• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

Hiya Mayfield,

I think you're right there mate, the record shop was diagonally opposite the old Midland Bank (corner of Wheeler Street & Lozells Road), if I remember right it was run by a rather smart woman who used to wear glasses but, I think it was called "Rendezvous". I could be wrong though because a few years have passed by since then.

Lozellian (Mac).
I lived in hall rd and s hoped in villa rd and lozells rd I remember the singer shop on the corner with hampstead rd then the cleaners then matter sons across the road was willits another fruit and veg . I worked there for 4 years while at school and all day on satardays
The used to be a model shop on the other side of the road but cannot remember the name of it , I also remember being dragged into foster bros for the school uniform

hello noelle and welcome...i well remember willitts mom and dad used to shop there....think fosters bros was on the lozells road

lyn

hello noelle and welcome...i well remember willitts mom and dad used to shop there....think fosters bros was on the lozells road

lyn
I got run over outside the butchers just down from will it's when I was a kid on April 1st of all days . The house I lived in no8 hall rd is gone now but the back gardens ran all the way down to hampstead rd across from Radnor rd we were able to see all the marching bands going down the hampstead rd to handsworth park

I got run over outside the butchers just down from will it's when I was a kid on April 1st of all days . The house I lived in no8 hall rd is gone now but the back gardens ran all the way down to hampstead rd across from Radnor rd we were able to see all the marching bands going down the hampstead rd to handsworth park
Hello Noello, I remember those stores...I used to live at 11 Radnor Rd! Got my first bike a Phillips from Cowdrils and spent many a Saturday morning at the Villa Cross.

Hello Noello, I remember those stores...I used to live at 11 Radnor Rd! Got my first bike a Phillips from Cowdrils and spent many a Saturday morning at the Villa Cross.
Loved the villa cross, 6d in old money.saw Mary pop in there and I remembering asking one Sunday afternoon if I could come in and see the fall of the roman empire . I was under age then . As I was on my own thay agreed to let me in if I sat quite. Great film even at my young age. And o's much fun at the Saturday morning show .

Here are some photos of the Lozells Road area which Keith Berry took in 1979.
16LozellsRd01.jpg
17LozellsRd02.jpg18LozellsRd010.jpg19LozellsRd011.jpg20LozellsRd012.jpg21LozellsRd013.jpg21LozellsRd013.jpg22LozellsRd014.jpg23LozellsRd015.jpg24LozellsRd8.jpg25LozellsRd016.jpg26LozellsRd017.jpg27LozellsRd018.jpg28Lozellsdemolition.jpg29ChainWalk3.jpg30GkCN5pKo.jpg32ChainWalk4.jpg33ChainWalk06.jpg34offLozellsRd02.jpg
They are from pdf4 in link below

Last edited:
used to cover that area. at work.i never bought any food,when ever i did a breakdown. they showed there gratitude.;);)
happy times

View attachment 147576
View attachment 147577View attachment 147578View attachment 147579View attachment 147580View attachment 147581View attachment 147581View attachment 147582View attachment 147583View attachment 147584View attachment 147585View attachment 147586View attachment 147587View attachment 147588View attachment 147589View attachment 147590View attachment 147591View attachment 147592View attachment 147593
oldMohawk
View attachment 147576
View attachment 147577View attachment 147578View attachment 147579View attachment 147580View attachment 147581View attachment 147581View attachment 147582View attachment 147583View attachment 147584View attachment 147585View attachment 147586View attachment 147587View attachment 147588View attachment 147589View attachment 147590View attachment 147591View attachment 147592View attachment 147593
oldMohawk.............You did it again! Brought back so many wonderful memories and by the way the photos are great :) .

Thank you!

There some are colour pics of Lozells Road in the quoted thread below. The Lozells Road only (linked) pics can be seen by clicking the 'Click to expand' button.

All the pics of the surrounding area can be seen by clicking the circled 'up-arrow' button which takes you to the other thread.
hi all...think its about time to repost these amazing pics of aston.lozells and witton all taken in the middle 60s to the very early 70s...you will not see these pics anywhere else so i hope you find them of interest..before i start the task there is a little story behind them...one of our members ray griffiths orginally posted them a couple of years back and it took him an enormous amount of time transferring them from glass plate onto the forum then of course we lost them due to the hacking...they were taken by a friend of rays who sadly lost his sight but instead of binning them he gave them to ray in the hopes that someone may find them of interest and thank god he did..i for one am eternally grateful to him for capturing so much of brum history from these areas...we will never see the likes again...like i said they were taken on glass plate so the colouring of some may not be perfect but it matters not...the main thing is we have them...i managed to save most of them as ray was posting them first time round and there are about 100 i think so it will take me time to resize and post...just going to make a cuppa and then make a start...enjoy..

lyn
Villa Cross Cinema
index.php

Lozells Road possible old Police Station
index.php

Lozells Road Views
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php
The Lozells Rd images are links to the existing pics.

There some are colour pics of Lozells Road in the quoted thread below. The Lozells Road only (linked) pics can be seen by clicking the 'Click to expand' button.

All the pics of the surrounding area can be seen by clicking the circled 'up-arrow' button which takes you to the other thread.

The Lozells Rd images are links to the existing pics.
As a youth I remember walking all the way from hall rd , all the way up the lozells road towards 6 ways to the model shop. The shop was about 3 or hundred yards from the island I think .I would bye a airfix figure kit , the were lots of em, then walk back only to remember the glue or paint. And have to go back to the shop.

I recall 60s shops on Lozells Road (I lived in Lozells Street) Wrensons, Stantons, a toy shop next to a pet shop, can't remember names. 70s.... Elizabeth Manners, Padmore(?), The Sky Blue Indian restaurant, Woolies (of course), House Of Holland..... And one or two "Open All Hours" style Newsagents/sweetshop/general store in just about every street from "Six Ways" to Villa Cross!

I recall 60s shops on Lozells Road (I lived in Lozells Street) Wrensons, Stantons, a toy shop next to a pet shop, can't remember names. 70s.... Elizabeth Manners, Padmore(?), The Sky Blue Indian restaurant, Woolies (of course), House Of Holland..... And one or two "Open All Hours" style Newsagents/sweetshop/general store in just about every street from "Six Ways" to Villa Cross!

welcome millhode as you have most likely seen thats this thread contains many old photos of the lozells road shops including the pet shop/toy shop next to each other..thanks for reminding me about the elizabeth manners shop... was that a dry cleaners/launderette...memory is a bit vague on that one?

lyn

crikey i had forgotten about those shops...thanks mark sad to see the demo shots but great to have the others to remind us

lyn

Mark, thanks for posting your personal photos. Great additions to the history in this and other threads. Much appreciated. Viv.

Alan., thank you for that information about no's97 abc lozells road.l was'nt imagining that my gt/grandparents lived in a cottage. as far as l remember the cottages( not my gt/grandparents they were gone when l was born) now l do remember my mother pointing them out to me...the cottages had a little wall in front of them and a gate, they really looked out of place out of another era, i'm sure the cottages suited them as they had moved up from somerset around 1890....would anyone happen to have any pictures.....Brenda
Hello, sorry if I am late to the party but following Lozells thread and I have just seen a photo posted on this site, of maybe the front gardens of the cottages you mention, almost opposite Berners Street and posted by Vivienne14 on 6th April 2019. As a child in the 1950s I remember the area they occupied being boarded up and eventually a purpose built shop accommodated Hardys Furniture Store.

There was a bike shop on the corner of Lozells Road and Berners Street opposite from Villa Cross. I cannot think of the name? I may be a little out on the location. time does play tricks
The shop was called Cowdrills and it was in Barker Street, very close to its junction with Lozells Road.

Hi G, at the end of Wheeler St. turn left to Lozells st. What was the shop called on the corner, straight in front of you it sold underwear, tea towels, socks and many more items.

Jackie
It was called Robinsons, on the corner of Lozells Road and James Street. I do believe they had two shops, one each end of Lozells Road, I can only recall the one you describe.

Attachments

• Lozells Road Robinsons.jpg
    Lozells Road Robinsons.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 42
there should be photos of cowdrills and crowder and brown on the forum and also recently we had photos of robinsons both before and during demo posted which are on this thread and posted by our member mark tooze who took the photos...he has lots more to share so we await with anticipation

lyn

Last edited:
Around 1962 I remember a shop called something like M & J which sold fashion clothes for us dedicated followers of fashion. Bought my shortie raincoat from there. It was situated in one of the shops opposite Hartington Rd.

Back