• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Martin Shaw.

That's a pity Mike. Taken a few screenshots from the BBC film. Maybe the cobbles along the side alleyway are original. It seems to have a brick track(?) or drain (?). All the same he literally got to walk in his ancestor's footsteps. I love the letter box too, letters going through there every day for the business. But such a sad fate for the two business partners.

View attachment 93838

View attachment 93839

View attachment 93840

I also took some screenshots of the Castle Brom damage and the map. Will post them on the Castle Brom Aerodrome or factory thread. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well done everyone! I enjoyed this programme as it involved so much of the area my relatives in, and Key Hill Cemetery too! I was so glad the building in the photo above still exists.
rosie.

I thought it was definitely the best of this series so far. My brother went to Great Barr Comp with Martin (it's his only claim to fame unfortunately).

My brother has just arrived and I bombarded him with questions about Martin. All that he could remember was his chipped tooth! I ask you. When pushed he said he remembered that Martin was quite quiet and didn't stand out at all at school. Just going to find the programme on the iplayer as bro forgot to watch it.

Mike I wondered if the cobbles were due to vehicles running over the pavement just there maybe?

He was always said to be moody and one of the points being is that he refused for The Professionals to be replayed, but I noticed today that it is on one of the TV channels at the moment. I thought he came over really cheerful and appreciative of the information he was getting.

I thought it was the best of the present series, the one thing I don’t like about WDYTUR is the impression it gives of family history being so easy, you just go to a Town Hall somewhere and they have all the history of your family including pictures, some people don’t realise all the behind the scenes research that has gone on.

Bernard
If you look at streetview you can see that the cobbles on the pavement run along the front of that building, not just by the entrance. The cobbles are a bit different in the yard and on the pavement as well. Being in front of the building may be because all the other buildings in the street were completely removed, together with the pavement. I would think the yard cobbles possibly are original. When the building was "renovated" certainly the front entrance was moved from the right hand side to the centre. You can see where the old entrance used to be in the 1967 photo. Yet it looks from street view (if you go in close), that the cobbles in the street seem to go into the doorway. that is certainly recent , as there was originally no doorway there.

doorway_10_clement_st.jpg

I thought it was the best of the present series, the one thing I don’t like about WDYTUR is the impression it gives of family history being so easy, you just go to a Town Hall somewhere and they have all the history of your family including pictures, some people don’t realise all the behind the scenes research that has gone on.
I know Nick! On the whole, we found the smaller and outdated the establishment the kinder and more helpful they were. The worst thing was trying to get a copy of a divorce from a pedantic jobsworth in London and a me separating my partner from 3 different lots of archivists who thought they owned he info themselves. Nameley Worcester County Hall, Worcester Family History Centre and Coventry Archives. Not forgetting the 3 witches from MacBeth at Malver Library. Long may you cackle! Cov must have had flack because it has been totally revamped and they didn't keep the jobsworths.

He was always said to be moody and one of the points being is that he refused for The Professionals to be replayed, but I noticed today that it is on one of the TV channels at the moment. I thought he came over really cheerful and appreciative of the information he was getting.
Been watching the Proffesional repeats for many years now, shame Lewis Collins passed a few months ago.

Remember Martin had a sort of bump under one cheekbone at one time my dad noticed it. He really looks like his grandad. I look like my bioiolical (oviously I suppose, but I always say biological it as I never knew her) granny. As I had 3 grannies I did know.

Quinton Cemetery 007.jpgI did some research on one of his family and located the grave at Quinton. Sadly the info wasn't used in the program, probably because the grave had no inscription. I know it was the right one from cemetery records. I hope they passed the info onto Martin.
The BHF
should have had a mention on the program..

There ought be an acknowledgement to BHF in the credits, they go so fast now. Maybe you can contact Martin's agent and pass the information on. I contacted Long Lost Family TV programme to see how to locate an intermediary to get the new name of an adopted child but they will only speak to you if you want to be on their programme, yet it says anyone affected by adoption etc etc.

Just checked the credit roll, no mention of BHF on there either. Pity. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree. In the first series, ages ago, it was different, and they took you through all the stages. I only saw this one because of the B'ham connection. Martin Shaw seemed very nice.

maria

You have to remember that WDYTYA is primarily an entertainment program. There have been programs in the past showing how to do genealogy research, indeed Maria comments that earlier programs went far more into the details. I think most viewers would get very bored if the same , or similar, things were repeated each time. I did comment on an early occasion of to my contact Clem, that it did make me cringe a bit when all of a sudden a census, or something else was produced half way through the story, as if it was something that had only just been found with great difficulty, when it was one of the first things that I would look for. Her comment was that she could appreciate this, but the aim was to produce an interesting story for the viewer (or something along those lines, as i don't remember her exact words).

You are right Mike. It has to be entertaining to the general public so a bit of intrigue is always good, but many genealogist will laugh at some points. I still love the program and enjoyed the research, even though I wasn't positive who it was for. Anything that puts Brum in a good light has to be good.

You are right Mike. It has to be entertaining to the general public so a bit of intrigue is always good, but many genealogist will laugh at some points. I still love the program and enjoyed the research, even though I wasn't positive who it was for. Anything that puts Brum in a good light has to be good.

Yes - though he did remark 'A typical Birmingham day'!! (i.e. raining)

maria

Heir Hunters and Long Lost Family are predictable we all love it and we all get the hankies out. LLF want a good tear jerker. I wouldn't want to bare my soul in front of millions of viewers. People ask me if our search was like on TV. I say Nah!

I have recently found out that there is a family connection to Martin Shaw & after watching Who Do You Think You Are the other night, it proved to be true ! My gt gt gt grandmother was Sarah Shaw, she had a brother called Joseph. Joseph is the gt gt grandfather of Martin Shaw ! Claim to fame at last ha ha ! What does that make the connection between Martin & myself ? Im confused !

"Inspector Gently" with Martin in the leading role is one of the best detective series ever made and one of the most believable.

We are watching the current repeats and enjoying them as much as when we watched the original showing.

My Mom always said she went to the same school as him. She grew up in Ringinglow Road, Kingstanding, which I believe is around where he lived?

He went to Great Barr Comp. Maybe they moved from Erdington, although it would still be possible to do that journey for school. I used to do it for school from Kingstanding to Marsh Hill every day.

I had to take 2 buses to school as I wouldn't go to the one I was supppsed to, so it is possible. There were 6 of us.

Back