• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moody Blues

Many years ago, when I was about 17, I used to play in a blues band for a while. This would have been about 1964-5. Now and then, we used to play at a pub in Wolverhampton somewhere, along with a load of other blues bands. I have a recollection that the Moody Blues used to be there as well as Spencer Davies, all struggling to "make it". There were so many good groups out there at that time, some of you may remember the 'Beachcombers' from the Plaza and 'Gerry Levine and the Avengers'. I remember the first time that I saw the Beatles was at the Plaza (before their 'Love me do' hit) and I thought that they were not as good as our local groups. The luck of the draw.......and a lot of hard work.

Frantic,
I was at the plaza the night the Beatles were on had to sit on a guy shoulders to see them, I think his name was Johny Glue they used to call him STICKY. I saw the Kinks there as well.

Sorry to say of all the bands I saw....the Moody Blues were the worst.....when to see them at the Birmingham Odeon in the early 80's....could only take about 30 minutes or so before we (my wife) had to walk out....paid good money as well to see them......I rather listen to duck breaking wind......its a good job we all have different tastes

I too was at the Plaza the night the Beatles were there! I was right at the front, loved them then, dont now, hubby still thinks theyre great.
Wonderful memories of the Plaza.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Jackie

Thanks for the pic Postied, At the time, I thought that the little guy on the right was a fantastic lead guitarist.

Justin Heywood is a Grandfather

Moody Blues Justin Haywood became a Grandfather this week he has my best wishes :)

Congratulations to Justin Haywood. Welcome to a very happy club. From one Papa to another. Barry.

Thanks for posting that info about Justin Hayward becoming a grandfather. Congratulations to he and his wife Marianne. His daughter Doremi Celeste is named for the Kitchen Supervisor in the much loved comedy TV show "Are You Being Served". I believe the Hayward's changed the spelling slightly. Wonder what Doremi and husband will call their child?

I found some Moody Blues video and music on Youtube. Have several of their CD's but it's great to watch the videos and listen to favourites.

They are in Ipswich sometime this year must see if i can get a Ticket:)

Clint Warwick(born Albert Eccles original bass player with The Moodies came from Wilton St Aston born 25th June 1940 he played bass on the hit ''Go Now''
Clint sadly passed away 15th May 2004

I attended Clints funeral along with a lot of Birmingham band members from that era

The outro to this very sad day was ''Go Now'' and that bought a lot of tears to the people there including myself and my wife

R I P Clint
Mossy

Thanks for that Mossey. I had no idea Clint had passed away one of my favourite tracks "Go Now". As you say RIP Clint.

Hi All. I Know A Relative Of One Of The Band Members. Pinder Is His His Second Name. Some One Out There Will Know His First. May Be Mark. Anyway He Was Born In Chingford Road Kingtanding. One Road From Me And Went To Warren Farm Infants And Juniors. He Came Over From The States 2 Or 3 Years Ago To Visit His Relatives And Took A Trip Down Memory Lane To See His Old House And School. I Beleive He Knocked On The Door Of The Present Occupiers And Asked If He Could Have His Photo Taken And Maybe Have A Look Round. Love Their Music. Nights In White Satin One Of The Best. Wales

Thank you Wales, :) I knew one of them lived in Kingstanding but i could not remember which one, thank you for the reminder...Cat:)

Jerry Levine.

:)Postie. I used to work at the same place as a Jerry Levine but I think he played in the Beachcombers. Mind you I was only a 16 at the time. He was quite a bit older. The firm was Craelius diamond drilling co. My ravourite song from back there was go now. TTFN. Jean. :confused2:

Alan Johnson

Alf :)thank you so much for that, i have been and had a look, Al stood out as soon as i saw the photograph i knew him very well we used to call him ginger nut no need to explain why, i also think i knew Mike Sheridan and one of my friends was married to a brummie pop star she lives down this neck of the woods i always forget who he was but when next i see her i will ask. i can't believe that i have seen Alans face after all this time.
my husband used to take me to Pete Greens mothers house another pop star we went out with him one night to watch Frankie Vaughan, i think it was at a pub called The Wheat Shief. Happy days young carefree and in love...................Cat:)

I forgot to mention Clint lived in Kingstanding at the time he sadly passed away,and one of his locals was the Mount Kingstanding Rd

Is that pub still open

Mossy

the mount

Hi Mossy. The Mount Is On Kings Road Not Kingstanding Road. And Yes It Is Still There. Wales

Wales thanks i meant Kings Rd i used to drink in The Mount,when i lived in New oscott

Mossy

Alf :)thank you so much for that, i have been and had a look, Al stood out as soon as i saw the photograph i knew him very well we used to call him ginger nut no need to explain why, i also think i knew Mike Sheridan and one of my friends was married to a brummie pop star she lives down this neck of the woods i always forget who he was but when next i see her i will ask. i can't believe that i have seen Alan's face after all this time.
my husband used to take me to Pete Greens mothers house another pop star we went out with him one night to watch Frankie Vaughan, i think it was at a pub called The Wheat Shief. Happy days young carefree and in love...................Cat:)

Alan also toured with that old rocker Gene Vincent on his Swedish Tour

OH yes I remember it well:D

Last edited:
Found this site and it reminded me of old times.

Mike Pinder lived oposite me and before the band became famous, Mike and friends came into my house and played for us, my dad asking them to play.

We were all very young then. I used to know his sister Masie, well and I wonder what has been happening to her. my unwed name - HEMUS

I love 'Knights in White Satin'

Back