• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

meadway tavern

woofy

proper brummie kid
Any one know what year it closed and why, in the 60s it was always busy had a one armed drummer
who played on weekends his wife was the singer. cheers

Hi Woofy

I think the entertainment in the lounge stopped because of the usual thing too many fights. So they stopped the entertainment and redesigned the pub I don't know why the pub closed down unless it was the same reason all the rest have closed lack of customers, I was still using it every Saturday lunchtime as late as 1985 and it was still open then .

Phil

55a878e3.jpg

Cheers Phil
great photo will raise a glass to you tonight. must be a lack of pubs in the area nowadays thanks again.

woofy

The site was occupied by Fine Fare & Netto supermarkets and has now been taken over as an Asda Express. Len.

Does anyone know when this pub (Tavern) was built?

I can't see anything built on the land before 1960, but a photo outside it seems to suggest a time earlier.

Just wonderin' ;)

Attachments

• birmingham_b25_meadway2.jpg
    birmingham_b25_meadway2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 67
Judging by the two maps below from c1969 and c 1952, there was an earlier Meadway pub on a slightly different site

map around site of meadway tavern c 1952.jpg map around site of meadway tavern c 1969.jpg

Last edited:
Mikejee, should that be 1952 ie not 1852. Certainly a lot more rural in 1852.
Think I remember it being built around 1950 near The Pool Way shopping centre

It was when the initial shops were built in Pool Way, the road that was off Sheldon Heath across from Broadstone Rd. Not when the larger shopping "complex" was built which was much later and facing the Meadway. Remember pop singer Michael Holliday did the opening ceremony!

Does anyone know when this pub (Tavern) was built?

I can't see anything built on the land before 1960, but a photo outside it seems to suggest a time earlier.

Just wonderin' ;)
I have just found out that the original pub, the wooden one, was built in 1952. The photo is group of ladies going to the races, possibly Ascot.

Back