• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor End Lane School

I think memories are good. They keep the past alive don't they. We do a lot of Family History and when you look back on your various families and how they lived it give us the knowledge that we lived in a good time during the 1940/60's. I feel sorry for our grandchildren as I think life could be tough. Mine are all from Wales.
Micky's mum and mine were quite friendly. They used to chat in Erdington Village. Mick's Dad was a church warden I think.
The 1948 class photo second girl from the left, do you remember her name.

Jean

I thought it was, she had a sister called Pauline and they lived in York Road. We all went to Sunday School together. I must say I hadn't realised or remembered that they went to Moor End. They both went on to Fentham. There was only about 10 months between them.

Jean

So didn't you remember Nesta Hampton, she also went to Fentham, she now lives in Toronto, Canada. We also have a friend of long standing that went to Fentham, and lived off Reservoir Road, her name was Ann Whitingham. She now lives in Market Drayton, Shropshire.

Hello again,

The story goes on! I do not remember Nesta, but we do know Ann Whittingham, she lived in Dare Road and Alec Bragington now lives in her Dad's house. What a small world it is.
Tea is ready, will chat again.

Jean

Hi Fentham:

I attended Fentham Sec.Mod from 1954 to 1957 and have posted a lot of photos on the Fentham Friends Reunited site including some photos from
the 2004 Centenary Reunion held at Sutton Townhall. 375 ex pupils from Fentham attended. Diane Braggington, Alec's sister, was a good friend of mine at school. I attended Erdington Parish Church for several years and there were quite a few Fentham girls attending at the same time. I met up with Diane about ten years ago in The Royal
in Sutton. Her husband was retiring and they wanted to move away from Sutton where they had lived for several years. She told me that Alec rang the bells at Erdington Parish Church for many years. I remember Nesta also. I have memories of Margaret Luty and knew her first husband Ernie.

Hello Jennyann
We have spoken before but not about school. Alec was our ringing master for several years at Erdington. I knew Margaret Luty and Ernie and also David Luty was in my class at Moor End. We spent many a good evening at the Bragington's house.
Jean

MEL Town Hall Concert 1951a.jpgMoor End Lane Primary, all schools concert at the Town Hall Birmingham 1951/2 Above.
Below, Miss Owens class, 1947/8. I can name most of these if anyone want's to know. MEL 1947 Miss Owens Class.jpg

Hi Jennyann

I have found quite alot of phots re: Fentham, form pics, etc. Where are the originals. I obviously have a photo of the class with Miss Stephenson in which was mine.How did you get hold of the others. I am on the photos of the row of girls having completed some needlework. Is there an original anywhere so we can copy it ourselves and get a better result. Also to my joy there was the National Schools alongside the Roebuck. We spent quite alot of time in the Roebuck after bellringing. Lemonade however in my day. If you have any more of the National Schools it would be nice to see them. I have several photos of the dance productions we did and also one of myself dancing alone (a rehearsal) with Miss M.E. Vaughan in the background. This I believe was in a magazine of some kind but I do not know which.

Jean

I am not familiar with the way you reply to messaes other than this way. It would be nice to get in touch with Micky some of his friends here would be interested.
Jean

I don't know whether I replied properly, however I quite understnad. Like you it is nice to chat with old friends to see how they are doing.

Jean

Festival of Britain trip From Moor End Lane School 1951. Anyone remember this. The exhibition to commemorate 100 years of industry. The dome of discovery and the cigar shaped object. First time I ever tasted "Green" ice cream, can't remember what flavour it was, probably mint. A magnificent exhibition that I will always remember.

Back