• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

Post 15, admittedly in the market, but it does portray how many fish and poultry also butchers shops looked. more or less, depending on location, into the 1970's. There is a skill, which I am sure has mostly been lost, of viewing and sizing up birds and rabbits that were hanging on rails. Now it is simply, for most folk as far as provisions are concerned, of looking in a freezer at the weight and price. Is it no wonder that so much of today's shopping seems quite boring! In small shops at least you can - or could - talk or discuss things with the owner or sales staff. Check out staff do talk, but in my view that can be risky; a mistake can easily be made when the eye is off the ball.

My memories of the Market Hall would be about 1950/52. One of my weekly jobs was to go to the stall run by Ada Vickerstaff. To get there I would catch the bus from Ladypool Rd , Sparkbrook which ran up Stratford Rd, through Camp Hill, Deritend and I alighted at Moor St.
I would cut across The Bull Ring by Nelson's statue and go up the stairs into the roofless Hall and turn right into the fish area and the stall was somewhere near the corner. There I bought a nice piece of plaice for the humans in the family and a shillings worth of fish scraps for Ginger and her son Marmaduke, our family cats. Theses scraps were boiled 'til the house stank and the pieces semi-melted into a very thick stew.
Sitting here I can almost smell that fish and see the spoilt cats waiting for it to cool.
Cheers Tim.

I love these views of the back of the Market Hall. My family were living in Worcester Street when the hall was built. I think their first shop was demolished for the construction. They moved further down and then into Pershore Street. They would have seen this every day.

Anybody remember Pimms pet shop in the market hall.
I remember climbing those steps to buy my pet rabbit from there with my Dad in 1960, no roof on it then.

Yes!!
My mother always used to take me to Pimm's Pets - she loved it herself.
It's my main memory of the Market Hall too.

I would be pretty sure to say if any building in central Birmingham was sorely missed it would have been the Market Hall after its bombing. I guess a clear up and getting back into some sort of business was a high priority.
Regarding a previous post mentioning scraps for cats reminded me that in the South West where fish is caught and landed most folk bought whiting for cats. That is now a fish which is not cheap anymore. Similarly monk, squid and similar, currently 'yuppie' fish, was usually thrown back into the sea or harbour!

Hello. Not sure where these two bombs ended up. Lurchphoic.View attachment 114313View attachment 114314
The top photo, two inquisitive gentlemen and the schoolboy raises an eyebrow. Has this ordnance been de-activated? Also noticeable is the absence of officialdom and exclusion zone tapes. :eek: I guess during WW2 miles and miles of tape would have been required - but then it was not part of everyday life at that time.

In 1947 I thought I was grown up and used to catch the tram from the Cap or cab stand in Ashted Row to go into town.Id head straight for the Bull Ring and the place with no roof.When I got there I made straight for the man who sold the fish to buy some Crabs fingers as I called them.It was great to sit there and crack them open to get the meat out..After all those years we now go to Folkestone to buy Crabs Claws.Bring them home for Saturday tea.Yummy

Thanks for the reply. My father Reggie Morrell (no longer with us) worked as a slaughterman there from 1945, de mob, till he was dismissed with the union dispute. He worked for FMC ( fat stock market corporation). I have his old FMC bone saw which he used to saw everything with. It's useless now but in very good condition as regards appearance and marked up clearly FMC. I would be happy to let you have it as a bit of fun to present to your b in law on his big night. Also if you look on you tube there is a corny but interesting advert for FMC from the 1950's. regards G.
Hi Grea. I've just recently joined the Birmingham History Forum. Reggie Morrell was my uncle. I was born in Skinner Lane and my dad worked at Evans and Kitchen in Hurst St, so you might be able to work out who Bullring Boy is! I remember your dad. I have very many happy memories of childhood family get-togethers and would love to be able to share them, along with seeing those photos!

Hi Grea. I've just recently joined the Birmingham History Forum. Reggie Morrell was my uncle. I was born in Skinner Lane and my dad worked at Evans and Kitchen in Hurst St, so you might be able to work out who Bullring Boy is! I remember your dad. I have very many happy memories of childhood family get-togethers and would love to be able to share them, along with seeing those photos!
What a lovely surprise, I was thinking about you not so long ago when someone mentioned not getting snow like we used to. It reminded me of the time we played in the snow, I borrowed moms best yellow wool gloves. These got soaked so you put them in the range to dry in your kitchen. That’s the last I saw of them, burned to a crisp. I have lovely memories too, fishing trips with your dad, family get togethers and gran always causing an argument. You will enjoy this site, really interesting and informative. G

Thanks so much for writing back. I remember the range in our kitchen - black and red ceramic tiles. (Sorry about the gloves.) My dad ripped it all out to make the house more "modern!" It would be worth a fortune now. I've been living in France for the last 35 years but on my retirement wanted to come back to the UK at least for part of the year, so I bought a house in Stratford upon Avon (the Brummie's dream!) I love Shakespeare, which is one of the reasons I bought it, but the other was to re-live all those fishing trip with my dad. I've since been fishing many times on the Avon, usually opposite the church or down by Lucy's Mill. You mention gran whose name I think was Rose Shenton. I've got a couple of photos of her and am intrigued by her history. Do you have any details?

Back