• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mavitta Family

W

walterm

Hi

I am trying to find out if there are any living decendents of the Mavitta family. Alice Kate Mavitta was my great grandmother and was brought up in Aston where the family had an enginneering firm. Eventually making drafting machine and instruments I think. The Mavitta name seems to have disappeared and I was just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any decendants

many thanks

Walter

Hi walterm

Do you know when Alice was born and if she had siblings

Had a look in the 1911 census and found one family only --

MAVITTA, William Head 47 1864 Mathematical Drawing Scale Maker Aston
MAVITTA, Ada Maria Wife Married 20 years 44 1867 Aston
MAVITTA, Winifred Annie Daughter Single 19 1892 Shorthand Typist Aston
MAVITTA, Leslie William Son Single 16 1895 Drawing Scale Maker Aston
MAVITTA, Phylis Ada Daughter Single 12 1899 Scholar Aston
HACKER, Alice Maud Servant Single 32 1879 Domestic Servant

Pinchurst, Court Lane, Erdington, Birmingham. Will see if i can find out location of Pinchurst as i live just off Court Lane.

bren

Thanks Bren,

I think she was born in 1869 and lived at Unity Cottage Heathfield Road, Handsworth I think. She married a chap called Harry Milbourne French who was a dentist sometime in 1890's I think and then moved over here to N.Ireland

Walter

Walter
To clear the matter up from birmingham directories
1868 Crook Fredk P. Unity cottage,Heathfield road, Handsworth
1872 – 1880 Mavitta William, Unity cottage,Heathfield road, Handsworth
1883 Not listed
So if she was born there in 189, then they will only just have moved in
mike

Do you have any information on MAVITTA, Leslie William Son Single 16 1895 Drawing Scale Maker Aston
headed to Canada August 15, 1920
and then unable to track him

Welcome to the Forum, nemrac. You seem to be not the only one who has drawn a blank. His wife, Alice Maud Mary nee Eyles seems to have died on 3 February 1952 at Bristol (from a Public Member Tree on Ancestry.com), but of him there is no sign after leaving the RAF in 1918. On the Probate Registry she is shown as "wife" rather than "relict" of Leslie William Mavitta, so presumably at the point he was still believed to be alive.

What was your source for him travelling to Canada in 1920 as I can't find him of the FindMyPast Passenger Lists?

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks, MWS, the site I looked at didn't seem to have a search by passenger name - I'll try and backcheck it on FMP.

EDIT: Typed manifest states Leslie Navitta, so FMP won't alter it because that is clearly what is says on the document. His occupation is shown as an engineer and age 28 years.

Last edited:
yes! Thank you for that :) That is the information I have on him leaving to Canada

Leslie William Mavitta arrived in Canada and I lost track of him once he started west and never re-emerged in the UK or Ireland. He left behind a wife and child in the UK.

maybe he traveled west under pseudonyms in Canada to start a new life?

nemrac,

Canadian Deaths are subject to a 70 year closure and you need to search province by province, but that would assume he died before reaching his 55th birthday, so hardly worth the considerable effort. This may well be a brick wall for quite a while.

I believe he could of ended up in BC...but maybe changed his name once he arrived in Canada.. you are right about a brick wall..

Hi

I am trying to find out if there are any living decendents of the Mavitta family. Alice Kate Mavitta was my great grandmother and was brought up in Aston where the family had an enginneering firm. Eventually making drafting machine and instruments I think. The Mavitta name seems to have disappeared and I was just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any decendants

many thanks

Walter
Hi Walter! Have you done Ancestry? I would be interested to see if I was a match to you

Hi Walter! Yes, that was Leslie William Mavitta.... I am looking for more information on him, as i believe he could be my father! He got off the ship in Quebec August 1920 and I believed he changed his name.

I have done Ancestry DNA as well as 23 and me and made matches to the Clark, Mavitta, Parson

William Mavitta 1831-1897 – Ada Maria Parson 1867-1924 (lots of shared DNA with these 2) closest match is -Helena 2nd cousin (Off of Alice Kate Mavitta – Williams sister)

I had help with my tree and it was suggested I look into Leslie William Mavitta as, he was the only son William Mavitta 1831-1897 – Ada Maria Parson 1867-1924 and headed to Canada! I hit a brick wall once he arrived in Canada (Quebec) August 1920..

I know who my mother is but not my father...it was a family secret! I was born in Victoria BC in 1932

Any help would we welcomed and Have you done Ancestry DNA?
if you could check your DNA matches/Trees for my name, that would be a big help

Thanks so much for getting back to me! :)

There was something I remember about one of the Mavitta's who went to Canada I think he may have has shellshock after the war
Hi Walter! Yes, that was Leslie William Mavitta.... I am looking for more information on him, as i believe he could be my father! He got off the ship in Quebec August 1920 and I believed he changed his name.

I have done Ancestry DNA as well as 23 and me and made matches to the Clark, Mavitta, Parson

William Mavitta 1831-1897 – Ada Maria Parson 1867-1924 (lots of shared DNA with these 2) closest match is -Helena 2nd cousin (Off of Alice Kate Mavitta – Williams sister)

I had help with my tree and it was suggested I look into Leslie William Mavitta as, he was the only son William Mavitta 1831-1897 – Ada Maria Parson 1867-1924 and headed to Canada! I hit a brick wall once he arrived in Canada (Quebec) August 1920..

I know who my mother is but not my father...it was a family secret! I was born in Victoria BC in 1932

Any help would we welcomed and Have you done Ancestry DNA?
if you could check your DNA matches/Trees for my name, that would be a big help

Thanks so much for getting back to me! :)

Hi , I haven't done any DNA but will do that and let you know , I just remember a vague mention of a Mavitta who went to Canada probably because of some form of mental illness caused by the war, I think he was sent to Canada maybe to recover

Hi , I haven't done any DNA but will do that and let you know , I just remember a vague mention of a Mavitta who went to Canada probably because of some form of mental illness caused by the war, I think he was sent to Canada maybe to recover
Thanks Walter! Please do let me know if you do decide to do the Ancestry DNA. i would love to see how we match. i believe we may share William Mavitta and Anne Clark (my great grandparents) Would they be your Great-Great Grandparents?

That is correct, Alice Mavitta is my great grandmother. Something else is I think there were Mavitta's in Ontario or possibly NY as well as I know my uncle in Mass visited them. That wouldn't be your father would it

the Helena you mention , isn't Helena Cramer is it, if so that is my 2nd cousin
Yes! Helena Creamer....She is my closest DNA match and 2nd cousin.. do you know the names of the Mavitta's in Ontario or NY? I guess anything is possible! :)

Unfortunately i don't know much about the Mavitta's in Canada/US I just remember that my uncle Gerald (actually great uncle) who was Helens's father had visited relatives in US. Helena lives in Boston and there are tons of cousins on east coast (Gerald had 9 kids) . I am in N.Ireland. My grandfather was Geralds brother Walter, and his father was Harry French who married Alice Mavitta. Gerald was in merchant navy and jumped ship in 20's that how the family ended up in Mass. Looks pretty certain that your father was Mavitta

Unfortunately i don't know much about the Mavitta's in Canada/US I just remember that my uncle Gerald (actually great uncle) who was Helens's father had visited relatives in US. Helena lives in Boston and there are tons of cousins on east coast (Gerald had 9 kids) . I am in N.Ireland. My grandfather was Geralds brother Walter, and his father was Harry French who married Alice Mavitta. Gerald was in merchant navy and jumped ship in 20's that how the family ended up in Mass. Looks pretty certain that your father was Mavitta
Yes! i believe i fit in the Mavitta's somehow..lol is your mother Daphane?

yep that's correct, definitely sounds like there is some close association with Mavitta. Helena might be able to shed some more light on the US side of things. One thing I do remember is that the Mavitta's in the US/Canada did not have any children, he may have remarried, I would have thought someone would have said he changed his name though assuming it was him

yep that's correct, definitely sounds like there is some close association with Mavitta. Helena might be able to shed some more light on the US side of things. One thing I do remember is that the Mavitta's in the US/Canada did not have any children, he may have remarried, I would have thought someone would have said he changed his name though assuming it was him
Thanks for the information Walter! I have never had contact with Helena. Yes, it would be interesting to know who he was visiting in Canada/US. If you ever come across anymore information or old pics, i would love to see them!

I'll ping Helena - is there a way for her to reach out to you. I assume you must use ancestry and she must as well i guess

was just emailing Helena, is your username on Ancestry your email or something else as I am sure the first thing she will do is the DNA lookup on Ancestry. I actually don't use it although I did have an account at one time

Thanks so much for getting in touch with Helena! :) I have sent her a message through Ancestry. Can you confirm with her she got it :)

Back