• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moated manor house to be uncovered....

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...well i am so excited as today i have been told that the moated manor house..moat lane is to receive an archeological dig to reveal the foundations of the house...:) the wholesale markets which i believe is where the house and moat stood are to be moved to another site and after the dig will remain an open space...i have not been this exicted since following the winfield brass co dig 18 months ago..i have this info on good authority but will be contacting mike hodder the citys archeologist to see if he can give us anymore inf...like when is it going to happen:D

lyn

hi pol yes it sounds very exciting indeed although things wont be happening in the short term...here is the reply i have received from mike hodder confirming the proposals...

Hi Lyn

Good to hear from you. Yes, the moat of the manor house and the features
it encloses will form a new public open space, Moat Square, as part of
redevelopment of the Wholesale Markets site. This is mentioned in the Big
City Plan and the Core Strategy (both available on the City Council
website- see urls below), and more detailed design proposals will be
included in a Supplementary Planning Document currently in preparation. It
will probably be a few years before things happen on the site.

That's great Lyn. Though I think the house was built of big blocks of stone, and those would be a bit difficult for you to bring home than blue bricks.
Mike

That's great Lyn. Though I think the house was built of big blocks of stone, and those would be a bit difficult for you to bring home than blue bricks.
Mike

Dont worry Mike. She will find a way.

:D mike..i was waiting for someone to mention the word bricks...

mike 2...you are quite right...where theres a will theres a way...:thumbsup:;)

:D:D sue..i know this venture is some way off but its something for us to look forward to...hope to have bought a couple of wheelbarrows by then:D

lyn

:D:D rob..you are jesting i take it....i still giggle now at the thought of charlie humping her blue bricks all the way home on the train...:D:Djust going over the fox and grapes thread as i have an update on that pub...

lyn

I remember when we were all stood around your car with the boot open which was full of bricks, it looked like we were about to start a riot.lol

:D rob..that was a day to remember but it was key hill brians car we were loading up as he was taking some of the blue bricks to lay in front of the grave stone of thomas walker who invented them...and it was david fowler who kindly loaded up his car and dropped some brick off at my house...:)

lyn

Lyn there is a council building known as Manor House - it is where Bereavement Services are located - is this to be demolished? It is in Moat Lane. I always wondered why a newish office block was called Manor House, never gave it a thought!!

I have often wondered about the name of the street I lived on in Yardley, MOAT LANE, Did this mean that a moat was there at some time or just a name picked at random, any ideas? John Crump

hi john its named so because the manor house was surrounded by a moat...

hi shortie...as far as i know its just the wholesale markets that are being moved..

thanks viv its something to look foward to thats for sure..

John
The moat is shown in the c1888 map below
mike

moatinmoatlaneyardleyc1889.jpg

i was told the wholesale market was going to be moved to Holford drive, perry barr, true or not i do not know

I leved on MOAT LANE in Yardley for many years, Anyone know why it was called MOAT LANE was a castle or some such there at one time? John Crump Oldcurious Brit Parker.Co USA

hi folks...well i am so excited as today i have been told that the moated manor house..moat lane is to receive an archeological dig to reveal the foundations of the house...:) the wholesale markets which i believe is where the house and moat stood are to be moved to another site and after the dig will remain an open space...i have not been this exicted since following the winfield brass co dig 18 months ago..i have this info on good authority but will be contacting mike hodder the citys archeologist to see if he can give us anymore inf...like when is it going to happen:D

lyn
What is the latest news on this Lynn? I've heard nothing!

The Wholesale Markets and the multi storey car park on Moat Lane have yet to be demolished (for the Smithfields redevelopment).

The manor house of the Lords of the Manor of Birmingham was near Moat Lane (until it was demolished and filled in).

Last edited:
I leved on MOAT LANE in Yardley for many years, Anyone know why it was called MOAT LANE was a castle or some such there at one time? John Crump Oldcurious Brit Parker.Co USA
Thanks to Ell, you finally got a reply John. Albeit is nearly six years. :D:D Better late than never I guess.

This is in a book I've got called: A History of Maps Birmingham by Paul Leslie Line.

The map from is "Plan of Birmingham, surveyed by Thomas Hanson, 1778"The Moat at Moat Lane.jpg

What is the latest news on this Lynn? I've heard nothing!

as ellbrown has said until the wholesale market has been demolished and a new home found for it there will not be any digs going on...will let you know if and when i hear anything

lyn

Gilbertstone Recreation Ground is south of Moat Lane in Yardley.

moat lane yardley.jpg

From Bill Dargue's site:

https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-y/yardley/

Close to the ridge and furrow behind the church in Old Yardley Park is a is a medieval earthwork known as Rents Moat. Beside the churchyard wall can be seen a tree-covered rectangle, the site of the moated manor house, and on the side furthest from the church a bank can still be seen among the trees. As the straight northerly line of Church Road doglegs to the west at Barrows Lane, it has been suggested that a straight road originally led directly to this manor house site, which may therefore pre-date the church. If this is the case, the site must have been occupied when the first chapel was built in 1165 during the tenancy of the Beauchamp family of Elmley. However, this was only one of many Beauchamp manors held by the family for some 300 years. The family are thought to have rarely lived here and the hall was very likely sublet.

The de Limesi family were resident during the 13th century, at the time when the present church building was begun. They are the likely sponsors of the work. About 1700 the Allestree family, then occupants of Rents Moat, moved to Witton Hall, and this hall was subsequently demolished. The silted but still water-filled moat was infilled for safety reasons in 1900 when the Yardley Great Trust gave land between Church Road and Queens Road for public access as Old Yardley Park.

Back