• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lying-in Hospital Islington

Grade 2 listed
80 Broad Street and boundary walls to front

Heritage Category:Listed Building

Grade:II

List Entry Number:1075733

Date first listed:08-Jul-1982

List Entry Name:80 Broad Street and boundary walls to front

Statutory Address:80 Broad Street, Birmingham, B15 1AU

Last edited:
Contents of another earlier thread added , together with two other earlier posts concerning the hospital

(Couldn't post before as I needed my laptop). NB the links look the same but actually lead to different info.
Further to the listing:
Two recent photos here and the site does not look well cared for in these

Interesting to read the history

It last sold in 2022 - from "The Move market website"

Property summary

80 Broad Street, Birmingham is a freehold property - it is ranked as the most expensive property in B15 1AU, with a valuation of £4,486,000.

Since it last sold in March 2022 for £5,200,000, its value has decreased by £714,000.

A 1907 account and plan of the hospital.The charity started up in 1842. Think it would have been mostly midwives delivering babies in homes at that time.

The records of registration were improved after 1844, so there are/were records for registrations in 1862 (ref. post #1) - somewhere.

Viv

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230724_112722_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_112722_Chrome.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230724_112816_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_112816_Chrome.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230724_110718_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_110718_Chrome.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
(Couldn't post before as I needed my laptop). NB the links look the same but actually lead to different info.
Further to the listing:
Two recent photos here and the site does not look well cared for in these

Interesting to read the history
oh what a shame jan given its years of history

lyn

I know - I did check planning site but couldn't spot anything. I suppose the listing limits what can be done and therefore restricts use.

I know - I did check planning site but couldn't spot anything. I suppose the listing limits what can be done and therefore restricts use.
plus it is a large building to take on jan...keeping my fingers crossed for this one

lyn

The library seem to hold some records. See here:
Lying-in records
Great resource Janice on the records available.

Did also wonder where the original hospital was. That link tells us it was at 21 Whittal Street - there's a separate thread for the earlier maternity history here:

Viv.

Last edited:
1851 census entry for "lying-in" hospital. I hadn't appreciated that until I searched that the road was called "Islington" at this point not Broad Street.

Janice
It is a bit complicated. The directories from 1845 till 1873 all describe two Broad Streets, Broad St Islington and Broad St Easy Row, which is reasonable to an extent, as they are both numbered separately. By the 1876 directory there is just one combined, renumbered, Broad St. However maps from publications up till at least 1870 are marking a Broad street nearest the town, and a continuation road marked Islington , which would later ( certainly from the 1880s, ) be marked as part of Broad St

Last edited:
Back