• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mann/Bannister Family Farm St, Wheelers St, Hockley, Lozells

SusanSmith

proper brummie kid
Does anyone remember the Mann or Bannister families from the above areas? Dennis Mann was born 1927 and Lily Bannister was born 1926, They went to Burbury St School. Lived in Wheelers Street from about 1956 onwards but their parents may have lived there a lot longer than that.

welcome to the forum susan..if you go to the wheeler st thread there should be some old pics of it...

lyn

Thanks Lyn, I will check out the pics. I am just starting on tracing my family tree and hope someone out there might know my parents. I remember stories my mother told us but a little vague on names etc. What would be the best place to start tracing back on family records? Susan

hi susan...forgot to say there is also a thread for farm st with some photos on..all round that way is my neck o the woods..

there are plenty of folk on here to help you if you ever hit brick walls but if you can i would subcribe to either genes reunited or ancestry.co ..i started off by searching the census records for my family with genes..you could pay for just a months subs if you wanted to see how you like it and get on..

any help just ask...
possable chance my dad may know dennis man and lily bannister as he was born in 1929 and also went to burbury st school for a while..dad was also one of the local window cleaners and drank in most if not all of the pubs around there...i will ask him when i visit him next week..

lyn

You can still try Ancestry for a free two week trial Susan, type in "free ancestry trial" on google and it will give you the link.
Also helpful sometimes is the free Mormon Church site, familysearch.org.
Good luck with your search, if you hit a brick wall, post it and someone will have a look for you.
Sue

thanks sue i had forgotton about the free 2 week trial on ancestry..:encouragement:

hi susan...forgot to say there is also a thread for farm st with some photos on..all round that way is my neck o the woods..

there are plenty of folk on here to help you if you ever hit brick walls but if you can i would subcribe to either genes reunited or ancestry.co ..i started off by searching the census records for my family with genes..you could pay for just a months subs if you wanted to see how you like it and get on..

any help just ask...
possable chance my dad may know dennis man and lily bannister as he was born in 1929 and also went to burbury st school for a while..dad was also one of the local window cleaners and drank in most if not all of the pubs around there...i will ask him when i visit him next week..

lyn

Thank you both Lyn and Sue for the information. I am so looking forward to discovering more so I will check the links you have provided. My mom and dad came from quite large families so my mom had many brothers and sisters one possibly born in 1929. Some of the names I remember are Pauline, Ada, Violet, Ronnie, Billy (William), Norman, Leonard and I think there was a George, Frank and others but can't remember their names. One of the pubs I remember my dad going to was called The Duke but not sure exactly where. His father (Harry) worked at Lucas's, his mother's name was Elizabeth. His sisters and brothers were; Dolly, Joan, Jean, Margie, Janet, Ronnie, Sammy and Johnny. I know my dad was in the army and I do have his army number but had no success finding him on Forces Records website. I guess I will have to try something else.
Thanks again,
Susan

hi susan..the pub you mentioned would be the duke of cambridge corner of farm st and gt king st near to the lucas factory..here is a pic of the original duke of cambridge dated 1937..it was demolished not long after and another one built but sadly that has now gone as is the lord byron another pub close to the lucas factory..my dad also worked at lucas..mind you i think most of the locals did back in those days...

duke of cambridge dated..1937

dukeofcambridgekingsstreetfarmstreet1937.jpg

the duke of cambridge that replaced the old one..

dukeofcambridgefarmstreet.jpg

the lord byron..you can just make out the lucas factory behind..i was lucky enough to go into both of these pubs before they were demolished...

lyn

lordbyronfarmst.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Susan, you can look up military records on Ancestry, you may find something there, but there a couple of the forum members who are experts at finding military history, who may be able to help, they found my great uncles records when I thought I had looked everywhere!
With all the details you have it should make things easier to find the families, I would start with the 1911 and go backwards.
Sue

hi sue im not too sure but if susan is looking for her dads army records i dont think they are online as he was not born till 1929..someone will correct if i am wrong...

lyn

susan could look to see if her grandad was in the army sue..i was lucky enough to find both of my grandads records considering that i was told some 60% of the war records were lost during WW2 bombings..

anyhow good luck susan and just give us a shout if you need anymore help..

lyn

I knew Joan & Jean, they were in the same Tap & Ballet dance class as me 194o -45. at Burbury St schoo. they lived in Wheeler St ,between Bridge St & New John St.

Jean

susansmith..l had a g/aunt who lived on lozells... lily bannister nee bonning married william edward bannister june 12th 1905..could this be the same family....Brenda

HI Susanne
i would like to mention that a bannister family lived a couple of doors awaway from us during the early fifties
and that was at number three cromwell terrace lichfield rd aston birmingham 6
i can recall a person dying there in the early fifties and that left the two peoplei i think it was the husband
there was an elderly lady living there and a daughter which after the death they never came out very much ;
and i beleive they was of a religious nature like i was orshould i say my family growing up ;
they would attend a church of some kind sundays was the time to see them coming and gong back and forth to the house
but after there death we would never see them rarely
and i must add to the fact to add to the beleive of there relegiuos beleive on there wall
along side there front door on the wall in sea shells was spaced out was the lettering of a sentece was ;[ jesus saves ]
it looked good and it made a statement ;
going on the fact that sister sue mentioning the church record it could be very well bear fruit for you
and really lozells was a stone throw from lichfield rd ; we lived at 5/ 92 lichfield rd they was number 3 ;comwell terace which was next to thompsons the pork butchers on lichfield rd and there other shop was listed at aston cross but the lichfield rd was where they slaughtered the pigs andnot at aston cross
the bannisters was neibours to the jarratts family and the gaskins and the other side was olly newman she was a very old lady
so if some-one can do the register of electrol roll for cromwell square aston during that perids bannisters will show you the excact christian names as to was there and see if the christian names match your ; i would not be surprized if they do not ;
best of luck sue and i will watch and follow you on this one ; best wishes astonian;;

My husband is Trevor Mann and grew up on Abbey Street Hockley. He had 2 brothers Derek and Graham and his mom was Gladys and dad was Harold. Mrs Powell was a good friend of his moms.

Back