• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Margaret Blake

gemma

master brummie
I wonder if anyone can give me any help. I am researching a Margaret Stagg who in 1868 Married a William Blake in Birmingham. At the Beginning of 1869 they had a daughter born at 7 Buckingham St. By 1871 Margaret was in Birmingham Workhouse but there is no sign of daughter Margaret Jane Blake and Margaret (elder) is described as single. By the 1881 census Margaret is described as a widow living with daughter 'Jane' in Hampton St Birmingham. In 1884 Margaret has a son with a William Mack and in 1885 they have a daughter Louisa. On Louisas birth certificate the mother is described as Margaret Mack late Blake formerly Stagg. I am unable to find any marriage for a William Mack and Margaret Blake or Margaret Stagg. Could it be they never married. The only death I can find for a William Blake is in Worcestershire Sept quarter 1871.
Louisa Mack was born in the Workhouse Western Road. Would there be any records recording the birth in the workhouse or any workhouse records for her mother margaret.
Can anyone make sense of this.
Thanks
Gemma

Gemma, not sure about the Workhouse records but am sure someone else will know!!
By 1901, Louisa was living at 97 Hospital Street with her mother Margaret Blake age 56, sister Jane Blake age 32 and brother James Mack aged 17 and a boarder,Mary Thornton age 62.
Hope this might be useful and I know that if it is, there are a few members whocan give yyou info on Hospital Street, asthey have rels there.
Sue

Thank you sistersue thats helpful. If anyone does know anything about Hospital Street that would be great to hear.Gemma

Gemma, theres a Margaret Jane Blake died Oct quarter 1905, aged 36.
In 1911 Margaret [mother] and Louisa are living with James who is married to Kate, at 110 Clifford Street.
Lynne.

Thankyou for this Lynn,
Do you notice that in the 1901 and 1911 Census have Margaret as Margaret Blake even though on Louisas birth certificate it has her as Margaret Mack. Do you think she wasnt actually married to William Mack?
Gemma

Hi Gemma, I did notice Margaret was named Blake on the 1901 and 1911. I cant find a marriage to William Mack.
There is a death in Jan quarter 1914 for a Margaret Blake aged 67, do you think that is her.
Lynne.

Hello Lynne,
Thank you so much for looking for me. Yes I think that is Margarets death. I dont think she could have been married. Perhaps the person writing the birth certificates assumed she was married.
On the 1871 census when she was in the workhouse it still has her occupation as button maker. Would she still be going out to work while in the workhouse, how would that work
Gemma

Hello Gemma, sorry I dont know if people still went out to work from the the workhouse but it may be worth looking in to. I should imagine they could have done though. You've got me wondering now.
By the way have you got any info on William Mack, just wondered where he was.
Lynne.

Hi Lynne,Ive found William Mack in the 1891 census living as a Boarder with the Newey family in ta court at the back of 7 Buckingham St. Margarets sister Louisa Pridmore lives at the same court. I cant find William in the 1881 or 1901 census's nor a death for him.He's illusive.Gemma

Thank you so much for the great workhouse information, when I have got a spare mo I am going to have a read and take it all in. I found the thread about Hospital Street but I can't get the photographs. there is just a grey rectangle in its place which is frustrating. Thank you for all the help you have given me everyone.
Gemma

Gemma, there are no photos showing because the site was hacked a few weeks ago and allthe photos taken. Everyone is trying to re-post their pics,but it takes time if the originals are still available,so keepre-visiting the thread.
Sue

Gemma, have you seen Jane Stagg aged 2 on the 71 census, the niece of John Stagg b 1837. living in Farm St. Checking back Margaret had a brother the same same name and age. Might be worth looking in to.
Lynne.

Sue-Whhy would someone want to spoil everybodys hard work on this site, it beggars belief! thanks for clearing that up. Im a bit of a dunce on the computor so I thought it was me going barmy. Ill keep checking. Ive read that link you sent me about the workhouses. Not commfortable reading. What a different life we have today. Really heart wrenching.
Lynne- You are so right. I cant believe I didnt see 'Jane' there. John is my 4 x Grt Grandfather so I did that line a little while ago. Im not filling out the tree with more info and I didnt check her there. That has cleared up a confusion for me. I suppose they called her Jane as her mom is Margaret aswell. Really appreciating you pointing this out to me.
Gemma

Just to let know just got the death certificate info for Margaret Jane Blake. She died in the workhouse in 1905 aged 36 of heart failure. what a sad life she mush have had.
Thanks so much ladies
Gemma

Back