• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

I have made a list of some of the pupil's I was at Marsh Hill with, most started in Sept 1966 but other came in Sept 1967 - please add to it, including first names.

Did anyone go on the School Camps to Guernsey - I think I went 1969 & 1970?

Attachments

• Marsh Hill School pupils.pdf
    12.2 KB · Views: 67
The Electronic Organ was mentioned earlier in the thread. Here is an article from the 1966 'Compass' by G. A. Williams:View attachment 158320View attachment 158321
The Electronic Organ was mentioned earlier in the thread. Here is an article from the 1966 'Compass' by G. A. Williams:View attachment 158320View attachment 158321
Have just re-connected with this thread and am amazed to see this article that I wrote in 1966. Many thanks to Biscayne for uploading it here. I guess it was my first ever technical publication. Without any doubt the experiences I gained from the organ project helped me to get a university place to study electronic engineering and, in some ways, helped with my subsequent career in underwater acoustics, from which I'm due to retire at the end of this month.

I have lot to be grateful to the staff at Marsh Hill for. In particular, Mr Fifer for helping me to understand physics enough to apply it in my career and Mr Hellings, who encouraged me to use my interest in audio systems to provide sound effects for his theatrical productions. Some contributors to this thread from Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Technical may also remember my sister, Ann Williams who was at that school from 1962 to 1969.

Mr Markwell commented that the school was receptive to new ideas. New language teaching techniques are mentioned here. I remember using the Boys’ school language labs for French and German lessons. Although I don’t think we got to use them very often. I think Margaret Thatcher either visited them or planned to visit them (but was put off by industrial action at the time). She was due to visit the girls’ school too but it was cancelled, probably for the same reason.

Markwell had aspirations, he wanted an aircraft hanger so students could have their own creative spaces. Viv.

3DDCFD94-73BB-40F9-8075-3DFD3DB8FF2A.jpeg

Source : British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Mr Markwell commented that the school was receptive to new ideas. New language teaching techniques are mentioned here. I remember using the Boys’ school language labs for French and German lessons. Although I don’t think we got to use them very often. I think Margaret Thatcher either visited them or planned to visit them (but was put off by industrial action at the time). She was due to visit the girls’ school too but it was cancelled, probably for the same reason.

Markwell had aspirations, he wanted an aircraft hanger so students could have their own creative spaces. Viv.

View attachment 168263

Source : British Newspaper Archive
My ears are still burning from the times we had to use the language lab. The headsets weren't too ear friendly. I remember how we tried to cheat the system by looking at the teacher's eyes. He used to listen in from his desk, but you could see where he was looking and make an extra effort when is was about to be your turn. We wiped the tape at the end of each lesson anyway. Many of the other language lessons used colourful slides or filmstrips, and a call and response technique. I still remember some of them.

Have just re-connected with this thread and am amazed to see this article that I wrote in 1966. Many thanks to Biscayne for uploading it here. I guess it was my first ever technical publication. Without any doubt the experiences I gained from the organ project helped me to get a university place to study electronic engineering and, in some ways, helped with my subsequent career in underwater acoustics, from which I'm due to retire at the end of this month.

I have lot to be grateful to the staff at Marsh Hill for. In particular, Mr Fifer for helping me to understand physics enough to apply it in my career and Mr Hellings, who encouraged me to use my interest in audio systems to provide sound effects for his theatrical productions. Some contributors to this thread from Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Technical may also remember my sister, Ann Williams who was at that school from 1962 to 1969.
I remember seeing it being built in the prep room between the two physics labs

I was at MHBGTS 1964 to 1970. I was 'Fast Streamed' from 1st form into 2F, 4F, 5F then sixth form. Managed to appear in Speech Days for '67 & '68. Struggled with Maths - took O Level three times and failed three times! Didn't like Mr Terry, but Mr Drury did first part of Maths and he was OK. He organised a school ski trip to Montreaux along with Mr Webster, who I think did Woodwork. I did Woodwork and Tech Drawing to A level and remember Mr Caldicot (also Deputy Head) teaching Drawing. Mr Shaw did woodwork, and a Mr Palmer assisted - think he was a newly qualified treacher. Fondly remember Bernie Platt - my love of maps was inspired by him. Also Mr Kirk - Physics, for my passion for understanding how things worked. His catch phrase if we misbehaved was (in a broad Yorkshire accent) "Right, you're in (detention) tonight". Mr Ball headed up the Engineering workshop and he taught us how to braze, use a lathe and heat up metal for bashing into various implemnts. I made my dad a hammered aluminium ash tray! We all made a typical toasting fork - most of us still had coal fires then.
Another memory was coming round in the First Aid Room after slicing my finger with a chisel in the Woodwork workshop. I foolishly sucked the bleeding finger then promptly passed out!
I did get a bit involved with a Sixth Form Sketch prodution. We did a HomePride Flour Graders sketch, when the lumps of flour being thrown out of a huge flour bag, which were made of screwed up newspaper, but were interspersed with a bra and knickers being thrown out! Absolutely no idea where they came from!?! but the school (and some staff) thought it was hilarious. Mr Markwell remained stoic on the front row.
Many other memories to share, but I'll post later. Also have a few photos which I will try to upload.

WHATEVER HAPPENED to Garrett's Green Technical College, I did ONC Mech.Eng. there IN 1955 TO 1958.
Aston Tech became Aston University for HNC Mech.Eng.

Ernie

I have made a list of some of the pupil's I was at Marsh Hill with, most started in Sept 1966 but other came in Sept 1967 - please add to it, including first names.

Did anyone go on the School Camps to Guernsey - I think I went 1969 & 1970?
I attended Marsh Hill from 1963-'68. My younger brother of two years Keith Arthur Smith is the first name on your list. My other brother four years younger than myself is Roger John. Smith

The only trip that I went on were to the Tower of London.
My ears are still burning from the times we had to use the language lab. The headsets weren't too ear friendly. I remember how we tried to cheat the system by looking at the teacher's eyes. He used to listen in from his desk, but you could see where he was looking and make an extra effort when is was about to be your turn. We wiped the tape at the end of each lesson anyway. Many of the other language lessons used colourful slides or filmstrips, and a call and response technique. I still remember some of them.
The language lab was in room 6 which was my home room at the time of conversion.

Martin

I was at MHBGTS 1964 to 1970. I was 'Fast Streamed' from 1st form into 2F, 4F, 5F then sixth form. Managed to appear in Speech Days for '67 & '68. Struggled with Maths - took O Level three times and failed three times! Didn't like Mr Terry, but Mr Drury did first part of Maths and he was OK. He organised a school ski trip to Montreaux along with Mr Webster, who I think did Woodwork. I did Woodwork and Tech Drawing to A level and remember Mr Caldicot (also Deputy Head) teaching Drawing. Mr Shaw did woodwork, and a Mr Palmer assisted - think he was a newly qualified treacher. Fondly remember Bernie Platt - my love of maps was inspired by him. Also Mr Kirk - Physics, for my passion for understanding how things worked. His catch phrase if we misbehaved was (in a broad Yorkshire accent) "Right, you're in (detention) tonight". Mr Ball headed up the Engineering workshop and he taught us how to braze, use a lathe and heat up metal for bashing into various implemnts. I made my dad a hammered aluminium ash tray! We all made a typical toasting fork - most of us still had coal fires then.
Another memory was coming round in the First Aid Room after slicing my finger with a chisel in the Woodwork workshop. I foolishly sucked the bleeding finger then promptly passed out!
I did get a bit involved with a Sixth Form Sketch prodution. We did a HomePride Flour Graders sketch, when the lumps of flour being thrown out of a huge flour bag, which were made of screwed up newspaper, but were interspersed with a bra and knickers being thrown out! Absolutely no idea where they came from!?! but the school (and some staff) thought it was hilarious. Mr Markwell remained stoic on the front row.
Many other memories to share, but I'll post later. Also have a few photos which I will try to upload.
Great memory! I was there from 1963- 1968. Mr. Webster was my first year teacher in Form 1M. He also set up a corner shop business on Marsh Hill, between Stockland Green and the girls school main entrance.

I still have a book, the Children' Illustrate Encyclopaedia of General Knolwede, purchased with an award coupon for achievement at top of Class 1M.

At the time, there were a couple of uniform suppliers to the boys' school, one being Foster Brothers in High Street Erdington, near the Palace Cinema. The Pelican on the school badge was not always perfectly embroidered and mine was missing one leg, as were a few others. They were quite sought after.

From recall, we boys were required to wear school caps until year 4 and also light grey shirts, then allowed to wear white.
Hair w a

I recall having both Mr. Drury and Mr. Memory for Maths. I started out at the top of the class and deteriorated! I took the CSE in Maths, but think that I would have passed the "O" Level.

I turned a couple of table lamp bases and bodies in woodwork, along with a hammered dish and spoon in Guilding Metal. You will remember the furnace in the Metalwork room with anvil.

Bernie Platt was a great teacher, arriving daily on his Lambretta wearing his parka! He actually requested to keep our class for two years in his Geography room as our home room.

Yes, Mr. Caldicott the Deputy Headmaster taught Technical Drawing. You will also likely recall Mr. Helling, the English teacher. I took English and English Literature, plus Headmaster's Studies.

Another name popped up in my head, Mr. Harap. From recall, we had Mr. Fyfe for physics.

Along with Graham Taylor and Robert Swift, I ran the Tuck Shop during one term and there were a couple of times that we were extra late for French or Divinity. Bernie covered for us. I recall him showing slides of lakes, claiming to be in Canada one week and a few weeks later, he showed the same slide, telling us is was somewhere else. The lake in question was in Brookvale Park!

Early on during my time at Marsh Hill, I worked at Moyle and Adams Grocers on Stockland Green, then at Wheelers in Hampton Road, with Jimmy Bromley who was a couple of years ahead in school. Those of us who were doing well, were allowed to work and come back for the exams.

I remember that as a prank, it was typical for students to blow air into the pump type water fire extinguishers outside the woodwork shop, sending them spraying all over the hall!

Hazing was also a common practice for first years (Fags) and sometimes they were introduced to the "Blue Goldfish" (head dunking in the toilet bowl while flushed) I was tall enough to not get picked on, so never was subjected to that. There were some good sixth form prefects that were decent types including Neil Mohammed. I rcall the day that he was stabbed between the cycle sheds and Stockland Green Bilateral.

I left at 16 to head into engineering at Pressed Steel Fisher. Fred Markwell addressed those of us who were leaving on the final Friday, not with well-wishes, but telling us not to come back!

I found a link earlier this evening to some class photos on Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/dapgy/1361839069/in/photostream/

I also dug out my Class 1M photo. and attached it. I have another copy with all but four students identified from recall about 25 years ago!

Great memory! I was there from 1963- 1968. Mr. Webster was my first year teacher in Form 1M. He also set up a corner shop business on Marsh Hill, between Stockland Green and the girls school main entrance.

I still have a book, the Children' Illustrate Encyclopaedia of General Knolwede, purchased with an award coupon for achievement at top of Class 1M.

At the time, there were a couple of uniform suppliers to the boys' school, one being Foster Brothers in High Street Erdington, near the Palace Cinema. The Pelican on the school badge was not always perfectly embroidered and mine was missing one leg, as were a few others. They were quite sought after.

From recall, we boys were required to wear school caps until year 4 and also light grey shirts, then allowed to wear white.
Hair w a

I recall having both Mr. Drury and Mr. Memory for Maths. I started out at the top of the class and deteriorated! I took the CSE in Maths, but think that I would have passed the "O" Level.

I turned a couple of table lamp bases and bodies in woodwork, along with a hammered dish and spoon in Guilding Metal. You will remember the furnace in the Metalwork room with anvil.

Bernie Platt was a great teacher, arriving daily on his Lambretta wearing his parka! He actually requested to keep our class for two years in his Geography room as our home room.

Yes, Mr. Caldicott the Deputy Headmaster taught Technical Drawing. You will also likely recall Mr. Helling, the English teacher. I took English and English Literature, plus Headmaster's Studies.

Another name popped up in my head, Mr. Harap. From recall, we had Mr. Fyfe for physics.

Along with Graham Taylor and Robert Swift, I ran the Tuck Shop during one term and there were a couple of times that we were extra late for French or Divinity. Bernie covered for us. I recall him showing slides of lakes, claiming to be in Canada one week and a few weeks later, he showed the same slide, telling us is was somewhere else. The lake in question was in Brookvale Park!

Early on during my time at Marsh Hill, I worked at Moyle and Adams Grocers on Stockland Green, then at Wheelers in Hampton Road, with Jimmy Bromley who was a couple of years ahead in school. Those of us who were doing well, were allowed to work and come back for the exams.

I remember that as a prank, it was typical for students to blow air into the pump type water fire extinguishers outside the woodwork shop, sending them spraying all over the hall!

Hazing was also a common practice for first years (Fags) and sometimes they were introduced to the "Blue Goldfish" (head dunking in the toilet bowl while flushed) I was tall enough to not get picked on, so never was subjected to that. There were some good sixth form prefects that were decent types including Neil Mohammed. I rcall the day that he was stabbed between the cycle sheds and Stockland Green Bilateral.

I left at 16 to head into engineering at Pressed Steel Fisher. Fred Markwell addressed those of us who were leaving on the final Friday, not with well-wishes, but telling us not to come back!

I found a link earlier this evening to some class photos on Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/dapgy/1361839069/in/photostream/

I also dug out my Class 1M photo. and attached it. I have another copy with all but four students identified from recall about 25 years ago!
I was in the '63 entry. On leaving and saying I that was going to teacher training college, I too was told not to come back, and not to choose the school for my teaching practice.

I was absolutely amazed to hear Headmaster F C Markwell utter such negative words during the assembly on my final day at the school. I left at 16 headed into an engineering apprenticeship.

I never did venture back. I almost visited during a couple of return trips to England, but then the one time I visited, the schools had changed to form Josiah Mason.

So, it seems that such negative announcements were the norm. I have never asked my younger brothers Keith and Roger about their experiences at the school. They stayed on through "A" levels, headed for university.

Thankfully, my school leaving testimonial appears rather more supportive of my achievements, than Fred's words to us on our final day! I'll bet that the school secretary was kept busy typing out testimonials using a basic form letter and inserting comments related to each student. What she wouldn't have given for cut/copy and paste?!!!

I still have that document along with all of my training history and certifications. I noticed that F. C Markwell only held a BA. These days, he might just be qualified highly enough to be a janitor!

Attachments

• Testimonial.JPG
    Testimonial.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 48
I learned recently of the sad demise of Stuart Vasepuru ('Vas'), classmate and co-conspirator in the production of 'Pinkprint', 'Compost' and a significant quantity of Nitrogen Triiodide discovered by Chemistry Master Phil Tyrell when he stepped on it on the floor of the bicycle sheds.

Stuart had a keen interest in Science Fiction and had a story published in 'Compass' (see below). After retiring to Brisbane, Stuart returned to writing under the pen name 'Lucien Romano'. His works are still available online should anyone be interested.

I am grateful to Stuart for introducing me to the great authors of the day, in particular Robert Pursig, who's 'Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance' helped to make sense of the educational experience.

Rest in Peace Stuart.

Attachments

• From Compass.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
I learned recently of the sad demise of Stuart Vasepuru ('Vas'), classmate and co-conspirator in the production of 'Pinkprint', 'Compost' and a significant quantity of Nitrogen Triiodide discovered by Chemistry Master Phil Tyrell when he stepped on it on the floor of the bicycle sheds.

Stuart had a keen interest in Science Fiction and had a story published in 'Compass' (see below). After retiring to Brisbane, Stuart returned to writing under the pen name 'Lucien Romano'. His works are still available online should anyone be interested.

I am grateful to Stuart for introducing me to the great authors of the day, in particular Robert Pursig, who's 'Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance' helped to make sense of the educational experience.

Rest in Peace Stuart.
Thanks for posting the sad new of Stuart's (RIP) passing. What years range would Stuart have attended the school?

Thanks for posting the sad new of Stuart's (RIP) passing. What years range would Stuart have attended the school?
Hi Martin, Stuart was part of the 1966/67 intake (I think it was 1967 as he was in the F stream). His name is on the list kindly provided by Mavis66-73 in post #181. He left before 6th Form to join the Army Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.

Hi Martin, Stuart was part of the 1966/67 intake (I think it was 1967 as he was in the F stream). His name is on the list kindly provided by Mavis66-73 in post #181. He left before 6th Form to join the Army Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
Okay, thanks. I left in '68, but both of my younger brothers Keith and the youngest, Roger, followed along there, two and four years behind me, so they may well have known Stuart.

I remember you, I was in the same stream (Steve Bishop) and also remember those names, a few others too.... but not heard off or seen them since the 5th form !!!!!
I was there around that time and remember most of the names you have listed. I am Gordon Nicholson but was nicknamed Granny Nicholson because my glasses we always slipping down my nose. One of my mates was Colin Wilcox who I think went on to do architecture. I spent most of my working life working for the Blood Transfusion Service and then after retiring went to work in France for a couple of years. Retired 3 times, now planning my 4th and final …

Hi Pete,
you're getting warm - I was involved in putting the "Bog" seat around the neck of the statue. The Physics teacher taught us well. We lowered a pendulum out of one of the library windows and swung it progressively until someone at the window of the other side of the statue caught it. we then drew a thicker rope between the windows and threaded the seat onto it. The seat, if I recall correctly, was from the toilets just across from the library at the top of the stairs. It had been broken away from the pan for some time due to a previous prank involving Nitrogen Triiodide but that's another story. As we 'shimmied' the seat along the rope, the rope broke. We were waiting for the crash but none came. When we looked out of the window the seat was perfectly positioned around the neck of the statue. It's a pity that no-one had a camera to record the moment. I still have contact with two of the other 'perpetrators'.
I went to Birmingham Poly after Harsh Mill but then moved south for my first real job. Sorry that your reunion didn't get a good turnout, I guess a lot of us moved away for work so didn't get to know of it.
Will PM you regarding Yenton friends
All the best. Biscayne
I was at MHGTSB between 1972 and 1977 then A's at Sutton College.. However, since you were there prior to me and have knowledge of all sorts of mularkey, perhaps you might shed some light on the following: just before leaving the school I did some checking around and found the water tank which was on the upper level accessed by a doorway at the top of the stairs at the end of the building. Usually locked of course but that day happened to be unlocked so I went in and up and took a look over the top of this very high walled massive tank and saw a bicycle that had been rusting in there for at least a decade. Must have been a prank or payment lol.

Two former pupils. Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• 26EDF3D2-1AD8-479A-A2D2-72A78885954B.jpeg
    26EDF3D2-1AD8-479A-A2D2-72A78885954B.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 142478BC-1239-46BB-8D70-9DDD97A62746.jpeg
    142478BC-1239-46BB-8D70-9DDD97A62746.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 40EA6984-9930-4548-8861-B2FBDBDCD779.jpeg
    40EA6984-9930-4548-8861-B2FBDBDCD779.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 24
  • 18CB8E19-0612-49E2-94EF-B01DD6126874.jpeg
    18CB8E19-0612-49E2-94EF-B01DD6126874.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 24
Excellent, that is what we are here for. Do enjoy continuing your nostalgic chats and share some of your memories on here
I was at MHGTSB between 1972 and 1977 then A's at Sutton College.. However, since you were there prior to me and have knowledge of all sorts of mularkey, perhaps you might shed some light on the following: just before leaving the school I did some checking around and found the water tank which was on the upper level accessed by a doorway at the top of the stairs at the end of the building. Usually locked of course but that day happened to be unlocked so I went in and up and took a look over the top of this very high walled massive tank and saw a bicycle that had been rusting in there for at least a decade. Must have been a prank or payment lol.
I was a pupil at this great school 1967 till 1974. I have very many memories and would like to share them here.

I remained in contact with Bernie until he recently died. A true educator.

I remember most if not all the staff of this period.

I’m not quite sure how this site works so cannot share my memories easily.

I feel it would be good to do so.

J.D

Does anyone know the teacher's names? I think the chap middle row, second left may have been geography teacher, Mr Pratt. He played the trombone. (Sorry I think his name should be Platt!)
Bernie Platt. Graduate of Bristol University. Lived in Lichfield and died last year. Brilliant teacher. Able Beethoven pianist. Was a member of The Sally Army I believe. Life long friend of Mr. Drury and Mr Tune. Tune was head of modern languages and Drury a mathematician and jolly nice chap. We were the first school in the UK to go online with Imperial College London. His predecessor was David Terry M.A. Phoebe Fairbanks was the only female maths teacher. Mr Hatton was old school and good.

I was a pupil at this great school 1967 till 1974. I have very many memories and would like to share them here.

J.D
Darn it John, I didn't know that Bernie had passed away. He was the best. He taught us geography.

We were the first class that he had in his home room for two years consecutively. He figured that since he trained us to his ways, he might as well keep us instead of doing the traditional "rinse and repeat" with a new class the next year!

Graham Taylor and myself worked in the "Tuck Shop" (the little alcove off the main dining area) and closing up meant that it could leave us late for the next class.

"Late" meant that if we dragged out butts as we frequently did, we could miss French with Mr. Keating. Our excuse was that we also had to clean away all of the empty milk bottles and orange juice bottles left behind then take care of other tasks.

We eventually ended up in trouble over that and Bernie covered for us, told Keating to back off as we had been running special errands for him! We got a stern "telling off" Bernie style, while he waved around his sawn off chalk board rule (while grinning)! French was easy for me, so Keating couldn't do much because I always achieved good marks.

When Bernie first showed up at the school, he arrived on his Lambretta wearing his green full length parka. The other teachers liked to arrive in their cars as if they were celebreties, but Bernie wasn't like them. He was a great person.

I may have mentioned this here before. One day in Geography, Bernie was running a slide show and showed us a photo of a lake. I forget where it was, but I think it was supposed to be somewhere in Canada. A few weeks later he showed the same slide, but one of us noticed the rental row boats were on the lake in Brookvale Park along George Road! "Come in boat number 7"! We all had a good laugh and that was Bernie's talent, connecting with the students in ways that many cannot.

I've instructed GM Dealership technicians here in BC for over 20 years and as with all instructors, we pick up and carry along some of the enjoyable traits from the ones that we had as teachers and instructors in classes. There's a good portion of "Bernie" in my style.

Of all of the teachers, he was a standout in a league of his own! He had a way of connecting with students, while other teachers went by the mantra of "I talk, you listen".

I was there from '63-'68 in "M" (Slade House) and my younger brothers Keith and Roger followed a couple of years each behind.

Martin

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone remembers Ronnie Spiers, 1966 to 1971, he signed as a professional footballer for Stoke City (quite a good team back then) - though I am not sure he played in the first team. He died earlier this year, after some time being quite ill.
The main thing I remember about him was being put in detention by teachers and him telling them they could put him in detention on that day - because he was already in detention!
Another was on trip to see England vs Russia at Wembley (Dec 1967), Ronnie was sat near the back on the bus and his dad near the front - this dad stood up and shouted "Ronnie", Ronnie stand up and answer "Yes, dad" unfortunately Ronnie put his hand on the back of the seat in front and had a cig in it! Dad "your NOT smoking?" Ronnie "no" Dad "Put it out and come sit at the front!"

J.D
Noj, sorry I missed your post, I thought I had set up a notification of new posts on this thread but it seems not. I hope you get notification of this reply. I remember you well - in particular the bell ringing at St. Barnabas Church. I also remember your demonstration in Chris Mason's front room (intended to encourage us all to join the campanologists) that ended with you accidentally punching a hole in the ceiling! You will no doubt remember the "Uncle Brian (Drury) for Headmaster" campaign. I still have the lapel badge.

Don't know if anyone remembers Ronnie Spiers, 1966 to 1971, he signed as a professional footballer for Stoke City (quite a good team back then) - though I am not sure he played in the first team. He died earlier this year, after some time being quite ill.
The main thing I remember about him was being put in detention by teachers and him telling them they could put him in detention on that day - because he was already in detention!
Another was on trip to see England vs Russia at Wembley (Dec 1967), Ronnie was sat near the back on the bus and his dad near the front - this dad stood up and shouted "Ronnie", Ronnie stand up and answer "Yes, dad" unfortunately Ronnie put his hand on the back of the seat in front and had a cig in it! Dad "your NOT smoking?" Ronnie "no" Dad "Put it out and come sit at the front!"
Sad to hear about Ronnie. I remember him and his Father, who was groundsman at a company Sports Club off Pens lane. That was in the halcyon days when all of the big employers provided sports facilities for staff. It's a housing estate now. Spent a lot of time helping out there, even driving a 2-man ride on mower which 'elf & safety would have fits about today.

I came across this "General information for Parents" handout during a recent exploration of boxes in the attic. I particularly liked the rule for 'Writing Instruments': Boys should provide themselves with a pen, pencils and a ruler. Ball-pointed pens may not be used for school work except that done in the General Exercise Book.

On page 2 are the required items of school uniform:

School Tie Cost 6/6 to 6/11
School Badge Cost 3/- to 5/9d.
School Cap Cost 7/11d. to 10/-

No wonder my parents were none to happy when my cap ended up on the roof of the gymnasium.

Attachments

• Parent information 1966.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 21
I came across this "General information for Parents" handout during a recent exploration of boxes in the attic. I particularly liked the rule for 'Writing Instruments': Boys should provide themselves with a pen, pencils and a ruler. Ball-pointed pens may not be used for school work except that done in the General Exercise Book.

On page 2 are the required items of school uniform:

School Tie Cost 6/6 to 6/11
School Badge Cost 3/- to 5/9d.
School Cap Cost 7/11d. to 10/-

No wonder my parents were none to happy when my cap ended up on the roof of the gymnasium.
When in the sixth form I was given a ladder and, with another classmate, allowed to climb onto the Gymn roof to throw down all of the stuff which had accumulated there. Imagine being allowed to do that today! It was a different world back then. I think that caps had been done away with a year or so before that, so maybe yours wasn't there. :joy:

Bernie Platt. Graduate of Bristol University. Lived in Lichfield and died last year. Brilliant teacher. Able Beethoven pianist. Was a member of The Sally Army I believe. Life long friend of Mr. Drury and Mr Tune. Tune was head of modern languages and Drury a mathematician and jolly nice chap. We were the first school in the UK to go online with Imperial College London. His predecessor was David Terry M.A. Phoebe Fairbanks was the only female maths teacher. Mr Hatton was old school and good.
I stayed in touch with Bernie after reconnecting in the late 80's and visited him a few times. The last time I saw him was in late 2019, I think he had suffered a stroke which had affected his speech, but Bern was still there for sure.

Back