• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

Further exploration of the attic; Anyone here go on Mr. Keatley's trip to France in 1968?

Itinerary.jpg

I am sure Mr Keatley hoped that the trip would enrich us all and instill in us a love of 'La belle France'. However, boys will be boys and some extra lessons were learned: (Warning: The following images may be embarrasing to some)

Dinner-is-served.jpg

Lesson #1: French girls are very friendly. One can only speculate where the left hand of this pupil is resting. Shortly after this photograph was taken, the waitress dropped a ladle of hot soup in the pupil's lap. A hurried discussion took place about the correct response in French. "Arrgh, ma ballons!" was the consensus result, which I am sure would have dismayed Mr Keatley, had he heard.

WaterArrives.jpg

Lesson #2: French plumbing is not the same as English plumbing. Here we see two pupils celebrating the arrival, ten minutes after turning on the tap, of the morning ration of hot water.

Drunks.jpg

Lesson #3: French cafe owners did not serve coffee to the under 16s but beer was available to all ages. Here a bunch of 13 year olds enjoy the freedom to indulge. Vive la difference! (Names witheld to protect the guilty)

Artillery.jpg

Lesson #4: Artillery is fun! (thank heavens for the chocks)

Attachments

• Useful-Information.pdf
    494.9 KB · Views: 5
I was at MHBGTS 1964 to 1970. I was 'Fast Streamed' from 1st form into 2F, 4F, 5F then sixth form. Managed to appear in Speech Days for '67 & '68. Struggled with Maths - took O Level three times and failed three times! Didn't like Mr Terry, but Mr Drury did first part of Maths and he was OK. He organised a school ski trip to Montreaux along with Mr Webster, who I think did Woodwork. I did Woodwork and Tech Drawing to A level and remember Mr Caldicot (also Deputy Head) teaching Drawing. Mr Shaw did woodwork, and a Mr Palmer assisted - think he was a newly qualified treacher. Fondly remember Bernie Platt - my love of maps was inspired by him. Also Mr Kirk - Physics, for my passion for understanding how things worked. His catch phrase if we misbehaved was (in a broad Yorkshire accent) "Right, you're in (detention) tonight". Mr Ball headed up the Engineering workshop and he taught us how to braze, use a lathe and heat up metal for bashing into various implemnts. I made my dad a hammered aluminium ash tray! We all made a typical toasting fork - most of us still had coal fires then.
Another memory was coming round in the First Aid Room after slicing my finger with a chisel in the Woodwork workshop. I foolishly sucked the bleeding finger then promptly passed out!
I did get a bit involved with a Sixth Form Sketch prodution. We did a HomePride Flour Graders sketch, when the lumps of flour being thrown out of a huge flour bag, which were made of screwed up newspaper, but were interspersed with a bra and knickers being thrown out! Absolutely no idea where they came from!?! but the school (and some staff) thought it was hilarious. Mr Markwell remained stoic on the front row.
Many other memories to share, but I'll post later. Also have a few photos which I will try to upload.
Yes, I was there too. Remember all the names. Also fast streamed, don’t know if this was good plan at time,but worked out okay. Really enjoyed physics, maths, workshops, and tech drawing. Do you remember French - Mr Keatley - “Edam ni ecnarF”

Further exploration of the attic; Anyone here go on Mr. Keatley's trip to France in 1968?

View attachment 180219

I am sure Mr Keatley hoped that the trip would enrich us all and instill in us a love of 'La belle France'. However, boys will be boys and some extra lessons were learned: (Warning: The following images may be embarrasing to some)

View attachment 180226

Lesson #1: French girls are very friendly. One can only speculate where the left hand of this pupil is resting. Shortly after this photograph was taken, the waitress dropped a ladle of hot soup in the pupil's lap. A hurried discussion took place about the correct response in French. "Arrgh, ma ballons!" was the consensus result, which I am sure would have dismayed Mr Keatley, had he heard.

View attachment 180220

Lesson #2: French plumbing is not the same as English plumbing. Here we see two pupils celebrating the arrival, ten minutes after turning on the tap, of the morning ration of hot water.

View attachment 180227

Lesson #3: French cafe owners did not serve coffee to the under 16s but beer was available to all ages. Here a bunch of 13 year olds enjoy the freedom to indulge. Vive la difference! (Names witheld to protect the guilty)

View attachment 180228

Lesson #4: Artillery is fun! (thank heavens for the chocks)
No I didn't go to France but went several times to Guernsey Camp.
The boy on the right of the second picture looks like Dickenson - he was in my class (Form 2R)

Hey Paul. This is Chris Barre. I was in the same class as you. Remember our teacher Brian Drury (math)? I remember quite a few of the guys from the class. Andy Rake. Paul Turner. Andy Pratt was the kid with a hair lip that spoke badly but no one said it to his face because he was a hard case.
I remember amazing school meals. Being bullied *********** (Edit) My first day there as a first year I was taken to the washrooms to see the “blue goldfish”. It turned out that the goldfish was a blue Bic biro top in the toilet and when you bent over to look they stuck your head down the big and flushed it. Welcome to Marsh hill.
I seem to remember that one day you bought a small model airplane gas engine to school. I asked you if I could take it home to show my mom and dad. I monkied with it and ********. (edit) it up. You were pissed. For that I want to apologize. Funny the things that stick. Anyway, you probably won’t remember me. I remember you.

Hi Dave. This is Chris Barre. I was there the same time as you. Pretty sure you were in my class. I remember Brian Drury was the math teacher. A really great guy. I think Paul Higgins, also in this forum,was with us. I also remember calling of the register in the morning.
Alder
Barre
Biggs .....
Do you remember that *****(Edit) history teacher that used to lift us out of our chair by the ears or by the sideburns. It ***** (Edit) hurt! We used to get the slipper for not doing homework. He ****** (Edit) who used to relish describing excessive violence in history.
I used to get bullied by this Irish guy ******* (Edit) . Man, he was a real ***** (Edit)
I seem to remember you. Bigger lad with short wiry hair. In the scheme of things you weren’t that bad. The one really great memory for me was the quality of the meals in the dinner hall. A kitchen that was equipped to feed an army. I don’t expect you to remember me. It was a long time ago.
Biggs would be me :) I remember Christopher Barre, Andy Pratt and others.

Noj, sorry I missed your post, I thought I had set up a notification of new posts on this thread but it seems not. I hope you get notification of this reply. I remember you well - in particular the bell ringing at St. Barnabas Church. I also remember your demonstration in Chris Mason's front room (intended to encourage us all to join the campanologists) that ended with you accidentally punching a hole in the ceiling! You will no doubt remember the "Uncle Brian (Drury) for Headmaster" campaign. I still have the lapel badge.
It would be good to get in contact.

I still do not understand how this site works!

JDN. NOJ.

Hi Steve, I don't remember you but some of the names do ring a bell. Exactly which year were you in?
I was in:
Class 1R 1966/7 - form-master Mr Tasker (French)
Class 2R 1967/8 - form-master Mr Marenghi (English)
Class 3R 1968/9 - Form-master Bernie Platt (Geography)
Class 4R 1969/70 - Form-master Bernie Platt
Class 5R 1970/1 - Form-master Bernie Platt
Lower Sixth 1971/2 - Tutor Mr Griffiths (Physics)
Upper Sixth 1972/3 - Tutor Mr Griffiths
Have photo of First and Second years.
Was friends with someone Carrol in sixth form, think he was a fast streamer - so a year younger.
Was it John Hinds? again friends in 5th and 6th forms.
I was one of the main organisers of the Rock Concerts and was Treasurer - made booking through Big Bear Music (Jim Simpson - who came and did a General Studies talk for us on Blues Music). Ross Andrews was one of the team.
Do you still have contact with anyone? Have some contact with Alan Sparks (he was also a fast streamer), who now lives in Holland.
All the best Pete
Hello. Mr. Hill was our Form Master in IR. We were in room 4. Out of the library. Impede right. Second Class Room down.

John Neal. Aka Noj. If prompted I can probably remember all our cohort.

Certainly remember all the staff. Even characters like humyah Pete. Head of T.D and Mr Allway-Jones. Crippin in Chemistry with Hugh Tyrell and Mr. Roberts. And in point of fact I should mention Mr Smith. Physics.

I owe our teachers much and opened up The World to me.

Hi Pete,
you're getting warm - I was involved in putting the "Bog" seat around the neck of the statue. The Physics teacher taught us well. We lowered a pendulum out of one of the library windows and swung it progressively until someone at the window of the other side of the statue caught it. we then drew a thicker rope between the windows and threaded the seat onto it. The seat, if I recall correctly, was from the toilets just across from the library at the top of the stairs. It had been broken away from the pan for some time due to a previous prank involving Nitrogen Triiodide but that's another story. As we 'shimmied' the seat along the rope, the rope broke. We were waiting for the crash but none came. When we looked out of the window the seat was perfectly positioned around the neck of the statue. It's a pity that no-one had a camera to record the moment. I still have contact with two of the other 'perpetrators'.
I went to Birmingham Poly after Harsh Mill but then moved south for my first real job. Sorry that your reunion didn't get a good turnout, I guess a lot of us moved away for work so didn't get to know of it.
Will PM you regarding Yenton friends
All the best. Biscayne
Also went to Yenton. Researching Josiah Mason too. I went to successor of Mason College too.

Biggs would be me :) I remember Christopher Barre, Andy Pratt and others.
Hi Chris Smith here - 1969-1974 - I remember all those names - I also remember being one of 4 x Smiths in the same form. Myself , Robert , Richard and Jonathan. Others included Neil Traynor , Clive Mansell , Kevin Hall , Pete Rentell etc.
Happy days and some interesting teachers - Bernie Platt , Pete Burrows , Ken Oliver , metalwork with Mr.Brown , physics with Mr Griffiths.

Don't know if anyone remembers Ronnie Spiers, 1966 to 1971, he signed as a professional footballer for Stoke City (quite a good team back then) - though I am not sure he played in the first team. He died earlier this year, after some time being quite ill.
The main thing I remember about him was being put in detention by teachers and him telling them they could put him in detention on that day - because he was already in detention!
Another was on trip to see England vs Russia at Wembley (Dec 1967), Ronnie was sat near the back on the bus and his dad near the front - this dad stood up and shouted "Ronnie", Ronnie stand up and answer "Yes, dad" unfortunately Ronnie put his hand on the back of the seat in front and had a cig in it! Dad "your NOT smoking?" Ronnie "no" Dad "Put it out and come sit at the front!"
I’m Ron’s wife….im surprised to hear Ton was smoking he never smoked for all the years I’ve known him. And yes Ron did play for Stoke city and was park of their wider squad that won the FA Cup he remained park of Stoke city old boys untill his death in February this year. He had a bad injury which finished his professional career… in this day and age it would have been repaired and he would have gone on to for for fill his footballing carer… terrible waste of a brilliant footballer

Hi,
Ronnie was a fab footballer and also quite a character.
Yes I remember Stoke City winning The League Cup on 4th March 1972 - their first ever trophy.
I'm sure he is missed by all his family and friends.

Hi,
Ronnie was a fab footballer and also quite a character.
Yes I remember Stoke City winning The League Cup on 4th March 1972 - their first ever trophy.
I'm sure he is missed by all his family and friends.
Your right he was a big character he didn’t give up sport he played football still and he did a lot of running to keep fit any sport Ron did was always to a good standard he was just made that way.
He was a thoroughly decent and loving family man and yes we miss him everyday

Noj, sorry I missed your post, I thought I had set up a notification of new posts on this thread but it seems not. I hope you get notification of this reply. I remember you well - in particular the bell ringing at St. Barnabas Church. I also remember your demonstration in Chris Mason's front room (intended to encourage us all to join the campanologists) that ended with you accidentally punching a hole in the ceiling! You will no doubt remember the "Uncle Brian (Drury) for Headmaster" campaign. I still have the lapel badge.
I’d very much like to chat on phone or by email.

Brenthouse@icloud .com

The influence of Mr Hellings on one of his pupils.

Screenshot_20231218_185908_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Mr Markwell (Head) was a genealogist. He passed away in 1993

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219_020637_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219_020637_Chrome.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231219_021144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219_021144_Chrome.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231219_021523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219_021523_Chrome.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 12
A Mr Hellings production of the Burke and Hare story. Presumably the females were Marsh Hill Girls students. I wonder if Garry achieved his ambition ?

Screenshot_20231219_152936_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231219_152954_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

This was the boys school building. Think it was demolished some time ago, not sure when. If so, where did William Bloye's schoolboy sculpture go ?

Screenshot_20231219_143250_Chrome.jpg

Now that's what I like to see teachers 'doing' - getting properly involved ! More memorable that sitting in a classroom laboriously making notes on theories

Last edited:
A Mr Hellings production of the Burke and Hare story. Presumably the females were Marsh Hill Girls students. I wonder if Garry achieved his ambition ?

View attachment 187084View attachment 187085
Source: British Newspaper Archive
I helped with the lighting on this production and had a small walk-on part. The body in the trunk was a good prop, a pupil hidden inside so an arm could be lifted up.

I noticed on the Marsh Hill School Facebook Group that Ken Oliver had died unexpectedly aged 77 a couple of weeks ago. Former pupils had seen him out and about in Erdington literally right up until the day before his sudden passing and everyone said he looked well and seemed in good spirits.

He was clearly an inspirational teacher to many pupils at MHS from the late 1960s until early 1980's and will be much missed especially as he lived locally and was regularly seen out and about in the Erdington area.

When in the sixth form I was given a ladder and, with another classmate, allowed to climb onto the Gymn roof to throw down all of the stuff which had accumulated there. Imagine being allowed to do that today! It was a different world back then. I think that caps had been done away with a year or so before that, so maybe yours wasn't there. :joy:
As I recall caps were worn up to the end of the fourth year ,we tried to burn some on the last day of term but the stench of burning rubber put us off.
I was in the first intake and was put in 1A it did not take long for them to find my true level as I ended up in 1M .

As I recall caps were worn up to the end of the fourth year ,we tried to burn some on the last day of term but the stench of burning rubber put us off.
I was in the first intake and was put in 1A it did not take long for them to find my true level as I ended up in 1M .
Yes, I was downgraded too. Couldn't believe the slower pace of life outside the top class, but I soon adapted.

I’m Ron’s wife….im surprised to hear Ton was smoking he never smoked for all the years I’ve known him. And yes Ron did play for Stoke city and was park of their wider squad that won the FA Cup he remained park of Stoke city old boys untill his death in February this year. He had a bad injury which finished his professional career… in this day and age it would have been repaired and he would have gone on to for for fill his footballing carer… terrible waste of a brilliant footballer

Sorry to hear that Ron has passed away. He was a year above me at MHGT and as I recall he lived in Milverton Road in Erdington whilst we were at school. I think that he moved to Coleshill (or close) later on and he and you used to visit our shop in Coleshill to buy school uniforms (I think). My wife ran the shop - Focus One - until 2006/7 when we closed it down due to declining trade.
RIP Ron

Does anyone from the Boys' school remember the trip to the Lake District with Mr Drury in 1971 or 72. We camped at Buttermere for a week and climbed some of the peaks during that time. We went in the school minibus and Drury drove it like a nutter. I remember a couple of the lads that went (Mitch Dalgleish and Andy Pratt) but it would be nice to hear from anyone who was there. The night before we left there was a terrible storm and all of the tents got ripped to pieces and we had to sleep in the minibus.

Back