• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley school of art

mike i have seen quite a few buildings where the down pipes are in that same green..got an idea it was the standard colour when the buildings were built...also seen buildings where the colour has been changed..usually to black

lyn

Last edited:
there is a ball on the pillar on the left ell...dont know how old phils pic is on post 21 but there is only one ball on that one..hopefully they will replace the restof them

Streetview shows that the school only had one ball (like Hitler) in june 2008

there is a ball on the pillar on the left ell...dont know how old phils pic is on post 21 but there is only one ball on that one..hopefully they will replace the restof them

I can see that! Didn't even know that it had missing stone balls.

And just to confirm. A very grainy photo of 1904, but it does show all the balls
moseley school of art 1904.jpg

Does anyone have a photo of the church next door, that was bombed out in 1945? WW2 Not the one that is there now?

Viv
Could the vile green be undercoat?
Sorry to say but this seems to be "The New Green ". We live in Gippsland, Victoria Oz and on a one hour trip today we passed two new gates sporting this green. My wife pointed out to me that a shopping centre in the town of Cranbourne features a huge drive-in entrance is right in your face with this putrid color . Beware Already !

I spoke to one of the builders two days ago. The building should be finished in around 6 weeks. He also says that the pillars at the front would be getting new balls.

Wam,

Not an economy job then - I hope that they will be well and truly anchored in with steel rods in this vandalistic age!

Maurice

I was at a heritage thing at the Roundhouse on Saturday and they had someone from the architects responsible. The green paint was apparently the closest match they could get to the original colour on the external metalwork which they found by cleaning down the layers on the metalwork they had to take out.

All balls present & correct, this photo has to be after the early 60's if that is a plastic carrier bag the gentleman is carrying.

Balsall Heath Moseley Rd School of Art.jpg

Last edited:
Viv

I have no doubt that the gates in the fence each side of the entrance were there to facilitate the cleaning of the windows and other general maintenance work.

Last thursday I visited the exhibitions at the school (the last day) . One comprised posters on the history of the school, and the other concerned the Phyllis nicklin photographs. Spoke to Dave, who is now in charge of the building. He informed me that half of the workshop and other spaces are now let and that it is proposed to have two large rooms, one of which housed the Nicklin exhibition. for events , exhibitions etc, and that there would be an email newsletter distribution to interested people when it could be set up.
As I am not one for sitting in contemplation of my photos archive like Scrooge on Christmas Eve, below are some photos, first on the history of the building:

P1010184A.jpgP1010185A.jpgP1010186A.jpgP1010187A.jpgP1010189A.jpgP1010190A.jpgP1010191A.jpgP1010192A.jpgP1010193A.jpgP1010194A.jpg

The Rockin Berries were formed at Moseley Sch of Art, disbanded when the left the school and later reformed again. They were the first Birmingham ‘Brum Beat’ group to get into the top ten music charts. Article from the Stage, August 1964. Viv.

Attachments

• 0AC822EB-B610-4C4B-AAF0-15000A52947F.jpeg
    0AC822EB-B610-4C4B-AAF0-15000A52947F.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 14A5502E-45E2-4007-A0A7-D6EE4187E8EB.jpeg
    14A5502E-45E2-4007-A0A7-D6EE4187E8EB.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1698515F-F8D0-456A-952A-4AA611A56639.jpeg
    1698515F-F8D0-456A-952A-4AA611A56639.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 7
agree with you about sharing our photos mike....lets face it if the historians of the past did not write down what they saw and photographs were not taken we would have no history to talk about...no point keeping them under lock and key never to be seen...anyhow glad you enjoyed the exhibition and many thanks for sharing the photos you took

lyn

I went there in 1944 during the end of WW2 when I was 11 until 15 then I went to work as an apprentice and tea maker, for William Bloye the sculptor. Memories now blurred with age. Do remember having the cane in the classroom downstairs at the back by the playground, The teacher was a big man very strict. The church next door had been bombed at one time during an air raid. I was not a good joiner in and rather reserved. Took buses from Yardley, up the Coventry road then walked up to a hill by the RR station, to another bus on Moseley Rd. Did a lot of watercolour paintings has a few on display.

Great photo's Mike! brings back memories (not always good ones) I did visit MSA in 2003 for a reunion and have some photos somewhere...it was owned by a muslim organization at that time, is that still the case?
Dave A

Back