been lost and Cromwell is no longer a member of the Forum, I thought I'd post it almost complete whilst I had it!

Maurice :friendly_wink:

k1.jpgk2.jpgk3.jpgk4.jpgk5.jpg

Thanks for the interesting Kynoch images. Maurice.

Does the publication give any indication of its date, as far as you can see? I wonder if there is any information anywhere as to whether that (rather nasty) product "caught on" and was sold in any numbers.

I also wonder whether O.C. (who started this thread and contributed some wonderful images) still visits the Forum and whether he/she could replace the latter which have been lost as a result of last year's hacking of the site.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The bottom of image number 2 states "September 1907", so well before the outbreak of WW1. Perhaps they knew something that the bulk of the population didn't! :upset:

I haven't done any research into the Company, but I'll see what I can dig up. Whilst it is not a particularly 'nice' product, it kept thousands of Brummies in work over quite a period of time.

I believe that O.C. left as the result of a bit of a disagreement, so he may not be well disposed towards that idea. He was still about on the Birmingham Suburbs site until that was taken over and, as you say, he contributed a lot of valuable information and images to this site. But I've no wish to be involved in Forum politics as I am not in full possession of the facts and have no wish to tread of anybody's toes! :rolleyes:

Hi again Chris,

I'm not going to paste much other than URLs in reply as there is so much information on the web. It seems that very few, if any, were sold to the British forces:-

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/kynoch-machine-gun

it being a copy of the original Schwarzlose Austro-Hungarian weapon of which there are more details here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzlose_MG_M.07/12

Incidentally, my images didn't come from that first site, but they seem to have spread like wildfire from my original source! :rolleyes:

There are two detailed histories of the Company, here:-

https:// www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/KOtherInformationKynochV2A.htmhttps://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/KOtherInformationKynochV2A.htm

and here:-

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/G._Kynoch_and_Co

Very interesting thread, the gun looks lighter and more maneuverable than the standard Vickers .303 heavy machine gun of the same period.
paul

Image365.jpg

POP.jpeg
September 1918 in Cannon Hill Park for the "Win The War" celebrations, these women all worked at the BSA.

These are the munitions workers at Drews Lane, Washwood Heath (now Wolseley I think). This picture would have been taken around 1917/18. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335192787.188140.jpg

This a card of the memorial at St Mary's Whittall St. It is so sad to read the youngest girl was aged 10. The church was demolished in the 1920's. In 1927 the coffins were removed to Witton cemetery. The coffins from eastern section of the cemetery were removed in 1952 and reinterred at Warstone Lane cemetery.

Pursall_and_Phillips_memorial_card.jpg

Thanks Viv, although been away for many years now, I feel really deeply when I read of changes to my old town, although I always thought "Washwood Heath" was a district of Birmingham not a factory.
paul

Paul I think you have miss-read Viv's post she is referring to the LDV site in Drews Lane which was originally the munition factory.

Washwood Heath is still there....lol

(These are the munitions workers at Drews Lane, Washwood Heath (now Wolseley I think). This picture would have been taken around 1917/18. Viv.)

The early part of this thread contained some wonderful images of Birmingham munitions manufacture during the Great War, mainly dealing with Kynoch and contributed by O.C. who is regrettably no longer a member of this Forum. The images were subsequently lost during the hacking incident a couple of years ago.

I don't suppose that by some miracle a member saved all or any of these? I know of people who would dearly like to see them and their loss to this Forum is a minor tragedy.

Chris

Hi. Do you have any stories about your aunt at Kynochs? We're trying to gather information on the women who worked at the factories during WWI for a heritage research project - it would be great to be able to talk to you about her. Would you be able to contact me either on 0121..... or through email on .... Thanks very much.

Mod comment: please contact this member via the Forum mail system

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel,

Posts in this Forum can be seen by the world at large and for a long time. Possibly safer therefore not to post personal phone numbers and email addresses in open forum. Better to invite comment by Private Mail. Have removed them but if you want them replaced, please let me know.

Could you reference the post no. to which you were responding, please? Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
Back