• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley Village

Lyn

It has changed in many subtle ways over the years especially if you go back to the 1870's in the first photo and the second one has to be earlier than that.

Moseley Moseley Village (7).JPGMoseley Moseley Village 1873.JPG

Lyn, please do. Come and have a coffee with me in one of the amazing coffee shops in Moseley. The big change is the mess Boots have made of their shop frontage, absolute disgrace for a corporate company.

thanks mike phil and mort...i really must have a good look around the village when time permits....:)

Lyn

You should try the last Saturday of the month when they have the farmers market, it can be pretty lively, though I think this month it is the Moseley Festival at the same time so it should be even livelier.

Last edited:
There was a programme on BBC1 this afternoon called "The Farmers Country Showdown". It started at 3-45 pm and featured the market at Moseley Village together with a small amount of filming at the swimming baths. It is currently on iPlayer and you need to look from about 25 minutes into the programme. Dave

There was a programme on BBC1 this afternoon called "The Farmers Country Showdown". It started at 3-45 pm and featured the market at Moseley Village together with a small amount of filming at the swimming baths. It is currently on iPlayer and you need to look from about 25 minutes into the programme. Dave
Thanks for the tipoff, it was well worth the watch.

AAF4993A-1F77-4F32-8E2D-AEAE20AB8272.jpeg

January 1977, Birmingham Post.

Stitcher, picture from 1875, Post in thread 'Pubs Of The Past'

Midpubs…Post in thread 'Pub Quiz League'

I've attached this village photograph for all sorts of reasons. I think it may be late 1950s. Perhaps someone could date it more accurately?

Subsequent changes etc include:
1. Original frontage on Boots the Chemist before they "vandalised" it with the present modern frontage. Boots now closed.
2. Slip road off main road to Wake Green Road still two way.
3. Classic BCC bus shelter with safety rail on road side and classic BCC cast iron bus stop. Granite sets in front of bus stop.
4. Underground toilets still in use. Lasted much longer than modern pay toilet which has now gone.
5. Building on extreme right was Barclays Bank - now Costa Coffee.
6. Building next to Barclays shows two ghost signs on end wall. The lower one advertises Mathias Watts, Picture Framers & Fine Art Dealers on the end of their shop. Of course it wasn't a ghost sign at the time - they were still there until at least the 1970s. Perhaps later? The other sign is for Avonvale Bread/Head Office/Orders...... Anyone have any information about them as I have never heard of them? [I do miss access to Birmingham directories on Ancestry!]
7. Compare the tall cast iron lamp standard with modern replacements!

Additional comments very welcome. After all there are folks on the forum who have lived here in Moseley all their lives. Mind you I have clocked up 53 years and still running.

Apols see next post for phot!

Last edited:
I have had a look for Avonvale in phone books in 1950s but no joy. I wonder if it was just advertising the product rather than being Birmingham based. Will see what I can find out.
There is a modern company called AvonVale Foods but I don't think there is a connection.

There was an Avonvale cycle maker. Could it be advertising bikes ? Although it looks like “Avonvale Bre......” to me. Viv.

Avonvale Bakeries are listed in the name section of Kellys for 1915 and 1921 at 14 Clevedon road. However in earlier editions, the street listing shows no 14 as Barclay & Price (Avondale Bakeries). Neither the firm or the shop are listed in the 1932 edition

Thank Mike - I hadn't got that far back. So it was a ghost sign in that photo then.

Last edited:
Avonvale Bakeries are listed in the name section of Kellys for 1915 and 1921 at 14 Clevedon road. However in earlier editions, the street listing shows no 14 as Barclay & Price (Avondale Bakeries). Neither the firm or the shop are listed in the 1932 edition
Many thanks for that. Clevedon Rd is not far away in Balsall Heath which would make sense. Looks like original buildings all demolished & area redeveloped.

Still sometimes referred to as the "Village", the second postcard image is labelled 'village' but looks far bigger than a village. Obviously it had become a busy bustling centre with all the necessary shops and services looking at the first 1913 image. Wonder what was originally the extent of the village ? Any images of the early village anywhere ? Viv.

View attachment 119331 View attachment 119332
Hi. Park Garage later became R.E. GREENS a Rootes dealership and Garners also opened later on the opposite side about 100 yds towards the city and became, I believe, part of the Lincoln Street group and a Datsun dealership.

A bit about ELMHURST in Moseley Village......a big posh house I believe.....but so far, no photograph has emerged....? anyone got one? Was where the old Meteor Garage was....now a Marks&Spencer outlet....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 13.17.00.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 13.17.00.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 10.33.23.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 10.33.23.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 10.33.56.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 10.33.56.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 10.34.48.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 10.34.48.jpg