• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Masonic Hall Frieze Broad St

horsencart

master brummie
Many years ago there was a building to the left of what was the Municipal Bank this building it was something to do with the building trade did not have a long shelf life, about 20 years or so, in its latter years it was used by the ATV or Central Television as a entrance or Reception area, around the building outside there was a frieze, the frieze had what appears to be Egyptian characters that relate to work or the building trade, the Frieze was saved and put into store, with the demolition of the rest of the former ATV & Central building the Frieze has had to be moved again I do not know if the Frieze will ever go onto the new hotel or any other buildings that goes up or as a free standing design any road here are photos of the Frieze https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/17386491883/in/dateposted-public/

Looks about 1930s to me. Might have been made around the same time the Municipal Bank went up. Surprised it's made of wood. Wonder if there are any photos of it in-situ. Must have been quite impressive. Viv.

Last edited:
Is this what you want?

central_house_ext_1937.jpg

That's lovely Mike! Thanks. What a great building. I don't remember the building at all. Think it must have gone before I worked by there. The Art Deco style fits so well with the Bank, the Hall of Memory etc. Such a great pity this didn't become the style for that area of Town. And if only the Civic Centre project had been fully developed too. What a classy place it would have been. If only, if only ...... Viv.

From what I can see the Statue over the door way is on the missing list? and the date? part in the middle of the building we (my fellow photographers ) though that the Frieze when from corner to corner, we got that wrong, the other thing I personally got wrong was that I thought that the building in my photo here https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/8423773818/in/album-72157632632841664/ was the the Municipal Bank, I now think that it is the building with the frieze, I must apologize to my fellow photographers when I see them

And another view. I think it's a nicely designed building, classic and not overstated. Pity the middle piece over the doorway disappeared. Although that might mean it's been preserved somewhere rather than ending up on a bonfire. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back