• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lupin Street, Aston

my dad married maybe lilly talbot and my dad had a sister who married albert welling's
Lily Smallwood - later Wellings, now sadly deceased - was my mom's cousin. Linda is her daughter. As I said, I'll happily pass your details on. I'm sure she'd love to hear from you. And let me know if you'd like to see the picture I mentioned.

Did you go to their leaving party? I have a photo that appeared in the Sunday mercury at that time; if you were, you're probably on it. If you want me to pass your details on to Linda, let me know and I'll happily do that.

alberts daught
Lily Smallwood - later Wellings, now sadly deceased - was my mom's cousin. Linda is her daughter. As I said, I'll happily pass your details on. I'm sure she'd love to hear from you. And let me know if you'd like to see the picture I mentioned.
albert smallwood daughter margaret is still alive, she was born in gt lister street in 1938

Did you go to their leaving party? I have a photo that appeared in the Sunday mercury at that time; if you were, you're probably on it. If you want me to pass your details on to Linda, let me know and I'll happily do that.

a picture sounds nice, you can pass on my details, im albert smallwods son
i have a video of albert if you want to see it and his wife annie too
peter
Great pic. Thank you. I'll sort out the Mercury pic and let you have a look. If you give me your email address I'll pass to Linda too.
thank you
D x

Sorry, butting in again.

I think Dido must be the daughter of Winifred Talbot, she being the daughter of William Henry Talbot and Maria Margaret Doyle.

William Henry Talbot was Millicent's and Walter's eldest brother.

Lily Smallwood (Wellings) that Dido mentions would be Deltics aunt and her 2 daughters (including Linda), his cousins.

If I'm correct, I think these are the relationships - Deltics and Linda Wellings are cousin and they are second cousins to Dido and Welshbrummie's mother/father, who are also second cousins. Welshbrummie, you would be the third cousin of any children they may have.

1. William & Emma Talbot- 2. Millicent - 3. Albert Smallwood - 4. Deltics

1. William & Emma Talbot - 2. Millicent - 3. Lilian Smallwood - 4. Linda (Wellings)

1. William & Emma Talbot - 2. William Henry - 3. Winifred - 4. Dido (Walker)

1. William & Emma Talbot - 2. Walter James - 3. grandmother - 4. mother/father - 5. Welshbrummie

If I'm correct, I think these are the relationships - Deltics and Linda Wellings are cousin and they are second cousins to Dido and Welshbrummie's mother/father, who are also second cousins. Welshbrummie, you would be the third cousin of any children they may have.

1. William & Emma Talbot - 2. Millicent - 3. Lilian Smallwood - 4. Linda (Wellings)

1. William & Emma Talbot - 2. Walter James - 3. grandmother - 4. mother/father - 5. Welshbrummie
Hi MWS: Nice bit of investigative work. :)
That looks about right except for the spelling.
Line 3: William Henry Talbot & Maria Margaret Doyle had a daughter in 1911 and called her Winifred, sadly she died in 1912.
In 1920 they had a daughter and named her Winefride Monica. This is Dido's mother.

Last edited:
Sorry, butting in again.

I think Dido must be the daughter of Winifred Talbot, she being the daughter of William Henry Talbot and Maria Margaret Doyle.

William Henry Talbot was Millicent's and Walter's eldest brother.

Lily Smallwood (Wellings) that Dido mentions would be Deltics aunt and her 2 daughters (including Linda), his cousins.
Yep! That's all spot on MWS except my mom was Winefride, as Gilbersj says. Thank you.

Last edited:
IMG_5499.PNG
Here is the promised photo. Lily and Al's leaving party as they emigrated on the £10 Poms scheme. Hope you - Deltics and Welsh Brummie - might recognise a few. I'm the little sweetie in NHS glasses, leaning against Linda in the front. Not sure who coloured in Stephen's socks!

Correct, my Grandmother’s father was Walter James Talbot, so he would be my great grandfather.

View attachment 166074
Here is the promised photo. Lily and Al's leaving party as they emigrated on the £10 Poms scheme. Hope you - Deltics and Welsh Brummie - might recognise a few. I'm the little sweetie in NHS glasses, leaning against Linda in the front. Not sure who coloured in Stephen's socks!
Anyone recognise any of the guests here?

View attachment 166074
I dont think my mom and dad were invited to this party, they were never invited to any parties at all, they were always left out

I dont think my mom and dad were invited to this party, they were never invited to any parties at all, they were always left out
O h what a shame! Families eh!!
There's a man on the right who looks like Al - I wondered whether it could be his brother, your uncle?

O h what a shame! Families eh!!
There's a man on the right who looks like Al - I wondered whether it could be his brother, your uncle?
The lady bottom left is Alberts sister Floss, and the guy with mustache next to Albert Wellings is Alfred my dads brother. next to the little girl with glasses on right is Winnie Alfreds wife with June his daughter, next to her looks like Millie , Arthurs wife, I think Millie committed suicide and hung herself when Arthur died, Arthur is near the back. looks like my mom and dad are not there

Aerial view of left-hand end of Lupin Street (1938) and map (1950s)

Attachments

• lupin-st-partof-aerial-1938.jpg
    lupin-st-partof-aerial-1938.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 18
  • lupin-st-1950s-map.jpg
    lupin-st-1950s-map.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
I'm so glad to have found this forum. My grandfather was born in 1897 at 32 Lupin Street, Aston. His parents were living with his maternal grandparents at this time. SURNAMES: Webster and Woodroffe.

FS4(19a)TwoLadies,B'ham,Norths?(i).jpg

Message on reverse of this old family photo says "Taken at back of Walter Sillitoe's Lupin Street house, 1909, .... Heath, Birmingham. He was my sweetheart and I his" -think it must be the young lady in the front and her surname may have been 'North' as my family at that time all lived around Kings Heath.

hi jessica what a lovely photo and sweet inscription...do you know what number walters shop was as i cant seem to find him on the 1901 or the 1911 census at the min...and do you have a year of birth for him..

lyn

I'm not sure that it was a shop as the inscription says it's the back of his house. At the moment I don't think that we have a Sillitoe in our family so maybe the romance didn't come to fruition. I'd love to know!

I'm not sure that it was a shop as the inscription says it's the back of his house. At the moment I don't think that we have a Sillitoe in our family so maybe the romance didn't come to fruition. I'd love to know!
sorry my mistake i thought it said shop :rolleyes: would still be nice to find out the number..do you have any idea what the first name of the lady may have been ? the only walter stillitoe i can find at the min is in leamington but i will plod on

lyn

Walter Sillitoe, 19yrs old, is on the 1911 Census living at 97 Lupin Street along with his parents and siblings. He was born in 1892. I have a hunch that the handwriting on the reverse of the photo is my nan's, Mary Ann Williams in 1909. She went married Alfred Ernest North in 1913 though.

Delighted to have checked with mum, now 95, who confirms that William Sillitoe was her mum's 'first love' and that the young lady in the foreground is indeed her mum, and that she never forgot him and had kept the photo with her despite moving home many times over the years. So sweet.

Delighted to have checked with mum, now 95, who confirms that William Sillitoe was her mum's 'first love' and that the young lady in the foreground is indeed her mum, and that she never forgot him and had kept the photo with her despite moving home many times over the years. So sweet.
oh how wonderful to still have your mom so that you can ask these questions...if its ok with i am going to post that photo on our restoration thread as we have some very clever members on here who maybe able to take out the creases for you and tidy it up a bit

lyn

Back