• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Loxton Street School

Sadly this just shows how little interest I had in family history previously. I've just came across this newspaper clipping from 2002 about a reunion of my dad's class of 1951, which I'd never seen before. Don't even know if he went.

Scan isn't great.

School.jpg

Yes! Miss Lumsden class was a wooden structure in the playground I seem to remember there were two classrooms in that structure.

I have vague recollections of an eclipse, I thought that had been my imagination. I think I was 5/6 then which would make it 1953/54.

I also remember a lad called Johnny? Hook, he had a mass of curls and very blond hair, he was killed in an accident with a dustbin lorry over by the flats. His funeral cortège was driven passed the school and we all went outside to watch as it passed.
I remember that - couldn't remember his name, but I remember the accident. I was at Loxton from 1951-1957, when I went to Central Grammar.

i remember loxton street pretty well and not with fond memories. i think i went there from about 1954 to 1957/8. i was asked by one of the teachers to "look after the steps and keep the children off" ... i would be about 7 or 8 at the time so about 1956/7 ... and i got a right slap on the legs leaving the teachers fingerprints across my calves from another teacher for being "on" the steps. i ran home to tell my mom as i lived in the flats on melvina road ... and she came and had it out with the teacher and i got an apology from the headmaster and the teacher. i remember it as a very austere and rigid place and not with good memories at all, i had even picked up a nice whack on the hand for forgetting my book and i would have only been about 6 then. cruel by todays standards

I am surprised; I was at Loxton from 1951 to 1957 and I don't recognise those patterns of behaviour at all. My Loxton days were very happy ones. Still, just goes to show......

hi embee
just looked at my bmd certs and my great grandfather was living at 2 back of 9 loxton street when his youngest son was born
so i think it would be between 1904 and 1907 when he died he was there
josie
I think too many years have passed to get a reply to this particular post, but I have to make a comment in the hope of a reply from someone.
It is not myself but my mother who went to Loxton Street School, and, most relevant to this post, lived at that time at 2 back of 9 Loxton Street. My grandad and family were shown as living there in the 1911 census. Mom was born in 1908, so would have gone to Loxton Street school I think around 1913 to 1922 - a teacher she mentioned from there was a Mr Goer, who turned out to be the new headmaster at Nansen Road Infants when I started there in 1954 (Mr Goer I remember was awarded a medal, the O.B.E. I think, around 1956).
My grandad and family (including mom) left Loxton street in 1927 for a larger new council house in (what mom thought of at the time as miles away) Alum Rock, and the back-to-back in Loxton Street was taken on by grandad's eldest son (and mom's brother), Alf, with his new wife Hilda and daughter Dorothy . Dorothy loved the house, and told me that it was lovely, snug and cosy.
I remember us coming back from town (the city centre) one day on a 14 or 55 bus to Alum Rock, and mom showing me where Loxton Street used to be, it was now demolished and replaced by high-rise flats (which I think have since been demolished and replaced by houses).
It is a photos of Loxton Street itself (other than of the school) that I do not have and would very much like. Also, any photo from inside one of these houses, or to be told that they were very similar or even the same as others where photos of the interior do exist.
I know the pictures I want may have already been posted, I have looked and found just the school, so if they are here please point me at them.

Back