• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Martin Shaw.

OOh!! Martin Shaw, I could Hug him to bits, I think he's gorgeous. Improving with age, like a good wine.

oooh Williams, you have marvellous taste. I think he's gorgeous too......& definitely improving with age.

Hi

Yes a real Brummie went to Great Barr Comprehensive
School. Any body out there who was in his class.
Born 1945 so he must have been there around
1956 to 1960.

Mike Jenks

The article say PD James thinks he's terrific, so do we don't we girls. My sister Jennifer was in the same class at Great Barr Comp. He was always a good looker she tells me.

I remember Stevie Winwood, he used to go to the Barn in Great Barr in the early 60's I think he was a bit younger than me. Just vaguely remember Martin Shaw

Martin Shaw, who was brought up in Birmingham, is featured on "Who do you think you are?" at 9.00 this evening on BBC 1. According to the Radio Times, there should be some mention of the Birmingham Blitz in WW2. Dave.

I had a feeling he once lived in Kingstanding, but could be wrong. Although I've seen Kingstanding described as Erdington. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

viv i think he lived in erdington...went to gt barr school and his grandmother or gt gran lived in villa st where i grew up..only know the later because ive been nosey lol

lyn

will be looking forward to watching it tonight my childhood was spent around winson green not for from where his grandparent lived
josie

Great program and lovely to see so much of Brum. Some of us knew this was coming and helped out with the background research. See we can keep secrets..ha ha.

Great program and lovely to see so much of Brum. Some of us knew this was coming and helped out with the background research. See we can keep secrets..ha ha.

lol wend i found it very difficult...and fancy martin worked at hockley chem and it was nice to see key hill cem...he seemed really chuffed that the factory in clement st that was a rellies business was still standing...i noted he got his camera out...enjoyed that..

Last edited:
I love watching Who do you think you are ,its so informative and gives you ideas and tips for your own research. Tonight with Martin Shaw was especially enjoyable for obvious reasons, for the ladies ,oh and the views of Birmingham were pretty good too. Key Hill Cemetary looked beautifull with the Bluebells in bloom,i was hoping Brian would pop out from behind a tree. I have one Ellen Shaw in my family tree but its very distant and only by marriage, so sadly I wont be following that one up . Angela.

Well done Wendy. I watched it too. The late Jim Hyland of Virtual Brum helped me when I was researching my birth family with areas of Brum they lived in and where I was born and then I found your site. Jim helped the author of Chocolate Girls and Phil Lynott's mum programme on adopted babies. He also knew about the mass of children sent out to work as slave labour in Canada and the States. I was asked by my birth family to help an Heir Hunter locate members of the birth family for which I felt honhoured. She promised me a job but the pigs are still flying past the window. Best Wishes, Nico

well done to our mikejee as well they used his findings on the building in clement st very well and also showed the patent mike turned up...i was trying to help solve a family story that one of martins rellies who lived in villa st was taken in by the nuns so i contacted the obvious which was st marys convent in hunters road...unfortunately their records started a few years after the rellie was surposed to have been with the nuns so no evidence to support the family story...

Just watched it. A lovely episode. Great to see the combined efforts of BHF members swing into action. Well done you lot! Loved the Clement St factory building, hanging in there amongst all the later, modern buildings. What are the chances of that? And with original cobble stones too. I can imagine how chuffed he must have felt. And haven't all of us family historians at one time or other uttered (quote) "Well bugger me". Good on yer Martin, nice man. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Viv
I'm not convinced the cobbles were original. Certainly the pavement further up on the 1967 photo looks to be ordinary slabs. Of course it would be more romantic to think they were original. the building is marked with an arrow

clement_st_1967A_east_side_north_end.jpg

Back