• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Matilda Mayes

Has anyone stumbled across the 1871 census for James, john and Thomas Mayes? Also this may be completely unrelated but a jabez snell frequented a pub on the corner of livery street, Sabina and Thomas lived there when they married. I looked at trees with this name hoping to see any connection to Sabina but no one seems to know who he is in terms of parents, siblings etc

The problem with tracing Eliza is if she didn't officially marry like Matilda then it would be virtually impossible to find her going forward. It would be the same if you were going forward from Matilda rather than back from her descendants.

I found possible parents for Robert. There are 3 earlier baptisms for Maisey children in Great Yarmouth - James, Isabella and Rebecca - parents James and Elizabeth. On one it lists the mother as Elizabeth Sims. There is a marriage for a James Maisie and an Elizabeth Syme 5 Apr 1799 Canongate.

Canongate and Leith (one of Robert's listed birthplaces) are in Midlothian, part of Edinburgh.
Would it be more likely that Eliza went by Mayes as Matilda did once out of gem street?

Has anyone stumbled across the 1871 census for James, john and Thomas Mayes? Also this may be completely unrelated but a jabez snell frequented a pub on the corner of livery street, Sabina and Thomas lived there when they married. I looked at trees with this name hoping to see any connection to Sabina but no one seems to know who he is in terms of parents, siblings etc
May not be related, but the 1873 whites directory lists
Thomas Mayes as :
Mayes Thos. cab propr. & vict. New Inn, Birchfield

Something I mentioned on post #85. It's strange that all 3 appear to be absent.

It could be that they were travelling to or from Norfolk for family reasons maybe and were not recorded. Alternatively they could have travelled further afield in search of a better life but, as we know Thomas (and possibly John) reappear in Bham, not finding it. That is totally unfounded speculation though.

Something I mentioned on post #85. It's strange that all 3 appear to be absent.

It could be that they were travelling to or from Norfolk for family reasons maybe and were not recorded. Alternatively they could have travelled further afield in search of a better life but, as we know Thomas (and possibly John) reappear in Bham, not finding it. That is totally unfounded speculation though.
Ah I missed that sorry

I know this is wild speculation but I wondered if Sabina - married in Cof E and then baby Robert died plus baby John decided she wanted her girls baptised Catholic. Perhaps she felt she was being punished - a lot of "godfearing" and superstition around in those days.

May not be related, but the 1873 whites directory lists
Thomas Mayes as :
Mayes Thos. cab propr. & vict. New Inn, Birchfield
Not sure that’s him as he was a fish dealer/curer and journeyman but I saw that too but a possible. Thanks

I know this is wild speculation but I wondered if Sabina - married in Cof E and then baby Robert died plus baby John decided she wanted her girls baptised Catholic. Perhaps she felt she was being punished - a lot of "godfearing" and superstition around in those days.
Wasn’t it john who was also baptised at st chads but Eliza Maisey was present

I wonder also if her husband dropping pipe ash leading to john dying put strain on their marriage

Sabina was listed as Louisa in 1861.

And the big question for me, apart from what happened to Sabina, is where are those Maisey brothers that came to Bham in 1871?

Matilda and Eliza are in a home but Thomas reappears in 1881 so is still alive.
James' wife is listed as married with a son implying James is still alive but where is he?
There's a possible death for John in 1875, so if that's him where was he in 1871?
Just read this thanks. Will do some digging

What profession does john have. I know on one census he was a bricklayer same as James snell. Haven’t found him yet. William Maisey brother I think married Mary Ann mills.

Like his brother's John is listed as a fishmonger in 1861. He is incorrectly as being born in Yarmouth, Isle of Wight rather than Norfolk and living on Summer Lane.

Wasn’t it john who was also baptised at st chads but Eliza Maisey was present
Sabina's two girls Eliza and Matilda were both baptised at St Chad's. You posted the certs in post #54. We found a possible for John but nothing for Robert

There was Elizabeth Maisey godmother to Matilda as well - wondered if that was James wife?

Whilst looking for info on Robert Maisey, who MWS thinks is the son of James and Elizabeth sims, I found this record on Norfolk family history society for a James Maisey baptised 30 June 1811, parents James Maisey and Elizabeth Sims, St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth...
30th Jun

Last edited:
Whilst looking for info on Robert Maisey, who MWS thinks is the son of James and Elizabeth sims, I found this record on Norfolk family history society for a James Maisey baptised 30 June 1811, parents James MaiseIy and Elizabeth Sims, St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth...so not scotland
30th Jun
Isabella, also baptised in greater yarmouth, Jame's sister as was Rebecca...so is it possible Robert was baptised in greater yarmouth and not Leith? James Maisey is down as a Sailor on Isabella's baptism record but labourer on Rebecca's record

Last edited:
William Platfoot was witness to Robert Maisey and Margaret Prestons marriage. Elizabeth Easter was the other witness. William Platfoot married Elizabeth Preston 1810, St Nicholas, Greater Yarmouth...a relative of margarets? There are two other marriage records for him but dont know if its the same person. One marriage in 1803 another 1805.

William Easter is witness to William maisey's marriage to mary ann mills, the other witness Mary Kerrison

Sabina's two girls Eliza and Matilda were both baptised at St Chad's. You posted the certs in post #54. We found a possible for John but nothing for Robert

There was Elizabeth Maisey godmother to Matilda as well - wondered if that was James wife?
Potentially yes, and a Mrs Eliza Masey was on a trade directory entry at the same Slaney street address as Sabina and Thomas

Could be the case. I hadn’t clocked CofE marriage. So yeah possibly

At the risk of going of track *though I think Sabina is a dead-end)...

Elizabeth Downing m. ? Phillips somewhere and she then m. William Preston 1798 Great Yarmouth, before m. William Platfoot in 1810 Great Yarmouth.

Last edited:
Okay. Was looking at William Maisey, brother of James, thomas mayes...I believe he married mary ann mills and they had a daughter Mary Ann Maisey. Can’t find birth reg only baptism record. Found birth reg for Robert her brother but nothing for Charlotte Susanna her sister. I believe she married in 1880 Henry Joseph Rawlings. I think he's younger than her. I found a 1851, 1861, 1891 and 1911 census. In 1911 - 91 and 1911 she's in yarmouth workhouse. I found a death record for Henry Joseph Rawlings in the workhouse, same one perhaps as Mary Ann. Other peoples trees seem to have him dying in essex but they have mixed up a joseph rawlings with Henry Joseph. I cant find the other census's for Mary Ann. I cant find the census 1891 or 1901, 1911 for him = Yet! MWS will check tree for phillips. I will check norfolk records for william preston
Henry Joseph Rawlings
Age59
Record TypeBurial
Birth Dateabt 1854
Death Dateabt 1913
Death PlaceYarmouth Infirmary
Burial Date28 Oct 1913
Burial PlaceNorfolk, England
CemeteryCaister Borough Cemetery

Last edited:
This may lead no where. On one record mary Kerrison was a witness...have to scroll back to remember what it was. A Jane Preston had a spouse John Kerrison Preston. Note the middle name. Parents John and Mary Kerrison, st nicholas, yarmouth, John Kerrison Preston was born 1797. He married Jane Wheatley
John Preston Married Mary Kerrison 13 Sep 1795
Then Married Ann Bloom 29 Oct 1804

Okay. Was looking at William Maisey, brother of James, thomas mayes...I believe he married mary ann mills and they had a daughter Mary Ann Maisey. Can’t find birth reg only baptism record. Found birth reg for Robert her brother but nothing for Charlotte Susanna her sister.
He married again to Martha Carr in 1861 so I assume Mary Ann died.
1713286946583.png
On second marriage he is down as a widower.
1713286991851.png

Can't find him in 1871 - where were all the Maisey brothers??
By 1881 he is again a widower
1713287358911.png
1713287662901.png
The occasional copy A means something was changed after the original registration

Should point out this William is not involved in fish trade but his father Robert is a shoemaker.

Last edited:
Back