• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lying-in hospital 21 Whittall Street

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The Birmingham Lying In Hospital and Dispensary for the diseases of Women and Children for Birmingham and the Midland Counties was founded in 1842. The aim of the charity was to 'supply proper medical and obstetric attendance to poor married women' and 'relief in the diseases incident to women and children'. The hospital was established first at 21 Whittall Street

This was the entrance

Screenshot_20230724_141405_Chrome.jpg

It later moved to premises in Broad Street. There is a thread here for the later hospital:

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...n-hospital-islington.56543/page-3#post-797417

The Birmingham Lying In Hospital and Dispensary for the diseases of Women and Children for Birmingham and the Midland Counties was founded in 1842. The aim of the charity was to 'supply proper medical and obstetric attendance to poor married women' and 'relief in the diseases incident to women and children'. The hospital was established first at 21 Whittall Street

This was the entrance

View attachment 182278

It later moved to premises in Broad Street. There is a thread here for the later hospital:

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...n-hospital-islington.56543/page-3#post-797417
This is a surprise. I had assumed no. 21 was either residential or a warehouse/office. In my g g grandfather's Will he wrote in 1844 that he was residing at 21 Whittall street. He didn't die until 1851 and shortly before his death the census recorded him as living in Villa Rd Handsworth with his wife. (Although perhaps he wasn't physically living at Villa Rd, perhaps his wife just wanted to record him as being with her. Who knows.). Is it possible the women's laying in hospital had moved by June 1844 when the Will was written?

The census should not list where a person was living, but where they were at a particular time (though probably some may have not accurately carried out the instructions)

The census should not list where a person was living, but where they were at a particular time (though probably some may have not accurately carried out the instructions)
Yes, I understand that, thanks. But those filling out the forms might not understand that. My gg (there's probably another great in there too) grandmother was Swedish, English was very much her second language. The previous census form had very strange names written on it - until I realised someone was transcribing my grandmother's strong accent!

In 1826 an advertisement for no. 21 is "TO BE LET, at a low rent, a commodious HOUSE, containing three sitting and eight lodging-rooms, No. 21, Whittall-street. Apply on the premises." By 1846, the building was occupied by the son of my grandfather's former business partner, according to several (selling of goods) advertisements.

It's perhaps possible the laying-in hospital didn't stay long at no. 21...? My grandfather's business changed address in 1843/44 and from his Will it appears to have changed to Whittall street.

I will add to my previous comment that it's also possible - speculation - my grandfather owned the building and leased it to the hospital. His widow was a 'proprietor of houses'. The family was also business friends with the Elkingtons and Simcox who are listed as donors to the hospital's cause.

The 1845 PO directory (which would probably refer to 1844 or 1843) does list 21 as just being the residence of William Beach. the 1849 directory lists 21 as being Joseph Barber & Co., brassfounders., the 1862 directory as William Terry (of Callisher & Terry),

The 1845 PO directory (which would probably refer to 1844 or 1843) does list 21 as just being the residence of William Beach. the 1849 directory lists 21 as being Joseph Barber & Co., brassfounders., the 1862 directory as William Terry (of Callisher & Terry),
Thanks mikejee, I think you've nailed the dates. I'm glad to hear my grandfather didn't require a maternity ward!

Back