• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Montgomery Street School

tali

master brummie
Mr D.B Brazier headteacher Montgomery School till late 70s -lived in Dovehouse Lane Solihull.Sadly passed away soon after retirement, had a son who was a Vet in New Zealand.
Anyone have any more info on current members of Mr Brazier's family?
Thanks

Re: Mr D.B Brazier headteacher Montgomery School till late 70s

Hello tali

sorry can't help, but Denis must have had a long run. I was at Montgoery Steet from 54 and I'm sure he was there then.

Thanks Robert v interesting - he was def there a long time but i never knew how long . 1954 to 1979(iirc) would make 25 yrs at the very least.
Had VW Beetles whilst i was there.
Any info on your time at the school would be welcomed.:)

Sorry Tali, nothing comes to mind. If it does will post.

Lo tali
I loved Mr brazier to bits . I was at Montgomery st from 1963 to 1967 . He was a wonderfull man . I am a teacher myself and have never met anyone that was ever good enough to fill his shoes. I was from a very poor family and indeed the eductaion I received from his school sent me on to pass the 11 plus and then onwards . I thought he was old then .. but I was only 11.
Do you remember the sweets he used to give us when we had read to him in his office :)
Thanks for that memory .No I dont know his exhisting family but woyuld love to get hold of the book he wrote on multi ethnic education . Would be an interestng read
Jean

Thanks Catsclaws for info -was not aware of a book that he wrote - any further info on it?:cool:
Sadly on the day he retired i was off school due to illness.A lot of teachers were in tears on that sad day :(
Intrestingly On Friend Reunited a Bryce Brazier is listed in Montgomery School from 1950-76 - does this name ring a bell?
My sister started there first in 1968 - a year after you left

The Mr Brazier referred to - was his name Don? - was my present boss' (Duncan Brazier's) uncle. I just mentioned in passing was his father a teacher, and he replied no, his uncle was and he'd written a book on teaching.

The Mr Brazier referred to - was his name Don? - was my present boss' (Duncan Brazier's) uncle. I just mentioned in passing was his father a teacher, and he replied no, his uncle was and he'd written a book on teaching.

Can't find any info on author Don Brazier -checked Central library and British library online
:)

POST EDIT UPDATE FOUND THIS
Living together ... [By] D. Brazier ... E. Cooke, E. Jones. (Photography by Helen Piers.).

System number 000459656

Good to hear of memories -i was originally at 58 Anderton Rd(next door neighbour had a well in their garden !:cool: and moved to Medlicott Rd in 1977 (so don't remember shops mentioned)- and still live there.
Went to Montgomery and GHillock

I remember going to the Wrestling in Walford Road and thinking even then, "It's a fix!!!"

I remember the Waldorf burning down in early 80s

My nan lived in Sydenham Road, mom went to Conway Road School. I saw The Wizard of Oz at the Walford cinema, used to go roller skating at the roller rink. I lived in Ash Road, Saltley so used to get the number 8 bus. My dad worked at the BSA for 25 years, mostly in Montgomery Street, just oposite Farm Park.

Sue
My Sisters and I went to Montgomery Street , like Tali . They went to Conway rd too and I went to Waverley Grammar . I was lucky I think cos mum couldnt afford for me to go really .. so my sisters when they started work gave her all their wages to help her in the house so I could go .
I used to walk from osbourne rd down past fallow rd ? to anderton rd .. turn left at the Marlbourough pub walk a little way and then 2nd left up to Montgomery . Do you remember Mr brazier ? Tali does.
He was the best teacher in the world I think .
We used to play in Farm rd Park . I remember being chased bt the Parky cos we were naughty . There was a church there too we used to sing in the Choir at that church .
All floods back . What were your years Sue ?
Best wishes Jean

KP .. What years were you at Emanuel Church ? Were you at Sunday school there when I was ? Its seems like a hundred years ago now in another life .
Jean

End of a Family era Tali :( When I was there in 1966/7 there wasnt a huge fence around it . Have u any snaps of the school close up ?
regards Jean

Catsclaws - I didn't go to Conway Road, my mom did. She lived in Sydenham Road. We lived there with nan until 1955 then moved to Saltley. Dad worked at the BSA. Nan lived there until the early 1970's. My brother went to Farm Road School for a year or two. does anyone remember Mr Stanley who had the grocery shop in Sydentham Road?

End of a Family era Tali :( When I was there in 1966/7 there wasnt a huge fence around it . Have u any snaps of the school close up ?
regards Jean

The fence came in early 80s. End of Montgomery era for my family will be in 2016 thankfully -so some years left yet!:)
This only other pic i have at moment -which is from behind the fence(which is Grace Rd on Cartland Rd side.Mr Brazier's office would iirc have been on left further down the pic

yeah you are quite a bit younger than me I think tali . I was at Montgomery street in 1967 when it had just a little wall around it . It was a very happy school and it sounds like it is today from the way you speak :)
Best wishes Jean

yeah you are quite a bit younger than me I think tali . I was at Montgomery street in 1967 when it had just a little wall around it . It was a very happy school and it sounds like it is today from the way you speak :)
Best wishes Jean

Here is the said Planning App for the gates:)
Application number
Date application received
24/07/1981
Date application registered

Date application decided
15/10/1981
MONTGOMERY JUNIOR AND INFANTSSCHOOL GRACE ROAD SPARKBROOK EAST
Proposal
CLOSURE OF GRACE ROAD AND USEOF FORMER ROAD/ ADJOINING LAND FOR SCHOOL PLAYING FIELDS AND CAR PARK
Status
Approve

You may be interesed in this photograph of Montgomery Street School staff, which is dated 1950...

Mind you as I wasnt born until 1956 I dont think I would have recognised them ..chuckle silly Me LOL
Jean

How many watched the wrestling in the early 60's remember Kent Walton? I think It was wrestling night at the Waldorf on a Friday, although it could have been a Monday...Here are a few we saw. Billy Two Rivers, Masambula, Les Kellet, Ricky Starr, The Royal Brothers, what a scrap with Mick and Sheamus Donlevy the Irish Brummies. Can you think of any one else...and that record they used as the wrestlers walked to the ring kept gettin stuck and the old dears hitting em with their umbrellas if the flew out the ring. Oh yea Mick McManus now who else....? :D

It was almost midnight I was struggling with a drunk driver I had stopped near 6 ways Aston, a car pulled up this big bloke got out to help me. the drunk took a swing at him and got flattened for his trouble. when he sobered up I had the pleasure of telling him that he went about 10 seconds with Billy Yucon. :D:D

My nan lived in Stretton Grove, close to Stanley's the grocer. My mom and dad lived there too for the first 5 years of their married life. Nan then exchanged into Sydenham Road, I don't recall the number, but it wasn't far because her back gate used to open in Stretton Grove.

My great aunt also lived in the first or second house on the right coming in from Walford Road.

Hi catsclaws, Hi was at Motgomery street school 1962 - 1968 do you remember lorrain minchin as she was my first girl-friend
do you also remember miss Hobjinska she played the violin (ACE TEACHER) and yes Mr Brazier was the tops as our school head, He was always in a suit and tie and brown shoes and always clean and shiny.

Hi Mikeg
I certainly do remember .. Best school ever .. Well I Loved Mrs Hobjinska she used to tell us stories of her escaping and coming to England from the war . I was so inspired by her that I took the violin up and now I am a violin teacher myself . I loved Mr Brazier .. remember his sweetie jar .. we always got a sweet when we read to him . Were you in the year below me ? Do you remember the milk crates . That milk was gorgeous .. I was in MJr Shorts class. I think Lorraine or her elder sister was a friend of my sisters Susan and Julie Payton . Im Jean ne Payton :)
Hope you are well and happy ?
Kind regards Jean x

Hi Jean, yes i do remember you and you was in the year above me , and the sweet jar, I love the violin myself
and did want to learn it only thing was that i am disabled with chronic rhumatoid arthritus and my body moves in my head but not my joints,

By the way I was a milk monitor for my class, two bottels for me and lorraine!
all the best mikeg
michael green.

Hi Micheal .. Yes I remember you .. I do not have a brillaint memory for my early years . I dont know why and its all mixed up in my head . Sorry about the arthritus . We have osteo arthritus in my family and its hitting all us girls in turn .. usually in the knee. Very painful . We just have to keep it moving I suppose .
Do you remember the day MR Brazier caught those lads who were playing Marlies and swearing ? The next day he put them on the stage in front of everyone and put carbolic soap in their mouths .
Mrs Ashworth didn't like me BTW .. I don't know why :(
That school set me on the right path . We were from very poor homes but because of the start we got we were able to do something with our lives :)
Thank you Mr Brazier :)
Regards Jean xx

Well what a 'spooky' find this thread is. I have absolutely no connection with the school but the name Don Brazier rang somewhere from way back, then I read in post number 8 the name of E Cooke. I knew her quite well for some years and also met Don Brazier (maybe at Eileen Cooke's funeral. She married late in life to Edward Sandon Moss (d1980), and they lived in Bourton Road, Olton). It is peculiar that I, having such a remote and brief association with Don Brazier should remember him and the affection with which Eileen Moss, ne Cooke spoke of him.
Ted.

I attended Montgomery Street School from 1961, as a 'rising five' and was taught in classes of around 40 pupils at a time, by (among many others) Miss Cooke, Mrs E Jones, Mrs Askew, Miss Ashmore and Miss Gorniack.(I am not at all sure that I have spelt the last name correctly!). I hardly dare tackle the spelling of the surname of the teacher which sounded like 'Objinska', but I remember seeing it written on her door and it began with a 'CH' !
Mr Donald Brazier was an excellent but very strict headmaster: he needed to be I suppose because some children needed a lot of control. I was actually in some of the photographs in the Reading Scheme he wrote: notably, one of my feet featured in the counting book, placed sole-to-sole with one of my friends. As it was a multicultural reading scheme I contributed a white foot and my friend a black one. We couldn't afford to buy copies of the books then, but I wish I had one now.

Last edited:
Hi GillianJH, Mrs Askew, -my elder siblings remember her .Miss Gorniack -yes i remember her - looked like Margaret Thatcher with her bouffant hair!
Do you remember quite and placid Mrs Hingley - she retired after 40 yrs
i got email last year from Mr Brazier's grandson in New Zealand - because he saw this thread - but no reply from him yet

Back