• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

measles

Shera

true brummie
im sad to see the increase in children suffering from measles again.

when i was young virtually everyone caught measles and it was a nasty disease. i remember how ill i felt when i had it. my sister pat had a very bad reaction as her eyes were damaged. she still has to have thick lenses especially made in germany because her eyesight is so poor and this was a direct result of measles.

my youngest child who is now nearly 30yrs was just in time to have the jab so its been available a long time now.

I had it while at school and was sent home. I think that the jab is compulsory here in Belgium but will have to check up on that.

My childhood was spent in dreadful tenement slum housing and because of that, I seemed to contract everything illness.
I was exposed to TB, suffered Hepatitis, Scarlet Fever twice, Chickenpox and German measles.
But despite Birmingham housing I am still here.
Here is my memory as an 8 year old, of German Measles.

I hadn't felt well on the Sunday and Aunt Nell made me sleep overnight at their house. The following morning I still felt rotten, so Aunt Nell decided that school was out and and that she should take me home on the bus.
Aunt Nell sat us at the front of the bus so that I could peer through the back of the drivers compartment and watch the driver change gear and turn a large dial with a point on it that indicated wether he was turning left or right. The drivers compartment held little interest that morning. I can remember the oily smell that came up from the floor of the bus it made me feel even more nauseous.
I managed not to throw up until I got home. My mother had that set look, which told me she was concerned. She said she would send for the doctor.
"Not feeling too well old chap?" he said, putting his brown leather bag on the bed. He was a young locum that was standing in for a crusty old Scottish doctor who normally came.
He took out his stethoscope. "Breath in...... out......in........out. Hmmm.........Say Ahhrrrr! Fine. Get some sleep."
I waited for my mother.
I'd had chickenpox once. It wasn't to bad at the beginning, but when the lumps came up the desire to scratch was all consuming. I had to wear green woollen mittens so that if I did scratch it wouldn't break the skin and leave a scar.
Scarlet fever twice. At the beginning I felt very sick, quite a lot of vomiting, although I never had much of a fever and I didn't turn scarlet.
I turned a sort of bright yellow ochre once, when I had jaundice, not unlike the yellow film wrapped around a Lucozade bottle. My colour upset my sister more than me. She didn't like to think that she might catch it and go the same colour. Jaundice lasted along time, so that I didn't go to school for weeks.
"You've got measles. You'll be off school for a week at least." My mother plumped up the pillow, tucked in the ends of the sheet and said that she would look in later.
I fell asleep.
I woke up, the sun was streaming into the room, the late afternoon sun. "How long have I been asleep ?"
"You've been asleep for over twenty four hours, how do you feel ?" [I felt disoriented.] "Thirsty."
"I've bought you some Lucozade, try to drink some."
We always had Lucozade if we were really sick.
To relieve the boredom of lying in bed I would view the room through the yellow cellophane wrapper of the Lucozade. Changing the colour of the sky to green.
I sipped from the glass. Even without the wrapper it had the colour of pee. It had a sharp acidic taste, that confirmed you were unwell.
My brother's head looked into the room. "I'm not coming in. I don't want measles. Would you like to read this," he tossed a book onto the bed, his head disappeared and he clumped down the wooden stairs.
I lay back on the pillow. I looked at the ceiling and listened to the sounds of early evening. Children back from school were laughing. A skipping rope slapping the blue bricks in the yard, a car, a train puffing its way up north, past the red back to back houses of Shakespeare Road.
I must have fallen asleep again because the cold white light on the ceiling told me it was now morning.
Different sounds now. A pigeon on the roof was cooing, I could hear the feet scratching above my head on the slates.
Music came from the wireless downstairs. "Housewives Choice." The top of the window was open and the curtains gently flapped. I could hear the women talking in the yard as they did their washing. "He never did!" I wondered what he never did.
I had porridge for breakfast. I was allowed a whole spoonful of Lyles Golden Syrup to sweeten it. " Golly I must be ill."
There on a table beside the bottle of Lucozade next to the bed was a paperback book, my brother had tossed to me.
"Tiger Squadron" by Wing Commander L.T. Jones.
The cover of the book showed a Spitfire, red, white and blue roundels, closely followed by a Messerschmitt Me109 with it's black crosses, above them white curving trails in a pale blue sky. The sun slowly slipped across the wallpaper and warmed the room. I slipped down between the cotton sheets and into the pages. As I read on I began to learn and then to feel what it must be like to fly a Hurricane, and later the Spitfire.
I learned the rates of climb for both aircraft.
Not to fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area.
If you have the height you have the advantage.
The silhouette of a Heinkel 111, a Dornier 17, or the blind spots of a Junker 88.
That I could out turn a 109, but not out dive it.
That to stop my engine missing at the top of a loop I could flick the aircraft into a half roll and complete the loop without losing power. The Battle of Britain took place in my bedroom all over again.
In the battle the position of the sun was crucial. If you were a pilot it was your blind spot. The advantage went to those who had the height and attacked with sun behind them. I became more aware of the sun's influence on my room. Its brightness. The angle of the shadows it cast around the room.
From the sounds I could hear in the yard I could tell it was now close to dinner time. I could hear the saucepans in the kitchen and the sound of cupboard doors being open and shut. There was a lull in the battle when Mom brought up a bowl of tomato soup with two or three slices white bread.
In five hours I had learnt to fly a Spitfire.
I closed the book and lay back on the pillow.
There were Messerschmitts and Spitfires wheeling around the blue sky inside my head.
If the doctor had looked in just then, he would have seen RAF roundels in my eyes and black crosses and swastikas on my tongue, a rash of Stukas on my back.
He would have been forced to the conclusion, that I now had contracted German measles.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/images/attach/jpg.gif

I had measles as a kid, it seemed to be the 'norm' then.
I sure I saw a news item today saying 'Scarlet Fever a 19th Century disease making a comeback'
I had that as kid and was off school 6 weeks. I seemed to remember my tongue turned white and then peeled !

Ladywood Just wanted to say I enjoyed your post I am off topic but it bought back memories of when i had my tonsils out age 7 at the ear nose and throat in town .wow some bad memories there

Ladywood,

That was well written and brought back a few memories of my own.

Graham.

Hi Ladywood

I've just read your account of when you had measles. What a memory for detail you have. I did enjoy reading your story, and it brought back memories of when as a child I was really ill and had to stay in bed with nothing to look at but the wallpaper, and try and find patterns and shapes in it.

I had the usual viruses doing the rounds in those days: Measles, Chickenpox, Mumps, and a bad one was Whooping Cough which left me in bed for a few weeks. I had just started at dancing school and remember very well my red tap shoes with big red bows on the front arriving while I was stuck in bed. I got delirious at one stage and remember Mom slapping me across the face to bring me out of it.

Shera, my sister also had problems with her eyesight after having measles. It was said you had to keep the curtains drawn to keep the room dark or it would affect your eyesight. She has worn glasses ever since, just like your sister.

Judy

Had measles as a 3/4yr old and was kept in my cot in my Mom & Dads bedroom alway in the dark circa 1932/33, had whooping cough and given a mixture named Liqufruta? also a a rope necklace with Pitch on was used to help your breathing. i would urge all parents to get their children vaccinated. no HHS then you paid for medical treatment in some way or other. Len.

Very good recollections of your bout of Measles, Ladywood. The followup posts made me think of when I was ill with Measles. Having to stay in bed was awful since you hadn't a clue what was going on in the house just sounds. My older brother and I had Measles at the same time and I remember Mom hanging a sheet up on my brother's doorway. The doctor had recommended this and it was dabbed with disinfectant. I am not sure why it was necessary. I missed school and had to catch up when I returned.
Same with Scarlet Fever and Whooping Cough.

Ladywood have just finished reading your post and found it so interesting and like others brought back memories. I think the only childhood thing I didn't catch was whooing cough but I remember the girl opposite having it and she kept us awake poor girl with her awful cough. I had to sleep in a cot in my parents room as my aunt lived with us and my brother occupied the box rook. He sneaked some crayons into my cot with paper but I chose to draw on the wallpaper. I remember being told off but not as much as if I had done it when I wasn't poorly. Ialso found a loose bit of wallpaper and began pulling it off. Jean.

Back