• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor End Lane School

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
This Gate column is all that remains of my old school... Moor End Lane School Erdington.
Anyone got any photos of it?

Thanks to Google Earthimage.jpeg

Replacement image - may vary from original.

Last edited by a moderator:
frothy, my mom now lives in the warden controlled flats attached to the post. its lovely inside and very comfortable for her.

great pics tony thanks for taking the time to post them.....shame frothy is not on any of them.....

lyn

great to see my old headmaster mr taylor
i went to moor end a couple of years after your pictures
i have actually got a brick from lovely moor end school
happy days ...

Does anyone remember a 4 foot model of a ship that was donated to the school just prior to WW2 back in the 30s ?
It was donated by a pupil, Howard Newman and it was built by his grandfather a Mr Kibby.

I attended Moor End Junior and Infant school in 1945-1950 ish. Miss Hunt was the headteacher. Mr. Hickman and Mr. Davies were teachers there. I have just acquired a postcard of the school taken by Geo. L. Grigg.

I also went to Moorend Lane School, I found this pic but I don't know anyone in the pic View attachment 47207

This is Birches Green Junior School about 1950, not Moor End Lane.

Front row: Hazel Hughes. ?, ? Maud Randall, - Higgins, Margaret Foster, Margaret Griffiths, ?, ?, ?,

2nd row: Eric Bull, Sidney Fisher, ?, Jean Clements, Maureen Carter, Ann Barton, Freda Wells, ?, ?, ?,

3rd row: Teacher, Freddie Goode, Lenny Brunn, John Thompson, Victor Demin, ?, Jimmy Allmark, Keith Bonney, John Watts, Ronnie Chamberlain,

Back row: ?,?, Keith Satchwell, Ronnie Cutler, John Wesley,Kenny Satchwell, ?,

Yes I have a postcard of Moor End Lane School.
I attended the junior school. Miss Hunt was the headmistress.
Fentham,

I didn't get to go on this trip. these kids was the goody goodys

moor.jpg

Hello again,

The photo you have put on is after my time at Moor End. I attended the Junior School only. After that I went on the Fentham Girls School.
I started the Juniors in 1945.
The postcard I have is taken from the Senior Entrance but obviously the Junior School is visable. It is a good quality postcard.

I attended Moor End Junior and Infant school in 1945-1950 ish. Miss Hunt was the headteacher. Mr. Hickman and Mr. Davies were teachers there. I have just acquired a postcard of the school taken by Geo. L. Grigg.
I was at MEL then, what is your name. I have some photo's of that era. Remember standing all around the hall at assembly calling your name out and how many tables out of 100 you got in the tests.
Alan Spencer.

Hi Jean, my brain is searching for your image.I think I can remember you. I have a great memory for most in that era, see if you are on this photo, taken in 1947 Miss Owens class.MEL 1947 Miss Owens Class.jpg

Hi

I am not on that one. The one I am on is 1946. Alec Bragginton, David Luty, Tony Town, Joan Hough, Philip Potter, Michael Ciooper just a few I can name without Alec to help me.
Do you remember John Conduct, he took us to Boscabel House. He was a student teacher then. Out class did "The Cries of London" at the Town Hall. Mr. Davies was rather good at giving out the cane (I did not have this) but when he did his feet left the floor.

Have you any other photos?

Jean

I remember most of those names. You must have been in the class ahead of me, as Alec and Michael Cooper were a touch older than me. I am in regular contact with Michael Cooper who now lives in the South of France. I have been down to visit him, he is in good health although his wife isn't quite so.MEL Town Hall Concert 1951a.jpg This is a photo of the Birmingham Town Hall all schools concert I think in 1951. I am the foremost character at the front.I have other photo's in the depths of my computer somewhere. I will endeavour to find them. I now live in Madley, Hereford, but I have relatives in Birmingham still. I am also in regular contact with Frank Wolstencroft, now living in New York.

Hello again,

Photo is great but as you say you are a year below us.
I am glad to hear that Mickey is okay. I was his girlfriend for a couple of years. He was one of the boys in the church choir and also of course was in my class.
When you next get in touch. give him my best wishes. He used to call my Ginge. Alec and I have always wondered how he was. Alec was our best man so obviously we are on the phone from time to time for a good gossip. We used to ring the bells at Erdington.
We live in Kings Norton and have done just after we got married.
I have a postcard of Moor End Land School, if you would like a copy I will send it to you.
Do you remember Miss Hunt, she frightend the life out of me. Mr. Hickman, Mr. Davies and Miss Bott are the other members of staff I remember.

Keep in touch
Jean Payne nee Stephens

There was Miss Hallback who I am indebted for all my life for instilling the times table into me, that I can still recite now. I'm appalled that my 16 year old grand-child can't remember any of her tables. There was of coarse Miss Marsh, that used to pull up your trouser leg and give you a good slapping, Ouch that did hurt. Gertrude Kate Hunt was just a baggage, it's no wonder she was a miss. Just saying.
I will send your regards onto Micky Cooper, he used to live just around the corner from me in Beeches Drive, Erdington, just a few doors up from Dave Allen, who was also in my class. His Dad ran Allens Radio & TV shops in the High Street, Erdington.
My sister in law has just recently taken a flat in West Heath. My late mother in law had a flat just below the Man on the Moon pub, so I know the area well.
There was a Phillip Payne at MEL, any relation?.

Hi
I remember Miss Hallback, however I never know Miss Hunt was a Gertrude Kate. I also remember the name Miss March. Mickey lived at 110 Beeches Drive I think. Phillip Payne is no relation. My husband went to Princess Orphange infant, Boldmer Juniors and then onto Bishop Vesey. We met in Erdington Church Yard! I suppose you know that the church was badly burned a few years ago. They have taken a long time to renovate with a lot of messing around and the elder members of the congregation are not happy.
Phillip Potter used to live near Dare Road, do you remember him. He was very small even smaller than myself and used to call for me to go to school, I lived in Church Road so it was rather a long walk for him. One day I was running into the school toilets and he was running out and we bumped into one another he gave me the most awful black eye and I must admit that Miss Hunt and Mr. Hickman were very kind to me that day!!
Bye for now,
Jean

Hi
I remember Miss Hallback, however I never know Miss Hunt was a Gertrude Kate. I also remember the name Miss March. Mickey lived at 110 Beeches Drive I think. Phillip Payne is no relation. My husband went to Princess Orphange infant, Boldmer Juniors and then onto Bishop Vesey. We met in Erdington Church Yard! I suppose you know that the church was badly burned a few years ago. They have taken a long time to renovate with a lot of messing around and the elder members of the congregation are not happy.
Phillip Potter used to live near Dare Road, do you remember him. He was very small even smaller than myself and used to call for me to go to school, I lived in Church Road so it was rather a long walk for him. One day I was running into the school toilets and he was running out and we bumped into one another he gave me the most awful black eye and I must admit that Miss Hunt and Mr. Hickman were very kind to me that day!!
Bye for now,
Jean
DSCF6511.JPG DSCF6524.JPG Erdington Parish Church a couple of years ago, and Micky Coopers house, I believe is the right hand side of this semi.I always remember they had a cherry tree in their back garden, and when it was in ripe fruit we used to go around and gorge ourselves. His Mom used to scold us saying the only time she ever saw us was when the cherries were ripe. Things you remember. !!!!!

Back