• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Metro-Cammell wartime radar production

A

ackack

I am restoring a radar trailer built in 1943. The body was built by Metro-Cammell and I was wondering if anyone can remember them being built or if there is any information surviving about them.

I have attached a post-war photo showing the boxy shaped body with the curved front.

While I was on an apprenticeship at Metro Cammell in the late 60s, I saw that tons of old files and drawings were burnt on the railway sidings alongside the factory. I managed to rescue a couple of bus photos and a manual for a 'Cromwell' tank, but I suspect most of the stuff went. Birmingham library had some railway drawings when the offices closed, and some bus drawings were saved by Wythall museum, but I don't think anything like that has surfaced. I will enquire, though.

ackack, Radar trailer, and interior view can`t enlarge because they pixillate.don`t know if its Metro-Cammell hope they help. Len.

I have heard this story time and time again about records being burnt by the skip-full by various wartime producers. It is such a shame, but I suppose at the time the material wasn't that interesting and nobody had the hindsight to save it.

Yes the photos of the radar in a very poor condition on the anti-aircraft.co.uk web-site are indeed mine! I actually run the web-site.

The 2 photos of the following reply are of the No3 Mk7 radar, which was designed just after the war. I'm not sure off hand who built them. Very interesting photos, would like to see some larger ones.

Back