• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marriage certificate changes in England

I am not sure exactly how it would work. This is what the BBC says:

Mothers of brides and grooms in England and Wales will now be added to marriage certificates for the first time.
Until now, the document only included the names of the fathers of the couple, but a change to the Marriage Act means both parents will be included.
The Home Office said the move would "correct a historic anomaly".
Marriages will also be recorded electronically, rather than written in a registry book, as part of the biggest changes to the system since 1837.
The government said the creation of a single electronic register, which goes live on Tuesday, would speed up the process and remove the need for any details to be extracted from hard copies.
Marriages were previously recorded by the couple signing a register book - there are around 84,000 held at register offices, in churches and chapels, and at registered religious premises.
The changes to the Marriage Act were made in consultation with the Church of England.

I have no idea how it will work as - does it mean the registry books at the local registry will now be electronic rather than those in church? Otherwise I suppose the ministers will have to go online to enter the details. Also does it mean no more signatures?
I would have thought there would have to be a paper proof - I am sure I had to produce my marriage certificate to record my name change on bank accounts, NHS record, driving licence etc.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Just found some info from the Government proposed Bill
The basis of the proposed new system is that the parties would sign a marriage schedule issued by the superintendent registrar instead of signing the marriage register book. For marriages taking place in the Church of England and Church in Wales following ecclesiastical preliminaries, (e.g. the calling of banns or the issue of a common licence), the parties would sign a marriage document issued by the member of the clergy – this would be similar to the marriage schedule.

I think that death certs are all done online. When I registered my Mom's death 6 years ago the registrar entered all the details online - I had to read it on the screen and then she printed a copy for me to check as well before issuing me with the copies I needed.
The argument for the marriage one is that any errors are more easily corrected.

cba,

I can't see it changing here in Greece any time soon - the Registrars make great play of the signing ceremonies and love to get their pictures taken. A representative of the Council joins in on the act and gives the couple a gift too. Of course, he has to have his picture taken with the happy couple too. :)

Maurice :cool:

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
A bit off topic please forgive me:)

I love certificates,especially hand written ones, years ago I had copies made of my marriage certificate but when I was divorced I had to hand in the original (wish I had been quick enough to say that I had lost it and given them a copy)
There is something magical about these bits of paper I do hope they still keep them.

As for the new rules I think it a good idea and a 'nice' one ,often Mothers have brought up their children single handed and to have their name on the certificate will be lovely.

oh i agree alberta...i also love the hand written certs not least because providing your ancestors could write we are able to see their signatures...i have our mom and dads original marr cert and my nans original death cert...

lyn

oh i agree alberta...i also love the hand written certs not least because providing your ancestors could write we are able to see their signatures...i have our mom and dads original marr cert and my nans original death cert...

lyn
Can you have your mothers name added to an existing certificate, this would be nice as my mother died when I was just 3 years old.

Back