• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moody Blues

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
I love the Moody Blues music, but here's a question for you. >:D

IS IT "KNIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN " or

" NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN"

google shows both. :-\

Its Nights Postie

Writen by Justin Haywood after someone sent him a pair of Satin Sheets, I've always thought of it as a Love Song ::)

I have most of their albums in the Loft LOLOL

Great Band, I must get around to getting their stuff on CD. Does anyone remember their record shop above New Street Station in the shopping Mall? Threshold Records I think it was called?

I really dont remember Alf........ I just remember buying my albums from their in the latter 70's I think

It must have been about then 1974 that I got a couple of records on my weekends off in Brum as I worked at Cardiff City Football Club at the time :)

I have been lucky enough to see the Moody Blues twice in recent years and keep an eye on their website. They are coming to the Brum area this year- 13 October at the NEC. I saw them in Vancouver four years ago and at the Albert Hall in London in 2003. They are still as popular as ever although Ray Thomas has retired from the band. His lovely voice is really missed and his amazing flute playing. His health wasn't good enough to keep up with the touring which the band does a lot of.

Their concerts are sold out across the US every time they tour which is often. I am sure it's the same in the UK and other places.

"Days of Future Past" CDis one of my favourites and was years ahead of it's time. It's always to hand on my computer. Their cd's fetch higher prices than many other groups in the used record shops. I heard Justin tell the story about the satin sheets re Nights In White Satin in an interview...it was funny and a bit risque:eek:) A lot to do with face whiskers hooking the sheets on to his face. It should be noted that he wasn't alone ............. I find him very sincere and an excellent songwriter.

I hope they will come to Vancouver again before too long. They did an outside concert here a few years ago and do a lot of those kind of venues across America.
There are fans that follow them wherever they go mostly Americans.

Rod: "Question" is a fan favourite for sure especially the knocking sounds which the
faniacs time just right during the song at concerts. The words are so great in that song. I have several Moody cd's and I like Question also.....very much.

Bet that was a great show Pom. Lucky you. Did the band play all these tunes as listed?
2005 TOUR
World Tour

SET LIST

Lovely To See You
Tuesday Afternoon
Lean On Me (Tonight)
Actor
Steppin In A Slide Zone
English Sunset (USA Winter) or The Voice (Spring & Summer)
Talking Out of Turn
I Know You're Out There Somewhere
The Story In Your Eyes

Intermission

Forever Autumn (only played "Down Under" and in LA)
Your Wildest Dreams
Isn't Life Strange
The Other Side of Life
December Snow
Higher and Higher
Are You Sitting Comfortably?
I'm Just a Singer in A Rock in Roll Band
Nights In White Satin
Question

Encore:
Ride My See-Saw

The band have have made some changes to the Set List over the last two years for their tours which is good. Their fans though love the old favourites. Did the fans have their blue torches out when the band played "The Other Side of Life"?

Have to join in this discussion. My favourite track of all time of The Moodys was Isnt Life Strange. Fabulous track. BazzM.

BazzM I think the lyrics are super in Isnt Life Strange

Ive been hunting around our local stores the past day or two for a CD but as yet Ive not found anything. It looks like it's gonna be an Amazon job praps?

My claim to fame I knew Clint Warwick very well after he left the Moody Blues he worked for his self as a carpenter in fact I am reminded of him every day as he built the pine clad wall in my living room alas he as now passed away rest in peace Clint

Graeme Edge drums
Denny Laine vocal, guitar (left 1966)
Mike Pinder vocal, piano, mellotron
Ray Thomas vocal, flute
Clint Warwick vocal, bass guitar (left 1966)
Justin Hayward vocal, guitar, sitar (joined 1966)
John Lodge vocal, bass guitar, cello (joined 1966)

I used to work with is wife Marla Eccles Clints name was Albert Eccles prior to changing it to Clint Warwick

Ray Thomas's mom

Old thread, I know but I am new and looking through the posts. Ray Thomas's (founder member) mom was my dinner lady at Paget Road Junior and Infants school in the 60's. Just a bit of trivia that probably isn't commonly known. If I remember correctly, they lived on Paget Road, though Ray was born in Stourport-on-Severn. My claim to fame!

The Moody Blues

:angel: Thought you guys might like to see the write up from the 2005 concert here in Christchurch NZ.:)
Sorry if it is still a little blured, but is the best I could manage. :p

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that write-up Pom. They still tour a lot and their fans come out in big numbers to see them. Not sure when they will be in Vancouver again though. The Sting concert that is coming in May sold out in 20 minutes this morning!

As Sue says, it's difficult to select a favourite, I s'pose it depends what moody (blues) I'm in but Driftwood has got to rate pretty highly.

BTW, Gail still believes it's Knights - little innocent that she is. :rolleyes:

Welcome Paul, I'm pleased to tell you that Elsie, Ray Thomas' mother is still alive and lives next door to a friend of mine, she is in her 80s now, I have met her and she is a lovely lady.

Welcome Paul, I'm pleased to tell you that Elsie, Ray Thomas' mother is still alive and lives next door to a friend of mine, she is in her 80s now, I have met her and she is a lovely lady.

Hello, Sylvia. What fantastic news! Its so nice to hear something personal like this. I must let my sister know! Thanks so much for letting me know.

I think I am right but you never know, I am sure when I used to go to The Golden Cross upstairs there was a group that used to play ther called Elle Riot, it may have been Elle Riot and the Rebels, but I cant remember his name he had dark hair and went on to play in the Moody Blues. He took me home a couple of times, does that make me a groopy.

I think I am right but you never know, I am sure when I used to go to The Golden Cross upstairs there was a group that used to play ther called Elle Riot, it may have been Elle Riot and the Rebels, but I cant remember his name he had dark hair and went on to play in the Moody Blues. He took me home a couple of times, does that make me a groopy.

Yes Patty:D 8) what nice memories

:angel: Thought you guys might like to see the write up from the 2005 concert here in Christchurch NZ.:)
Sorry if it is still a little blured, but is the best I could manage. :p

Chris the Moodies went to college with my great friend Ernie who is in Oz and they visit him when in Perth been doing it for years I believe.

The College was somewhere near Alum Rock I think:)

Chris the Moodies went to college with my great friend Ernie who is in Oz and they visit him when in Perth been doing it for years I believe.

The College was somewhere near Alum Rock I think:)

Was it St Peter's College, in College Road Saltley? Sometimes known as Saltley College - or am I barking up the wrong tree!

Back